Windows explorer - Status bar...

In fact, it seems rather useless now.

In XP, it used to actually give my status of my hd, eg: how much space was used/remaining.

Now, it gives me an item count.

WTF good is that...seems like more change for change sake.

And so, here comes the question...how to fix it..??

In fact, it seems rather useless now.

In XP, it used to actually give my status of my hd, eg: how much space was used/remaining.

Now, it gives me an item count.

WTF good is that...seems like more change for change sake.

And so, here comes the question...how to fix it..??

13425176.png

wat?

pretty useful in my opinion

Yeah, all the information is elsewhere. As far as I know, interface design is all about not showing the same information twice on the same page. It's just a waste of space.

Like this?.....

Why yes...exactly like that.

Mine doesn't show that....all I get is some lame ass item count. :no:

You know he just wanted to show off the fact that he has all that stuff downloaded :)

Just because his drives have those names does not mean that is what is on them.

I'm betting it's all just p0rn.

When Windows Explorer is first opened, it only shows the objects of the C:\ drive. Click on any other folder and the status bar will show the disk free space.

When Windows Explorer is first opened, it only shows the objects of the C:\ drive. Click on any other folder and the status bar will show the disk free space.

Nopes...not for me.... :cry:

Nopes...not for me.... :cry:

I've got 15 XP Pro machines here at work. All work just as I mentioned earlier. Are you using XP Home or Pro? I don't know if Home vs Pro makes any difference. I can't vouch for XP Home since I've never used it. Good luck....

I've got 15 XP Pro machines here at work. All work just as I mentioned earlier. Are you using XP Home or Pro? I don't know if Home vs Pro makes any difference. I can't vouch for XP Home since I've never used it. Good luck....

Since he posted this in windows 7's group, I'd assume he's not talking about XP anymore, but W7.. and in W7 the status bar is replaced by the details pane

what seems to be the issue i mean in windows 7 it shows how much space is left how many gbs out of what ever HDD size your using is left why is so hard to deal with

Like neufuse said....I'm testing out win 7.

Of course it worked properly in XP...that's what I want in 7.

Just basic functionality.

For instance, when dragging files to be burnt, I drag them to an empty folder, a to do folder, if you will, and it is very nice to see just where I stand, without having to take other steps.

Not the end of the world, as there are replacement apps that will provide the functionality I desire.

But it is rather sad, when a new & improved lacks the basic functionality and simplicity of it's predecessor...

One would have expected better.

exactly what functionality do you need that obviously is right in front of you in windows 7 showing you your HDD space used and whats left

I assume that you followed the thread.

Was there a particular part of "in the status bar" that you can't grasp..??

It seems pretty simple to me.

Note that I don't really care what you like. I care about what I like. And I like to see current status in real time right where I'm working...not having to click away...not even "flying my mouse to the corner"...(ok, I got a real kick outta that one).

So basically, if you know of something that could help me..please do share.

But if all you got is fanboi crap.....please keep it to yourself.

Since he posted this in windows 7's group, I'd assume he's not talking about XP anymore, but W7.. and in W7 the status bar is replaced by the details pane

Sorry guys....my screw up.

Yeah man..I think I understand what you want, but the functionality has changed a little. It shows you the items once you click "C" or "D" or whatever..but before that it it just gives drive information and space remaining. Someone pointed it out earlier..redundant info doesn't do justice.

It tells you the number of hard drives..etc.. in Computer and once you click the drive it will show you more information in the "status bar."

Someone pointed it out earlier..redundant info doesn't do justice.

All well and fine. But the only time it would be redundant, would be when you actually had "computer" open in windows explorer.

However, it would not be redundant whatsoever when you were working in "C" drive, or any other drive. So why strip away useful functionality..?? It's just plain nuts. And lets face...there cannot be much of a hit performance wise...that's just nonsense.

No, the performance hit will come when folk have to install a 3rd party app to do what Windows explorer ought to...

It's obvious what Rikkins means!

I too would like to see more info here .. seems to be wasted space when you are 'drilling' down into sub-folders .. all you get is the folder icon and how many files ithere are.

capturewuq.jpg

Yep, it seems like space waster.

Now while we are talking about these things, how can I rename "Sleep" to "Stand By"? Sleep just doesn't make any sense at all