Quick Question on the basics of Win 8.1 HomeGroup security

In HomeGroups, you only share what you want shared on a per machine basis.  If you just want to transfer things occasionally, you can disable read/write access for the group to anything on either machine and change access when you need it.

In HomeGroups, you only share what you want shared on a per machine basis.  If you just want to transfer things occasionally, you can disable read/write access for the group to anything on either machine and change access when you need it.

This is where is at no write access, less probability, then there's also permissions, but that's a whole different subject.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/file-sharing-essentials#1TC=windows-7  for windows 7, but the same applies to 8.

Thanks everyone, maybe OneDrive is my best bet, just didn't want to involve the internet, especially when we are 5 meters away from each other. 

Thanks everyone, maybe OneDrive is my best bet, just didn't want to involve the internet, especially when we are 5 meters away from each other. 

Honestly I'd stick with the homegroups.  It's very easy to manage access.

Honestly I'd stick with the homegroups.  It's very easy to manage access.

So its possible to have a folder on my Dad's PC that I can access and download files into/ Upload files from (as long as I know them) without having to worry about cross infection?

So its possible to have a folder on my Dad's PC that I can access and download files into/ Upload files from (as long as I know them) without having to worry about cross infection?

Access is controlled on the hosting machine.  You can share what you need to then disable access to that folder very quickly.  Or you can have the homegroup set up, but remove one machine from it when you're done...though that would make future sharing more complicated.

Access is controlled on the hosting machine.  You can share what you need to then disable access to that folder very quickly.  Or you can have the homegroup set up, but remove one machine from it when you're done...though that would make future sharing more complicated.

Not really possible to create a folder that I can add and remove files from, on his machine, without worrying about something jumping across to mine at another time then.

Might just have to be a OneDrive of Google Drive folder.

Thanks for the help though, it's quite hard to actually read the limitations of the Windows service online without finding someone that's asked the same question,  All responses are much appreciated and have saved me a lot of time. :)

Not really possible to create a folder that I can add and remove files from, on his machine, without worrying about something jumping across to mine at another time then.

Nothing can jump to your machine unless you've given the homegroup write access to a folder on it (and forgot to change it back to read only.)

Write/read access can only be changed from the hosting machine, and can be changed instantly.

It's really easy to enable and disable.  Try it for yourself.

Nothing can jump to your machine unless you've given the homegroup write access to a folder on it (and forgot to change it back to read only.)

Write/read access can only be changed from the hosting machine, and can be changed instantly.

It's really easy to enable and disable. Try it for yourself.

So in theory, if I create a folder on his drive and give me read/write then I can move files that I know and trust, back and forth without worry ass his machine will have no access to mine.

you don't really need homegroups.. Just file and print sharing.. To be honest yet another thing MS dropped the ball on when they came up with homegroups. Its a horrific system to be honest.

If they would of allowed for a central userbase that was shared amoung members that would of been pretty useful.