Disable Vista Folder Column Changes

I'm running Vista SP1 and am seeking to ensure that Explorer always displays folders in the XP style details mode. At the moment it changes the columns listed when it detects media and removes the traditional ones with things such as Tags, Rating and Date Taken.

This is incredibly annoying, and I can't find a way to resolve it once and for all. I can manually set the columns in each Folder, but this can hardly be described as a solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated - it seems ridiculous that this can't be disabled in Folder and Search Options, but maybe I'm missing the obvious.

I'm running Vista SP1 and am seeking to ensure that Explorer always displays folders in the XP style details mode. At the moment it changes the columns listed when it detects media and removes the traditional ones with things such as Tags, Rating and Date Taken.

This is incredibly annoying, and I can't find a way to resolve it once and for all. I can manually set the columns in each Folder, but this can hardly be described as a solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated - it seems ridiculous that this can't be disabled in Folder and Search Options, but maybe I'm missing the obvious.

hold down shift and close window... should save as default

p

Many thanks xpgeek, that software is excellent, I simply had to follow what you said and the problem is resolved. It also allowed me to restore a Network Connections link in Control Panel - fantastic!

That has annoyed me bout Vista since day 1, but there is a solution.

I use this little tweaker tool, XdN Tweaker

http://xenomorph.net/?page_id=336

Has this option, and it works, all my folders set to details view n they all stay that way no changing views whenever they feel like it.

xdn_tweaker_0886_filesfolders3.png

thanks that has been driving me nuts from day one...

Unfortunately, you do seem to need 3rd party software to make this stick, but the above has worked well on 3 systems for me so far.

You can also do it this way:

Set a folder type from the properties page of a folder

Go into the folder and customize it to your liking

Open Folder Options from the menu and Click Apply To Folders to set that view as the default view for that folder type.

Repeat the above for each folder type (Documents, Pictures & Video, etc)

This registry entry will stop folder "sniffing" completely

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell] 
"FolderType"="NotSpecified"