Easy Question...

So I have a copy of shell32.dll that I want to put in place of my current one. But I can't just copy the file over becuase of file permissions...

so how do I replace it?

• 4 weeks later...

It is very easy to replace the shell32.dll with your own. You need to create a startup floppye disk. In order to do that you need to insert a blank floppy in your drive, right click on the drive and format. In the next window you just have to select to create a srtartup disk. Reboot with the startup disk in its drive and it will open MSDOS. there you can replace since it has no protection with simple commands.

First, go to the folder where shell32.dll is located.Ex.

c:/windows/system32/

and put the following command: rename shell32.dll shell32.bak

2nd, in the same folder put the following command: copy c:/my folder/shell32.dll (in the destination you should put the destination where the replacement is located).

3rd, Reboot and thats it. More inf, gavo_medina@yahoo.com.mx

It is very easy to replace the shell32.dll with your own. You need to create a startup floppye disk. In order to do that you need to insert a blank floppy in your drive, right click on the drive and format. In the next window you just have to select to create a srtartup disk. Reboot with the startup disk in its drive and it will open MSDOS. there you can replace since it has no protection with simple commands.

First, go to the folder where shell32.dll is located.Ex.

c:/windows/system32/

and put the following command: rename shell32.dll shell32.bak

2nd, in the same folder put the following command: copy c:/my folder/shell32.dll (in the destination you should put the destination where the replacement is located).

3rd, Reboot and thats it. More inf, gavo_medina@yahoo.com.mx

no need for all that sh*t.

your method will work, but its far too much like hard work for my liking...

all i used to do was delete everything in WINDOWS/system32/dllcache, and then delete the shell32.dll from servicepackfiles/i386, then simply overwrite the original file. worked every time. just be sure to answer the security dialogues that come up properly.

thats the simple way? screw that guass_medina :p that sounds harder then this. turst me crzycool the program relativity_17 gave you is all you need. just run that program, locate your shell 32 (windows/system32) and drag it into the program. then it will ask you where the replacement file is. simply drag the replacement it. the program will check to make sure u do want to replace it. then it will creat a backup of the original file and replace. you can go back to ur original file simply by dragging the .dll file into the program at a later time and it will give u the option to replace the file a second time or to restore your back-up

cheers

Fizical

Hey, I was wondering, is there a way to replace the shell32.dll on a Windows XP install CD? That way I could use the icons by default.

Replacer never worked for me, so I have to do it manually:

1. Boot up into Safe Mode

2. Rename shell32.dll to shell32original.dll or something like that

3. Copy new shell32.dll into WINDOWS directory

4. Repeat steps 2-3 for the DLLCACHE directory

5. Restart, and hope you didn't screw up. :)