How to copy VMs and add folders in Hyper-V

I am studying for my MCSE and I am new to Hyper-V as I used VMWare Workstation for years previous for web development and self study.

I have a few questions?

In VMWare Workstation I could create folders in the Virtual Machines List so I could have Base Images, Domain A, bla.com, etc. What I would do is copy a virtual hard disk from the Base Images folder to another another and create another VM and link it to the VM. Viola I know copied the base Server2008 base image to A-DC1 domain controller etc.

Hyper V is confusing as I am trying to do the same. I tried export VM and then import VM and all it did was create 3 virtual machines?? One during the export and re-importing it forked it again as the virtual disk needed to be a different ID if correct? Also it gave it the same name. I want not only a different VM name, but also folder, disk, etc so I do not get confused

My question is how do I:

1. Create a folder in the Virtual Machines list as I have a ton of base images and plan to create several domains that can get large as I add more services in my lab

2. Copy or easily import/export a VM for my existing base images and have them appear in my virtual machines list without 3 different variations.

I figured I am just doing something wrong

Cant create folders on Hyper-V Manager Tool (I know sucks!) - Just have to name them correctly

Use Differencing Disks (http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2013/05/29/step-by-step-creating-differencing-disks.aspx) - Create Baseline VM, sysprep it, delete VM out off Hyper-V (But don't delete the disk) and then create new New VM within Hyper-V Manager Tool with no new hard drive, when done, open the settings on the VM and add a new harddrive but use the option "Differencing disk".

So your base line disk is used as a starting point but a new disk is created and anything new is put into this. Saves alot of time, FYI use a SSD if you can for the Baseline VHD file.

Cant create folders on Hyper-V Manager Tool (I know sucks!) - Just have to name them correctly

Use Differencing Disks (http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2013/05/29/step-by-step-creating-differencing-disks.aspx) - Create Baseline VM, sysprep it, delete VM out off Hyper-V (But don't delete the disk) and then create new New VM within Hyper-V Manager Tool with no new hard drive, when done, open the settings on the VM and add a new harddrive but use the option "Differencing disk".

So your base line disk is used as a starting point but a new disk is created and anything new is put into this. Saves alot of time, FYI use a SSD if you can for the Baseline VHD file.

Wouldn't it be easier if there was a cloning function?

Even the free virtualbox has this. So far I an disappointed in hyper-v but I am glad I am switching to it to learn as these quirks help me pass the exams.

I will read up and see if I can use your suggestion of a half way done sysprep. It would be great if any new vm would oob experience upon startup :-)

Wouldn't it be easier if there was a cloning function?

Even the free virtualbox has this. So far I an disappointed in hyper-v but I am glad I am switching to it to learn as these quirks help me pass the exams.

I will read up and see if I can use your suggestion of a half way done sysprep. It would be great if any new vm would oob experience upon startup :-)

it would but hyper-v's clone funciton is implimented by the user using ye old Copy and Paste method :(

Use Differencing Disks (http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2013/05/29/step-by-step-creating-differencing-disks.aspx) - Create Baseline VM, sysprep it, delete VM out off Hyper-V (But don't delete the disk) and then create new New VM within Hyper-V Manager Tool with no new hard drive, when done, open the settings on the VM and add a new harddrive but use the option "Differencing disk".

A question?

Can I use the same copied virtual hard disks between different VM's or do I have to link to a read-only parent and set a diff for each VM to do this? 

A question?

Can I use the same copied virtual hard disks between different VM's or do I have to link to a read-only parent and set a diff for each VM to do this? 

Each VM would use the same Parent Read Only VHD file and each VM would create a new VHD with new data. You cant copy the and VM hard drive without Sysprep cause WIndows Server SSID (i think that is correct)

• 2 weeks later...

Each VM would use the same Parent Read Only VHD file and each VM would create a new VHD with new data. You cant copy the and VM hard drive without Sysprep cause WIndows Server SSID (i think that is correct)

I call shenanigans on this.  Provided the computer isn't domain joined you can copy the VHD file and create as many VM's as you want from it.  I'd obviously recommend renaming them afterwards and ensuring you're using DHCP.

Source: Senior software tester on the Hyper-V project at Hitachi.  We do this for hundreds of VM's in test labs with no ill effects.  Secondary source: Mark Russinovich debunking the SID myth.

I call shenanigans on this.  Provided the computer isn't domain joined you can copy the VHD file and create as many VM's as you want from it.  I'd obviously recommend renaming them afterwards and ensuring you're using DHCP.

Source: Senior software tester on the Hyper-V project at Hitachi.  We do this for hundreds of VM's in test labs with no ill effects.  Secondary source: Mark Russinovich debunking the SID myth.

interesting, BUT For the DC you want to create from a clone, create a unique installation or run Sysprep. - Mark Russinovich. OP is studying for MSCE so he will want or need to create labs with DCs so sysprep would be needed.