XBMCuntu and Hyper-V Shares

I am having a really odd issue.. I have a XBMCuntu on my HTPC (just upgraded to KODIunbtu), and when I stream a HD file from a my files server (Hyper-V Server 2012 Host, Windows Server 2012 R2 Guest), the movie buffers about every three minutes. I have watched on the network monitor and it seems to go steady for a while then spike up then spike down to around 6MB/s and that's when the buffering starts. Odd thing, I can watch movies from it on my main PC without any issue, when I copy files to it I'm getting around 130MB/s. My HTPC only has a 100Meg Network card, however when the files were on my FreeNAS box, I never had this issue and everything was smooth without any hiccups..

My only theory at this point, is that the network port on the server connected to a high end switch, is to fast for the 100 Meg card and it's sending it too much data too fast? I know that sounds like a stretch, but I don't really have anything else to go on at this point.. I disabled VM-q and that didn't fix anything, I did enable Jumbo Packets on the guest and that made the buffering faster.. I guess the only way I'll know if I get a 1Gig NIC for my HTPC.. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Well you really should never enable jumbo unless your end to end with it.. Pointless for 1 device to be jumbo, while the device your talking to no to be.

If your network is gig, why would your htpc only have 100? Sure can not hurt to put gig in, gig card be had for very cheap these days.

Well you really should never enable jumbo unless your end to end with it.. Pointless for 1 device to be jumbo, while the device your talking to no to be.

If your network is gig, why would your htpc only have 100? Sure can not hurt to put gig in, gig card be had for very cheap these days.

Thanks, the only PCI Express slot is used by the video card, can you get good speeds with a gig PCI card?

Put in the Gig NIC and works like magic, and the files start A LOT faster.. :D Thanks! I just wasn't sure if it was something weird with Hyper-V

which one did you get? Just curious, what kind of speeds you seeing now?

It really should work with 100, not sure why your seeing fluctuations in speed. My little popcorn A-110, few years old only has 100mbit and really can only do about 65mbps. And I don't have any issues watching stuff off my share that is at gig.

But with how cheap cards are, why not go gig end to end. I keep meaning to upgrade my popcorn, but it works and have not had any issues watching even 1080p stuff so its low on my list of toys to upgrade/get etc..

which one did you get? Just curious, what kind of speeds you seeing now?

It really should work with 100, not sure why your seeing fluctuations in speed. My little popcorn A-110, few years old only has 100mbit and really can only do about 65mbps. And I don't have any issues watching stuff off my share that is at gig.

But with how cheap cards are, why not go gig end to end. I keep meaning to upgrade my popcorn, but it works and have not had any issues watching even 1080p stuff so its low on my list of toys to upgrade/get etc..

I had a realtek laying around.. I just couldn't see that really resolving it since it worked fine when pulling the files from FreeNAS..  With the 100Meg, I was seeing 20MB/s average with spikes to 30MB/s and drops of 6MB/s.. With the Gig, 40MB/s average, spikes with 60MB/s and drops to 15MB/s.. I have another motherboard with a quad core duo E8200 and has built in gigabit, I probably will change it out this weekend.. I have no idea why it has a hard time pulling from Hyper-V shares.. On my desktop, I can pull up many big files at once in VLC without any hiccups..