Norton product patch for MS Security Center

Question

Well I've managed to snag the WMI patch from my own PC when LiveUpdate was updating to make NAV & NIS work with the MS Security Center.

Since Symantec won't release an individual XP SP2 patch on their site to support their consumer products (they might - but who knows? :unsure:), this is your best bet to getting the WMI patch without waiting for LiveUpdate to get it for you (for the impatient n00bs :crazy:) :yes:. But also for people who might want to keep a copy since it's very small and update without using the net.

This currently works for 2004 products, though it may work on earlier versions as well - try it at your own risk though ( I'm in no way responsible if anything negative happens to your PC :ninja:).

I'm gonna upload it to my Neowin webspace first then provide a link here :)

If the patch doesn't work, tell me and I'll close the thread as it was pointless :cool:

LINK - Norton WMI Update

Run the .MSI, since that's the only thing that works in the folder :laugh:

Radish?

post-12-1092363438.jpg

a) I don't see a patch attachment

b) I don't see the problem in using LiveUpdate.

A computer that doesn't have internet access probably won't need the update anyway.

radish dude , if i get this & if it would wrk on mah norton 2002 id be sooooo gr8ful to you , thnx

Please post and let us know if it does work with 2002, ok?

Thanks,

BK

YAY !!!!!!!!!!! , it wrks it wrks it wrks , even on mah ol'ass norton 2002 , thnx a ton radish , may you live a 1000 moons ( old egyptian praise) ................thnx for da sweet stuff

doesn't work for me. I am running NAV 2004 and when i try and run the MSI I get a box that comes up : A product that requires Norton WMI update is already installed on this system.

You press OK and thats it.

Liveupdate says that I am all uptodate however I still don't have sp2 recognising that I have NAV installed yet.

Any ideas?

It sounds like you've already got the update installed since you're running 2K4, it should have been offered to you via liveupdate.

Well you'd think so but my SP2 Security Center still doesn't report any antivirus beng installed.

I can't even get norton 2004 INSTALLED on my machine!? Has anyone had this problem? I am not sure how one goes about making norton actually install itself on the new windows after formating the computer? Do I actually have to try to modify something on the CD even after a patch comes out?

yep works NAV2002 recognised, however "NIS2002 is installed, but its status is unknown. Windows does not detect all firewalls.

Good to know on the NAV, and I think I'd try using the MS firewall. It makes it easy to handle local networking while still providing inbound and outbound protection. (Y)

I believe it does in SP2. :)

Nope it does not. The warning that pop's up for an individual program is when an outside computer tries to connect to you, not vice-versa, so it's still only inbound protection.

Nope it does not. The warning that pop's up for an individual program is when an outside computer tries to connect to you, not vice-versa, so it's still only inbound protection.

That is horrible! I could have sworn I read that it was supposed to do both inbound and outbound! Did anyone else read that?

Thanks for correcting me, by the way. I genuinely thought it was printed that it would have both incoming and outbound blocking, similar to Zone Alarm. Oh man...

Yes, it does do outbound.

Yes, it does do outbound.

Did some checking - PC World says the final does not.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117380,00.asp

Most commercial firewalls include a feature to stop all but authorized applications from sending data to the Internet; this stops malicious code from sending unauthorized communications, and also prevents PCs from being hijacked and used to send spam or participate in distributed denial-of-service attacks. Windows Firewall, however, filters only incoming traffic, allowing any application to send outbound packets, a fact which some industry observers have said makes it less useful for serious protection.

"It still isn't as robust as many third-party host-based firewalls," writes Jeff Fellinge, information security officer at media company aQuantive, in a recent analysis of the firewall.

I'm really confused. ???