Help with hyperlinks on my pages, please?

Question

I'm kind of a newbie on this stuff so I thought I would ask you guys what to do here. I'm expanding my business website, in the past all I had was 4 pages so managing the hyperlinks back and forth from page to page wasn't that big of deal. Well, I'm in the process of expanding it to probably around 50 pages. Pages for our Vendors, pages for our different products, etc... It dawned on me today that managing the links back and forth on these pages is gonna get HUGE!! How is the best way to do that? Is there software for it, do you create a database and draw from it by the page, I've been serching google and here and evidently I'm doing the wrong kind of search! Anyway, ANY help you guys could give me would be really appreciated! Thanking you in advance!

8 answers to this question

You would use php and GET method and perhaps set up links in your database and call the links via an unique identifier like link.com?pageID=1

If you don't want to use a content management system, i'd just use a simple php include.

Meaning, you could save menu.php, and call to it from every page you want the menu to show.

This way if you want to change the menu and add remove links, you just edit the one page, and all pages that call the file will automatically have the updates.

all you'd do is add this code where you want the menu on the pages to show.

and put all the menu info in the menu.php

<?php
include("menu.php");
?>
Would be easier to just use wordpress though.

Hmmmmm, I'll have to check out wordpress as an option then. I kinda like the php idea though. Hadn't thought of that...duhhhhhh. I've got a contact form on the site that I'm using php for also. Sheeesh, I hadn't given this part a lot of thought until today and all of the sudden with 10 pages already I thought, there HAS to be an easier way to do this! What about those HUGE sites, like....ahem...NEOWIN? Maybe I just need to figure out a hiearchy for the lay out and give the menu's a more "central" type of scheme? Just thinking out loud.

Sites like Neowin use forums, which have all the url attributes in the database. It then calls them, and displays them. Less code, and easier to manage if you use a database.

Yes, that's actually what I was kinda thinking. Setting up a database and making the call. Now I'll just go on a search to figure out "exactly" how to get that done! Thank you guys very much for your help on this!

Ok guys, php did it! Thanks for your input! I've got 12 pages up already and just 2 menu layouts. Perfect, EASY to manage, change ONE menu and it effects many pages! Whew, again, thanks, I was starting to sweat this one! HAHA!!