Win10 Tech Preview, no way to stop/edit/cancel windows updates.

So Windows Update in build 9926 is only in the Settings window for me it seems I can't actually bring up windows update seperate like in previous builds.

Because of this, I can't stop a update, I can't edit it either. Like windows wants to update my amd video drivers which will cause my computer to start crashing again, so I don't want it. Yet I can't remove it from the update list at all.

Can someone please help me.

This is really ######ing pissing me off.

I just realized when talking with someone that has a build of  Win10 that is newer then 9926, that he still has the old Windows Update window inside the control panel. I do not..... 

So Windows Update in build 9926 is only in the Settings window for me it seems I can't actually bring up windows update seperate like in previous builds.

Because of this, I can't stop a update, I can't edit it either. Like windows wants to update my amd video drivers which will cause my computer to start crashing again, so I don't want it. Yet I can't remove it from the update list at all.

Can someone please help me.

This is really ######ing pissing me off.

Your question was answered in the front page article by "GrezegorsWidla".

That's part of Technical Preview. When you signed for it you waived your right to control updates. Microsoft is testing on us the amount of things they can push via update without breaking things for avergage users.

If you don't like it then switch back to 8 or 7.

Your question was answered in the front page article by "GrezegorsWidla".

That would be fine if it weren't for the fact that someone else with a build that is newer then 9226 has Windows Update in the Control Panel. I wasn't aware of the fact that we waived the right of this since the build before 9226 also had the functionality as well.

That would be fine if it weren't for the fact that someone else with a build that is newer then 9226 has Windows Update in the Control Panel. I wasn't aware of the fact that we waived the right of this since the build before 9226 also had the functionality as well.

Think i might be misunderstanding the problem then.

What exactly are you doing to get where you're going, and once there, what's missing?

Please tell me you're not an insider. You have no idea how a technical preview should work so have no business using it.

Each build is going to be different so they can test different features. They have made this perfectly clear and an INSIDER should know all that. Your complaining just shows you have no idea what you're talking about and really have no business using any of these builds.

That's just my opinion, but I'm sure others would agree.

Has been answered before by me ;)

You can re-enable the old Control Panel + old Windows Update for now. :)

No need to downgrade.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/59053-How-to-bring-back-the-old-resizable-Start-Menu

Come on guys .. this is neowin.. not "go back to previous OS" hipster forum.

• Like 2

You've waived your rights since you installed Windows 10 and agreed to the end user license agreement.

Has been answered before by me ;)

You can re-enable the old Control Panel + old Windows Update for now. :)

No need to downgrade.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/59053-How-to-bring-back-the-old-resizable-Start-Menu

Come on guys .. this is neowin.. not "go back to previous OS" hipster forum.

Microsoft must love people like you.

"Here's new software for you to test! But only if you know what you're doing!"

person that doesn't know what they're doing:

"Thanks for the new software, but I don't like how it works so I'm going to make it look and act just like it did before!  And then I'm going to whine when the new version is missing stuff I want because instead of providing constructive feedback, I  just changed everything back to how it was before!"

Uninstall Windows 10 please, the preview isn't meant for you. 

• Like 2

"Thanks for the new software, but I don't like how it works so I'm going to make it look and act just like it did before!  And then I'm going to whine when the new version is missing stuff I want because instead of providing constructive feedback, I  just changed everything back to how it was before!"

Maybe they do.

What are the chances that some people have never tinkered or considered modifying the registry before.

This link would at least make it a necessity to try things out and in the process .. learn.

Hence allowing a user to improve their technical knowledge and skill.

As a side effect it might encourage the user to learn even more about processes within Windows and to rely on oneself when an issue exists.

Your short term view is good.

But this site was founded on tinkering with the newest Windows Whistler builds.

I would hate for people to be discouraged.

OMG get over yourself. It's a decent question, considering I've been having issues installing several updates, and would rather uncheck one and let the actual update to the preview install. As it is right now, I can't get any updates to install. And of course feedback was left.

I just realized when talking with someone that has a build of  Win10 that is newer then 9926, that he still has the old Windows Update window inside the control panel. I do not..... 

I think you're mistaken about that.  Windows Update is definitely not under "System and Security" post build 9926.  Now I don't know if there's another way to get to it still - I tried "%windir%\system32\wuapp.exe startmenu" and opened modern settings.

This seems to be your actual issue.  Is it the drivers from WU specifically that crash your system?  If you install the latest from the AMD site does it work?

I just noticed this once Audien pointed it out.

You do not happen to have a Mobility HD 5xxx ?

I noticed this too. You can still navigate to it in a roundabout method but it says thats its 'controlled by the administrator' on the machine (something like that)

It was odd at first, but I will hold off any further comments until I can see a future build.

Considering MS have stated that the new update panel is INCOMPLETE, this tweak isn't a bad thing, it is just a way to restore functionality to have some more granular control over the update process FOR NOW.

Also FYI the "old" update cpl will remain in server, and thus will be staying in client, will just be hidden.

Below is the tweak for the interested.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX]
"IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
"UxOption"=dword:00000000

Why would you not want to update? All new builds and updates only fix issues.

Why would you not want to update? All new builds and updates only fix issues.

Some people need to opt out of certain driver updates that are known to cause issues.  These same people are still installing the critical OS updates that actually fix things.

This is the first time I have run into arrogance on the Neowin forum. Usually people assume you are at least somewhat experienced, and see a question like mine as within reason. How is reiterating Microsoft's statement in a ruder way at all helpful? I didn't need someone telling me to just suck it up and accept it, I would use OS X if I wanted that crap. The beauty of Windows is that if you don't with something they do decide is for the general public, you can change it within reason, most of the time.

Thank you to everyone who replied with a response on how to re-enable the control panel. That is what I was hoping for.

As to answer someone's question, I never use any driver from AMD that I don't research. Since every single driver that has pushed through Windows Update is old and was released publicly months or years before in at least AMD's case, there is never a logical reason to use them. If Windows Update had a driver that was not available months earlier and was unique, I might change this policy. You can go on Guru3D and always find out when something is released for AMD drivers. 

The AMD driver that was installed via Windows 10 actually fixed alot of issues for me in regards to issues I have been having. Any driver that I have tried to install fail. Ths one worked.