Massive bug in iTunes for Windows

Question

Ok this is the situation. I have 1 pc functioning as software router to share internet with several pc's in the house (my brothers laptop (winxp), my own laptop (winxp) and my dad's pc (win2000)).

This internet server is also my main workstation (windows xp). So far so good, everything works fine, no problems at all.

Though now I start iTunes for Windows on my internet server/workstation and suddenly all other pc's can't access anything on the internet anymore.

I close iTunes again and everything works like it should again.

This happens everytime I start iTunes (doesn't matter if I share my playlist over the network with iTunes... wether I enable this feature or disable it, it still screws up my internet sharing), it just screws up.

Anyone has a solution for this?

Can anyone with a similar network setup test this to see if it occurs there too?

Edited by Schmoove

I think he means most mainstreain users dont share there internet connection with ICS. While this is true most mainstream users dont use iTunes :p

It is a pretty nasty bug and needs fixing ASAP

mwahahaha itune's a buggy ****l****

Well, compare iTunes to Windows. Windows has a security patch almost every week. I rarely have to patch up OS X or iTunes unless it's an improvement to the software.

Sorry iTunes is giving you this problem though. But yea, like people are saying, most mainstream users have routers, or only one computer. Works fine over my network with my Netgear router.

mwahahaha itune's a buggy ****l****

Wow, your really mature. I'm assuming you don't like Linux and anything that stands in the way of MS, right? :rolleyes:

Not like I care about these problems anyways, iTunes sure works perfect on my iMac. :)

Well, compare iTunes to Windows. Windows has a security patch almost every week. I rarely have to patch up OS X or iTunes unless it's an improvement to the software.

Compare number of OSX users to number of Windows users, there are many more people to find find these things on Windows.

This is just a guess, but have you tried togging the file sharing option in the preferences? I'm not sure if it'll do anything, but it's worth a shot.

Compare number of OSX users to number of Windows users, there are many more people to find find these things on Windows.

That is what I was just about to say :) OS X might have just as many bugs as Windows if not more but they are not found by the public so they are not publically known. Apple find them and fix them before anybody knows about it.

Simple solution really. Find a cheap router, even go used if you can't spend too much.

Problem solved :p

It's either that or submit feedback to Apple and mention this bug, and hope that they actaully fix problems with iTunes Windows instead of ignoring them like they do with Quicktime.

MOST mainstream users dont do this.

OMG how ignorant are you......

Here in the Netherlands MOST students choose this way to share one connection with other students in the building. One of the biggest cable ISP's here can detect if you share your internet via a hardware router.... they immediatly cut off your internet when they find out.

It is another story with software routers, for some reason they can't detect that. So that is how we solve that problem here.

Even if nobody uses ICS (btw, I am using Kerio WinRoute Pro for it and not the built-in ICS feature in XP), it should still be fixed. This is a very annoying bug that frustrates me and other people.

Saying "oh it is a bug, but MOST user won't even notice it" can't be a reason for not fixing it.

This is the biggest bug in iTunes I was able to find... in fact it made me uninstall the whole thing, since it is of no use for me if it disables internet on my other pc's.

By the way, I did a fresh install of Windows XP on my internet server and my laptop.... the bug is still there. It is definitly an iTunes bug.

I also tried disabling some services (ituneshelper), enabling/disabling filesharing, static IP's, DHCP.... etc. etc. I couldn't fix it.

EDIT: I reported it to Apple... hope they will fix it.

Edited by Schmoove

i think it has something to do with apple's p2p technology called rendevious or something like that. I am sure a mac user knows the exact name, but basicly it lets you share your music stream, kinda like shoutcast. Perhaps that is on the same port that the Windows Proxy program is using

i think it has something to do with apple's p2p technology called rendevious or something like that. I am sure a mac user knows the exact name, but basicly it lets you share your music stream, kinda like shoutcast. Perhaps that is on the same port that the Windows Proxy program is using

Rendezvous. And its technology for network users to communicate with each other.

Ive used windows ics on my own network for some time and i dont think its really all that good to begin with

anyways i solved all my problems i have ever had when i got a hardware based router but since that isnt an option have you tried any other 3rd party internet connection sharing-proxy server software?

i dont have experience with any really so i wouldnt know what to recommend unfortunately...

Well, compare iTunes to Windows.

:no: omg, c'mon. Windows is an OS! It has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more lines of code than itunes does. lets get realistic here.

Here's an idea ... make Apple aware of your issue so they can fix it.

Its been on the PC for so long now who would ever imagine they have some bugs.