Anyone upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 yet?

Honestly, I didn't even know 8.10 was out lol. I had 8.04 installed in a multi-boot setup on my laptop, but just recently deleted that partition because I never used it. I may check it out though just to see what it's about.

I might have a look in a couple of months. Historically, Ubuntu usually has one or two problems still in need of resolving at its release. The only thing I've read about that really caught my eye was tabs in Nautilus, and a new theme that nobody can seem to agree on one way or the other.

To be honest, I'm more than happy with 8.04, and I don't feel the urge to upgrade. There's always backports anyway...

using a laptop, scared to right now, heard its destroying (physically) LAN, on some intel chipset, which i don't wanna risk, so...
The driver that caused these problems has been disabled in the Beta and will be fixed before the release.

Thanks, iv been so busy i totally forgot it was coming out! :)

Will probably install it tomorrow, just need to decide which to do, an upgrade or fresh install!

Edit:

Wait are you sure its out, just checked the Ubuntu site and it says coming soon! :unsure:

Yeah the site says release is 30th of Oct, so im guessing the OP is talking about the beta!

Ill be waiting a few weeks for the final release then :(

Edited by xirtamdbml

using a laptop, scared to right now, heard its destroying (physically) LAN, on some intel chipset, which i don't wanna risk, so...

what do you mean destroying LAN ? i have an amd based laptop but i won't upgrade if this is the case.

what do you mean destroying LAN ? i have an amd based laptop but i won't upgrade if this is the case.
There is a hardware problems with some Intel LAN chipsets that allowed the software to break them but the offending drivers have been disabled. The problem has actually not been worked around and will be included in the next Linux Kernel released on October 5th and subsequently, in the final version of Ubuntu 8.10.
Ubuntu is at 8.10 now?
The final hasn't been released yet, but yes.

Some info here: http://blogs.computerworld.com/when_linux_...ernet_bug_fixed

Basically, the hardware allows its firmware to be overwritten. The problem has been worked around in code, and will make the next kernel release. Linus Torvalds chastised Intel on the LKML, so hopefully Intel will fix the problem in the future. In the mean time, the patch will look for this specific chipset and take care to jump around it. And Intel has committed to helping any user that bricks their LAN this way and supply them a replacement firmware loader.

well i have a nvidia based lan chipset in my laptop so i guess im safe. 8.10 looks to be interesting and seems to support more wireless from what i hear. i wish they could get syncing to work correctly though. i will install 8.10 in december, that way they have time to work the bugs and such out.

what other new features will 8.10 have in store for us ?

Ubuntu is at 8.10 now?

Its actually at 9.04 :p

Basically, the hardware allows its firmware to be overwritten. The problem has been worked around in code, and will make the next kernel release. Linus Torvalds chastised Intel on the LKML, so hopefully Intel will fix the problem in the future. In the mean time, the patch will look for this specific chipset and take care to jump around it. And Intel has committed to helping any user that bricks their LAN this way and supply them a replacement firmware loader.

WOW....Thats scary. AFAIK, Windows has never had something like that happen; Or maybe it has and you will bring it up to my knowledge.

WOW....Thats scary. AFAIK, Windows has never had something like that happen; Or maybe it has and you will bring it up to my knowledge.

I don't know of any cases like this in Windows... But Windows has much of their testing and hardware certification in private. When a vendor has hardware that they want certified for Windows, they work with Microsoft on this, and any issues are dealt with.

This public Linux development is less structured in that there is no "Linux Hardware Certification" process. It is testing and some reverse-engineering and some cooperation with vendors (Intel is good at cooperating).

I've just done a fresh install of it. I'm having problems getting the nvidia drivers working to get my dual monitors working.

Honestly, I didn't even know 8.10 was out lol. I had 8.04 installed in a multi-boot setup on my laptop, but just recently deleted that partition because I never used it. I may check it out though just to see what it's about.

I knew it was out but honestly I am in the same boat. I have 8.04 installed on my dual boot laptop, and never used it. It was cool for all of 3 days, then I got bored with it so boot to Windows all the time.

The only time I use my laptop is for work stuff, and then my work stuff either REQUIRES me to use IE or Office, and I just don't find myself wanting to use a program like openoffice or anything.

My home pc I definately wouldn't use linux considering 99% of my time on it is used for Gaming.

Normally I upgrade during the beta but this time I just don't feel like it. I'm not sure I'll even upgrade when it's final. There's nothing of much interest to me and every upgrade seems to slow my computer down more.

To early to use in a production machine. Just run the LiveCD...

The only time I use my laptop is for work stuff, and then my work stuff either REQUIRES me to use IE or Office, and I just don't find myself wanting to use a program like openoffice or anything.

What exactly stops you from using IE or Office under Linux? (Why do you need IE, in the first place?)

Kudos to Intel on that one (Y), I'm not sure many other companies would even bother doing that (it's still bad that it happens but at least Intel are been good sports about it).

So what is new with 8.10? I used 8.04 for a while and was quite pleased with it, but deleted it cause I didn't use it. I might try it out using Wubi once it hits final but I'd like to find out what has changed/removed/added?