Need Recommendation For Graphics Card Replacement

Hello,

I have a desktop (Windows 7) that has what I believe is a failed/failing graphics card. The graphics card that is currently in there is a NVIDIA Geoforce 8800GT. It is an old computer so I don't want to spend very much but just one that will be an adequate replace for regular desktop tasks (non-gaming). Does anyone have a recommendation as to what I might need? Thanks!

Geforce gt 730, assuming one HDMI output is enough. Or even the 720 which is passively cooled (more silent)

Common tasks don't need a graphics card. An IGP would be enough but I bet your mobo doesn't support the socket for a newish cpu.

Common tasks don't need a graphics card. An IGP would be enough but I bet your mobo doesn't support the socket for a newish cpu.

The more I got to thinking about what you said, the more I think that I might not need a graphics card per se. 

The first thing I should say is that the machine will not fully boot in normal mode. When I turn it on it appears to hang at a certain spot. i tried to read the boot file but couldn't tell exactly what it was saying. It will boot up in Safe Mode but the screen appears in VGA mode (big letters, icons, etc.). Even in this mode the garbage on the screen appears. Sometimes it will finally go away but you can still see hints of screen garbage around in certain areas.

The problem is that when I turn the machine on splotches of colored squares show up all over the screen.This is happening when the Dell screen appears (before Windows starts loading.)  They are in different places each time I turn it on and affect the screen when I'm in Windows as well. The reason why I was thinking it was hardware related was that it starts before Windows starts loading. (I updated the graphics driver just in case).

Was wondering what it might sound like to ya'll. ?