Vista Explorer

Anybody tell me yet how to customize this? Sure someone must know. I'm not really familiar wih desktop x, although I have 2.0 on my system from ages ago. Still doesn't seem to help me edit this though. Just replacing png's would be enough.

586280396[/snapback]

It's a gadget...a self contained widget. Meaning you don't have to have DX or any other program on your system to use it. It also means it is a program (i.e a *.exe) and can only be edited by the author using DX 3.1 pro.

This to me is really cool and shows what a gadget can do.

EDIT: Just for a show of support, I posted a small article of this over at wincustomize. This is definately something that should be shown off.

Edited by AthleticTrainer1981

Thank you for all the awesome comments!

Yes... I do plan on implementing resizing and maximizing, but right now I need to get somebody to do that for me. I will eventually learn code* so that I can do all that and more to make this a useable explorer/browser. In order to put in resizing, however... I would have to cut-up the backround and kick up the memory usage (which is already around 22k, for me). The glass and shadows are actually one image, to save memory.

*Yes that's right, I don't know code. What are you going to do about it?

586276610[/snapback]

I want the Menu bar, the top shellstyle is problem based on visual styles. I was actually upset that you took it out

everthing can be edited somehow. But great work anyway, really shows what can be done with a lot of imagination and effort. Most impressive

I think this is a good step in the right direction!! I'd like to see an up one folder button.....and the folder path to show in the address bar

Alright... so it's 1-0 for the menu bar, I think I'll try to put it back it :p . Problem is function; the menu bar can't do anything until I learn more code.

I see this doesn't work very quickly on some machines, and I'm sorry but I can't help you :no: . I have the code and graphics as clean and as minimal as they could possibly get, and with the prospect of new features, that will make it a little slower.

For some who haven't used gadgets before: it's easy. Just run the app. You don't need any outside parent programs, because it's standalone.

On a graphical note, the address bar/search bar are the same thing. I hope to have searching features in Beta 2. The address bar and search bar seem to be fairly dynamic in that they change according to visual styles. I don't know why this happens, but I can try to fix it by Beta 2.

For anyone who is actually testing this for bugs/errors or wants to improve on Vista Explorer, please send any:

-bugs

-graphics

-code

-suggestions

Here: andrew-gw@hotmail.com

For those of you who wanted screenshots; here's one of VE in my folder, and one replying on Neowin:

screenie18yj.th.jpg screenie27my.th.jpg

Don't ask about the new name and icon... it's a big surprise, if I ever get around to it. :ninja:

All I have to say is this:

screenie35ax.jpg

:yes:

I like this. An excellent use for DX to create a gadget. However I get the normal shellstyle view, not the one with the dark color across the bottom. I downloaded from deviantart.

Its pretty good considering you don't know much code. I hope someone helps you along who knows how as this project is looking good. Just a little odd at first having a title bar I can see through lol.

I like this.  An excellent use for DX to create a gadget.  However I get the normal shellstyle view, not the one with the dark color across the bottom.  I downloaded from deviantart.

Its pretty good considering you don't know much code.  I hope someone helps you along who knows how as this project is looking good.  Just a little odd at first having a title bar I can see through lol.

586282992[/snapback]

Vista Explorer behaves exactly as a normal window would; with fancy graphics around it. Some visual styles (such as mine, in the screenshots) have a bottom-oriented shellstyle like Longhorn. If you're using classic, however, you're going to get the classic shellstyle. ;)

Well I am honestly blown away by this. For someone who doesn't know much code, you sure did a bang up job on this! I hope for all our sakes you learn more, I know that's selfish, but I think ya got some talent there. :yes:

This is really well done. I've already asked the WC coders to create a gadget section just for this program.

The performance of it is really dependent on your video card (there's a reason why Windows Vista itself wants an ATI 9800 Pro or better card). On my work machine, this thing really flies.

I downloaded it and used it...but how to use it properly?

Like i click on the vista.exe and it shows up...but if i want to make it permanent for all my window/explorer thingies?..How?..

Grazie

I downloaded it and used it...but how to use it properly?

Like i click on the vista.exe and it shows up...but if i want to make it permanent for all my window/explorer thingies?..How?..

Grazie

586284843[/snapback]

Currently, I don't think this is possible. I can't seem to even drag and drop a website or URL. Don't worry... when/if Oracle comes, this will all be solved. ;)

Transparency isn't completely impossible, but it has to be pngs in a 3rd party app. Explorer/visual style trans is impossible. :no:

*UPDATE (0.1.42)*

-Created separate IE7/Explorer files

-Updated preview pane

-Added menu bar

-Moved IE7 status text to status bar

I need coders, or experianced DesktopX designers to help me with features. If you think you can help, PM me, or email me at andrew-gw@hotmail.com.

I need:

-Address to appear in address bar/title bar

-Preview pane/menu bar to change colour according to folder type

-Icons to change in title bar/address bar/preview pane

-Status information to appear on preview pane*

*e.g. Selected file size, icon, date picture taken; basic shellstyle info.

Actually... I read something on WindowBlinds a couple days ago. I just meant currently, and WindowBlinds IS a 3rd party app.

[offtopic] That WB theme is nice and all, but the taskbar is disgusting.[/offtopic]

:no: :p