Windows Experience Index - Let's Compare

I find it interesting that a gig of memory (dual channel) only gets a 4.0 but 5.0gb left on my c:\ partition gets me a 5.0. I'd like to compare my WEI to everyone's on neowin, as MS has tweaked it up a bit and I want to see how it compares across different systems.

If you don't know how to get to the detailed view of the Windows Experience Index:

> Start

> Control Panel

> System and Maintenance

> Performance Information and Tools

> View and Print Details

Post a screenshot of what you see.

post-51806-1153331206_thumb.jpg

Alright, let's see...

post-152825-1153338721_thumb.jpg

I don't see "View and print details" on it. :pinch: What build are you guys using? I'm using 5384.

Oh God, don't turn this into the mad onion forums.

It's not meant to be a tool for tools to screenshot, it's a simple diagnostic meant to tell you where you can improve your performance and it's as exciting as a screenshot of the defrag program at work.

edit - OOH! Plus there's the apples vs oranges issue now too. All builds are not created equal. Especially when this rating tool is being tweaked from build to build to please the hardware vendors. Where's the rating for audio card performance? Cause my Audigy2 ZS will get a -1000 (Not angry/bitter. No.)

Edited by Imaginos

Oh God, don't turn this into the mad onion forums.

It's not meant to be a tool for tools to screenshot, it's a simple diagnostic meant to tell you where you can improve your performance and it's as exciting as a screenshot of the defrag program at work.

edit - OOH! Plus there's the apples vs oranges issue now too. All builds are not created equal. Especially when this rating tool is being tweaked from build to build to please the hardware vendors. Where's the rating for audio card performance? Cause my Audigy2 ZS will get a -1000 (Not angry/bitter. No.)

The point is not to gloat about your system with a screenshot, but to see whether microsoft have finally hit the nail on the head with wei. Compare whether a 3800+ is really getting higher than a 3400+ and how an intel cpu compares to the lot. It is easier to find bugs for this tool, when comparing. I'm sorry you disagree.

Let's stick to build 5472 because it is the latest. Sound quality won't degrade the performance of your computer, it's not a bottleneck.

Edited by slimy

I think I understand your intent, but with the screenshots, it can quickly become an e-penis waving contest as demonstrated by the emphasis a few posts up.

What I think you will find is that each component has a rating associated with it. A given video card will always have a certain value unless the formulas are changed, ditto for processors, and increments of RAM, etc.

When it comes to the end reasons for tuning/adjusting this output number, I can't guess what they want to accomplish. I have a laptop (celeron 650 w/384MB ram) that scores a lowly "1" and I'm absolutely pleased with the performance I have on it. I have audio, DVD video playback, the OS is completely servicable.

This desktop, the lowest rated item I have is the 3.3Gig P4 HT processor. Interestingly, it receives a 3.3 rating yet to me it performs just as well as my laptop.

I can see why hardware vendors were vocal about this thing. "How dare an OS rate our product lower than the competition!" I smell litigation!

edit - and the sound comment was just my love of creative poking through.. sry. wouldn't want them to feel left out..

What I think you will find is that each component has a rating associated with it. A given video card will always have a certain value unless the formulas are changed, ditto for processors, and increments of RAM, etc.
Not true--Vista gives the ratings based on speed, performance, etc. Take a look at my screenshot:

post-152825-1153424519_thumb.jpg

and compare it with my previous one:

post-152825-1153338721_thumb.jpg

What I did was clicked 'Refresh my rating now.' Then Vista started testing my hardware. Sorry Aero's disabled... It wasn't when I tested it.

Edited by Timothy003

I am getting a error message when I click on "View and print details".

Why is that half German and half English? Its like saying: Ich gehe zu the movies...

I'm curious :blush:

Here's my score:

performancewt0.th.jpg

It's pretty low atm, but only because the laptop has 512MB DDR RAM. I'm expecting an additional 512MB to arrive here this week, so I hope the score will improve so I can post a better score in this thread.