Neowin.net News Screen Saver

now this is inovative :)

But it should view all categories, Main news, gamers news and software news.

And it should have a option to view a combination of them :)

i like this kind of thing :cool: but when i exit the screensaver would be nice if ie isn't going to neowin :)

Enter isn't the only way to exit the screensaver, check out the settings.

ty, if you would like i can post in software news ;)

Thanks a lot!!!!

Any idea why mine is speaking in some other language?
Absolutely no clue. Do you have the .NET Framework 1.1? I can't think of any other reason. :p
and i have hosted the file for you

Again, thanks a lot! That should avoid some load on my Comcast web page. :p

now this is inovative

But it should view all categories, Main news, gamers news and software news.

And it should have a option to view a combination of them

1. Thanks!

2. I might add Gamer news, with a enable/disable option. I didn't add gamer news because I thought forum, software, and main news were of higher priority. :p

3. That is a little more complicated. The switching effect sort of makes it a screensaver.

Is it possible to have the Neowin logo at the top move around, if it stays in the same place it kind of defeats the purpose of a screen saver?

I might do this, however the Neowin logo has a perfect little notch in the corner. It already has a changing effect with the forum, software, and main news.

Great idea. Thanks. Can you also have it display gamers news too?
I might, see above.:DD
The "Settings screen" is REALLY slow to render, and it doesn't detect my proxy.

1. I have no way to test it with a proxy. Also, should you really be using it at work?

2. I don't know how to use it with a proxy, it just uses System.Net.WebClient. Hmm.

Neat? Using it now.
Cool! I like that people are using my app:D:D
i like this kind of thing  but when i exit the screensaver would be nice if ie isn't going to neowin 

Yes, as creamhackered said it isn't the only way to exit it. Mouse movement as well as pressing any key (except Enter) will simply exit the screensaver. Pressing Enter will exit and go to Neowin.net. The Enter-to-Neowin feature can be enabled/disabled in Settings. Also, moving the mouse within 10 seconds of starting the screensaver by default will not do anything. You can adjust that delay under Mouse delay in Settings:D:D

I have an updated installer, it is slightly larger because it now includes the Lucida Grande font used by the header and has an option to start Display Properties at the end.

It is available here.

@Voodoo: Could you please update the file on the Neowin server to this? Thanks a lot. :D :D :D

2. I might add Gamer news, with a enable/disable option. I didn't add gamer news because I thought forum, software, and main news were of higher priority.

Speak for yourself!!!! :woot:

I have an updated installer, it is slightly larger because it now includes the Lucida Grande font used by the header and has an option to start Display Properties at the end.

It is available here.

@Voodoo: Could you please update the file on the Neowin server to this? Thanks a lot. :D :D :D

done & updated news post to 1.1

I have set it to exit the screensaver if I move the mouse 1px, but it seems like it takes a lot more. I actually have to move the mouse like a mad man to make it exit. Hope it will get fixed!

I have set it to exit the screensaver if I move the mouse 1px, but it seems like it takes a lot more. I actually have to move the mouse like a mad man to make it exit. Hope it will get fixed!

It takes a moment to exit. You are most likely moving it until it finishes exiting. Try just moving it a pixel then waiting up to 2 seconds.

Version 2.0 is out!

What's new:

• Configuration screen supports Windows XP themes
  • Main news, software news, gamer news, and new forum posts can now be enabled and disabled
  • Support for gamer news added (see above), not enabled by default
  • The title text in the screensaver is changed for each section
  • The user can now choose to go to the page associated with the active section when [Enter] is pressed, ex. the software section is active, the user presses [Enter], and Neowin opens to software news
  • About box added (with scrolling credits!)

@Voodoo: Could you add/update software news with this new version, as well as update the Neowin file to this? Thanks a lot, for this and all the support. BTW: look at the about box under Special Thanks.

Now you need to add an option to adjust how long it takes before it cycles between pages or refreshing...

Can you also add an option to show a brief discription of each news? Dunno if possible or not though.

AWSOME Program! Loving it so far... :D

Another thing...

Can you make it so you can cycle through different site's news and forums listings also? Have it like have a different theme for each site info that it shows.