Network Cable Disconnected

On my computer now, as soon as I boot up it tells me that my network cable is disconnected. It used to be that it would happen after about an hour... I ran a virus scan in norton 2004 and it came up with nothging, then I ran a virus scan with house call and it cleaned a file so i ran it again and it came up clean... but now i can't even get on the internet for an hour! whats going on? I am just minding my business and it tells me the cable is disconnected. I have tried two cables and I hope (pray) its not by ethernet adapter... any ideas?

sorry to say it, but i'm pretty sure it's your network card going out... that started happening with my parents computer. it'd happen every few days though. I replaced it, and problems were solved.

I never ever had this problem in the past and I tried two different cables... it has happened about 5 times in the past two days and I phoned the dsl company and they said that there connections were fine.

If your OS is reporting that the cable is disconnected, you have a bad connection between your network card and the DSL modem.

It is not important if your modem does not see your ISP, this will not affect the "network unplugged" problem.

Try to change your network card for known good one.

I have even seen this problem with an ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard right out of the box.

It may even be the network card has worked itself partially loose fron the slot.

Without knowing more particulars this is about as good a test as you can do.

the network card is onboard... dammit, now i have to take it to get fixed for the 7th time... (this computer has been a nightmare for problems)

If your OS is reporting that the cable is disconnected, you have a bad connection between your network card and the DSL modem.

It is not important if your modem does not see your ISP, this will not affect the "network unplugged" problem.

Yes it does. Anytime my connection has dropped and my modem had to reset itself, I received a very brief "network cable unplugged" balloon tip.

ok, so I am going to try an install most everything for myt computer from windows update without actually going on teh internet (downloading everything to this computer, then burning it) what am I going to need... I have windows XP Pro with SP1 (thats the windows disk i have) what am I going to need to prevent such things as the blaster worm and the welch worm and all that crap, please help!

have a look at the back of your system if there is a seal with warranty void if removed dont touch but if there is no seal undo and play with it as much as you want but if you put a network card in and your system goes wrong at any time and you have to take it back to the shop take your card out and delet any drivers in device manager to do with that card :o

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want to expand on this any more? in response to delboy, it DOES have a seal on it. The problem had dissappeared for a while, but its back now. I updated windows completely without connecting to the net, so no virus could not have gotten in. i have not downloaded any questionable files... I have Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus 2003... Updated drivers... what is the problem here?