Photoshop CS3 on Server 2003

If you need to install the new Photoshop on your server (not that you should do such things, mind you), here's how. In the photoshop setup files folder, look for this:

Adobe CS3\Photoshop\Adobe CS3\payloads\AdobePhotoshop10en_US_volume\AdobePhotoshop10en_US_volume.proxy.xml

(My guess is you have to substitute US for whatever language version you have.)

Open the file in a text editor (I used notepad2) and search for the string "Server2003" - you'll find the following:

"Server2003":{"Exclude":true}

Change it to (duh)

"Server2003":{"Require":true}

and rerun the setup.

Theoretically, wouldn't it be better to change exclude:true to exclude:false? :huh: If I follow your directions, now I've got an installation source that requires Server 2003, which I can't use on say, XP or Vista... Great job!

But all of this is a moot point because 1. a server has no need for Photoshop, and 2. all of you leet people running the SuperCharged 2003 OS are already out of date. Vista is here, you are no longer leet.

:rolleyes:

Theoretically, wouldn't it be better to change exclude:true to exclude:false? :huh: If I follow your directions, now I've got an installation source that requires Server 2003, which I can't use on say, XP or Vista... Great job!

But all of this is a moot point because 1. a server has no need for Photoshop, and 2. all of you leet people running the SuperCharged 2003 OS are already out of date. Vista is here, you are no longer leet.

I knew someone would start whining... why do people complain when a how-to is posted?

You paid all that money for CS 3 and are installing your license on an unsupported operating system by hacking the installer? ;)

Well, it makes you wonder why Adobe included Windows Server 2003 updates in their redist folder, doesn't it?

In any case, I don't plan to argue about what to install/not install on Win Server. If you needed to install Photoshop CS3 on it, you know how now. If you didn't, you shouldn't be reading this in the first place.

I knew someone would start whining... why do people complain when a how-to is posted?

Well, it makes you wonder why Adobe included Windows Server 2003 updates in their redist folder, doesn't it?

In any case, I don't plan to argue about what to install/not install on Win Server. If you needed to install Photoshop CS3 on it, you know how now. If you didn't, you shouldn't be reading this in the first place.

Thx for the hint, but I have a question. Is it running OK for you? Because for me it crashes after few seconds I open or create a new image :( and I can't find anything about that error anywhere on the net.

pscs3error.png

Edited by p370

You paid all that money for CS 3 and are installing your license on an unsupported operating system by hacking the installer? ;)

It's transferable. Besides, the BETA worked wonderfully on 2K3. The installer for BETA CS3 had the server tags in that xml file. Not a whole lot changed from the last BETA to the final.

• 6 months later...

Normally I don't bother posting to message boards of this nature (it is called "neowin" afterall), especially to threads this old, but something about your post really annoyed me. Understand that in order to use Citrix or Terminal Services, you HAVE to install on Windows 2003. I have 200 users that can't get CS3 unless I install it on 2003. It's not just people using 2003 as their OS on their home computer. Lean to inquire first.

Probably because it is a warez-on-warez tutorial. Come on, no teenage boy is going to have enough money to afford Server 2003 and Adobe CS3.

Normally I don't bother posting to message boards of this nature (it is called "neowin" afterall), especially to threads this old, but something about your post really annoyed me. Understand that in order to use Citrix or Terminal Services, you HAVE to install on Windows 2003. I have 200 users that can't get CS3 unless I install it on 2003. It's not just people using 2003 as their OS on their home computer. Lean to inquire first.

Running a graphics editing package over Citrix is just ridiculous in the first place. Which is probably why it isn't supported by Adobe.

If you need to install the new Photoshop on your server (not that you should do such things, mind you), here's how. In the photoshop setup files folder, look for this:

Adobe CS3\Photoshop\Adobe CS3\payloads\AdobePhotoshop10en_US_volume\AdobePhotoshop10en_US_volume.proxy.xml

(My guess is you have to substitute US for whatever language version you have.)

Open the file in a text editor (I used notepad2) and search for the string "Server2003" - you'll find the following:

"Server2003":{"Exclude":true}

Change it to (duh)

"Server2003":{"Require":true}

and rerun the setup.

Yeah nice copy, edit, paste from the Adobe support site. Now would someone know how to edit the installer to allow it to be installed on my Server 2003 x64? I have tried a million things and still no go.

Probably because it is a warez-on-warez tutorial. Come on, no teenage boy is going to have enough money to afford Server 2003 and Adobe CS3.

Running a graphics editing package over Citrix is just ridiculous in the first place. Which is probably why it isn't supported by Adobe.

We used to run it from Citrix both over the LAN and over the Internet via Web browser just fine. As long as the server is powerful enough, it doesn't matter what the app is for the end user. It's all just video at that point. Phtotoshop might as well be Microsoft Word to the end user.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I registered with this forum just to say this:

I hate to burst your bubble, but running Vista and being "leet" are mutually exclusive states.