Remove Media Center, but keep XP

I assume they are two separate installations. If so, just boot to XP and delete the systemroot for MCE (the folder to which MCE is installed). Then edit the boot.ini file and remove the line referring to MCE.

Erm... why would you want to remove MCE?

MCE is just XP Pro except with the Media Center add-on and removed domain login abilities.

There is no viable reason to remove MCE...

I just dont need MCE ;)

my laptop is coming with it, and i have no media use for it

So i want to trash it to save room on the drive and speed it up a few

The only possible way to remove MCE is to remove the folders where MCE is stored, but that might cause problems in XP since it's integrated into XP. The only possible way is to get a regular copy of XP. MCE doesn't really slow down XP at all. It's just another program. Kinda like having Windows Media Player. MCE is the same thing. Just a seperate Application. Just dont use it. It doesn't take up more than 500mb.

In services.msc,disabled Media Center Extender, Receiver, and Scheduler .. and then went on to msconfig to disable ehtray.exe, which also got rid of ehmsas.exe.

Is that true?

If you get the MCE XP install disks, you can make it only install the XP portion by entering a non-MCE cd-key (or... maybe you can try selecting "ignore" when it asks you for the second disk. MCE comes in 2 cds.).

10 Bucks is not bad. Most companies charge 30 dollars plus shipping and handling. I say get it, but make sure you have a Windows XP Pro key that would allow you to install XP without MCE. If you have an XP key, it won't ask for the 2nd cd to install.

the disk from dell will be one dvd not two cd. call them and no matter what they say about you not needing a restore cd becuase of a hidden partion that dell installs, tell them to send the disk anyway. it will look like a bill from dell, but if you call you will be told there is no charge. this is what i and a friend both had to do. i can tell you that it took the good part of an hour to get past the (you don't need restore disks). try your best to stay calm, remember its not the person on the phones fault. a year ago i read on the dell forum that they have to send the disks if you request them. good luck.

mce doesnt hardly take up any more room than xp, just stay with mce, it looks better and you might as well just keep it.

your harddrive cant be THAT small that you NEED the space after installing xp

mce doesnt hardly take up any more room than xp, just stay with mce, it looks better and you might as well just keep it.

your harddrive cant be THAT small that you NEED the space after installing xp

Its a 60gb SATA drive in my laptop...but i planing on dumping some of my music on there so i will like to squeeze the most available space

• 1 year later...

I'm in stitches reading this old thread. I have XP MCE 2005, and am researching the same question (dump Media center, keep XP). Just don't use it? Maybe earlier versions were different, but on my computer, MC is in fact like a virus I can't escape. It opens on it's own and it's full of problematic glitches that freeze my computer. I have already shut down services, and all the auto functions I can find, but this could go on forever.....

But the main reason I want to dump it is very simple: I have other software and hardware that just will not work properly if MC is present. Period.

I don't suppose there's any new info re getting rid of MC without doing a reinstall?