[rel] Sustenance WindowBlinds

Sustenance WindowBlinds Visual Style by KoL

This theme is based on an idea that FOOOD (www.foood.net) posted on gfxOasis.com

Package contains six different colors; Blue, Metallic, Olive, Ergo, Slate and White. Each color has Compact Start Menu.

Download WB: here or here

Download Toolbar: here

Edited by KoL

Looks great. Was using the msstyles version before which was also very good. Any chance you could upload it to WinCustomize also?

Brad

Well, I've noticed a couple of things on it.  Minor issues, but still there.

1)  The Dell wireless app has the text wrapping around.

585243927[/snapback]

that is a bug of windowblinds, not KoL's fault imo. :ninja:

2) Some progress bars don't skin correctly like the one for ActiveSync.

I opened an issue with Stardock support on this and they told me I needed to learn how to create skins and referred me to the forums/newsgroups... I mentioned it before you released this skin, BTW. I noticed it with a few others before and with Sustenance when I converted the MSStyle myself before you started on the WB version.

Right now the bar is black, but sometimes it fills in with dropdown boxes or with the titlebar graphics. It only seems to do this on skins that were recently converted from MSStyles from what I've noticed, so if you converted it and then modified it, that might be why it is still doing that.

post-22637-1105035854.png

that is a bug of windowblinds, not KoL's fault imo.  :ninja:

585243943[/snapback]

Actually the font wrapping like that is due to a text setting for the buttons, as I have a few other skins that don't do that text wrapping. I also have a few others, like LHA, that do.

It's all based on how the apps handle the content and sizing margins along with the text sizes.

Don't get me wrong, I think the theme is awesome and will definitely keep using it for a long time. I'd just like to know what's causing the issues to make it totally bug free.

that is a bug of windowblinds, not KoL's fault imo.  :ninja:

585243943[/snapback]

Which "bug" of WindowBlinds would do that? If the font is too big for the text, it will crap. That's Windows.

My suggestion would be to make the font size slightly smaller.

Which "bug" of WindowBlinds would do that? If the font is too big for the text, it will crap. That's Windows. 

My suggestion would be to make the font size slightly smaller.

585244001[/snapback]

I made a personal adjustment to Tahoma with size "12" and it quit the wrapping in the app. Now if I could only figure out why the progress bars are wrong...

This might be a stupid question but I'll take my chances.

I've used the msstyles ver of this extremly sweet theme (kudos Kol :woot: ) since it was released.

And now that a WB port also has been let loose I get interrested. But what is the difference between the two ports?

Why is WB better than MSstyles or vice versa?

This might be a stupid question but I'll take my chances.

I've used the msstyles ver of this extremly sweet theme (kudos Kol :woot: ) since it was released.

And now that a WB port also has been let loose I get interrested. But what is the difference between the two ports?

Why is WB better than MSstyles or vice versa?

585245303[/snapback]

WB allows more flexible positions on the buttons, you can put them near to each other, on the bottom, or on the left like a Mac.

WB can also skin the logoff/shutdown screens in addition to the regular Windows screens.

And right now WindowBlinds is only taking 490K of RAM on my system, which means my wallpaper is taking more memory than this skin. MSStyles are part of the Themes service that runs under SVCHOST normally. Those themes can take up a couple meg of resources since the theme engine from MS hasn't been optimized at all since XP was released.

WB allows more flexible positions on the buttons, you can put them near to each other, on the bottom, or on the left like a Mac.

WB can also skin the logoff/shutdown screens in addition to the regular Windows screens.

And right now WindowBlinds is only taking 490K of RAM on my system, which means my wallpaper is taking more memory than this skin.  MSStyles are part of the Themes service that runs under SVCHOST normally.  Those themes can take up a couple meg of resources since the theme engine from MS hasn't been optimized at all since XP was released.

585245525[/snapback]

It can also use any size margins, and transparecy in other places msstyles cant, and Yah, thats right, Im sure WindowBlinds uses less memory than svchost with theme service enabled because I use it, but it's not using 490k of RAM in your pc I am sure, task manager wont display all the DLL's or other stuff being used and more stuff, and I know that you meant ram, but it also uses VM which would be some other stuff

2)  Some progress bars don't skin correctly like the one for ActiveSync.

I opened an issue with Stardock support on this and they told me I needed to learn how to create skins and referred me to the forums/newsgroups...  I mentioned it before you released this skin, BTW.  I noticed it with a few others before and with Sustenance when I converted the MSStyle myself before you started on the WB version.

Right now the bar is black, but sometimes it fills in with dropdown boxes or with the titlebar graphics.  It only seems to do this on skins that were recently converted from MSStyles from what I've noticed, so if you converted it and then modified it, that might be why it is still doing that.

585243946[/snapback]

Isaw the problem but I dont remember where. All progress bar are working fine for me now but anyone klnow how to fix that??

I made a personal adjustment to Tahoma with size "12" and it quit the wrapping in the app.  Now if I could only figure out why the progress bars are wrong...

585244211[/snapback]

Thank you, that fixed the problem that was also occuring for me in numerous apps.

small bug with msn messenger 7. When you click on the bar on the top of your buddy list (the one with your icon and name) and bring down the available statuses, the highlighted status gets garbled text.

small bug with msn messenger 7. When you click on the bar on the top of your buddy list (the one with your icon and name) and bring down the available statuses, the highlighted status gets garbled text.

585246441[/snapback]

Thats something that I dont know how to fix it :pinch:

I looked everywhere and I couldnt find it.

That's cool. Kol, seriously, this is amazing work. It is definitely, IMO, one of the best styles ever. Thank you.

585246495[/snapback]

Thanks man :blush:

Great skin Kol and thanks for uploading it to WC. I've put it into the feature queue there.

When I look at your skins (msstyles or WB) I realize how much better Windows XP could have looked by default. There's a certain..elegance in your designs.