Windows Update V5 beta for everyone

I've just noticed that now it is possible for everyone to testdrive the new V5 Windows Update site.

When you direct your Internet Explorer to http://test.v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com all you have to do is is click "I have read the preceding information and confirm that I am currently a registered Microsoft Windows Update Beta user" and you can use the new Windows Update.

post-8-1080600829.png

As I mentioned in the other thread about this same thing a week or two ago, you do realise that there is no way to go back to v4, and that no REAL updates are included in v5, they are all just test updates, which should not be installed on systems which are used on a daily basis (ie home PCs etc)

... If you are happy with that, go ahead and use v5, but don't complain when you can't go back to v4, or you cant get 'proper' updates yet.

As I mentioned in the other thread about this same thing a week or two ago, you do realise that there is no way to go back to v4, and that no REAL updates are included in v5, they are all just test updates, which should not be installed on systems which are used on a daily basis (ie home PCs etc)

... If you are happy with that, go ahead and use v5, but don't complain when you can't go back to v4, or you cant get 'proper' updates yet.

What are you talking about it worked both ways for me...

v5 will show the same updates as the v4 site, plus the dummy test updates.

clean installed w2k sp4 the other day, went to the new site, it installed the v5 activex control, thne bugged me to install all the updates, made available since sp4 was released, a very long list to be sure, lol.

QUESTION! A friend of mine copy and instal the XP version that i got! Now it's updated his XP with the v.5 Windows Update engine but it's scared that the MS ppl will come to his dor and "kick his ass" because him got no XP licence! I told to him that they will not come :) it's realy freaked ou! So to see in post here! IT'S OK IF HIM UPDATET HIS XP and no one will come to his dor?! (it's drive me crazy pls help! :x )

i went to the site and downloaded the new windows update beta. if i want to go back to the old version how can i uninstall this one?

QUESTION! A friend of mine copy and instal the XP version that i got! Now it's updated his XP with the v.5 Windows Update engine but it's scared that the MS ppl will come to his dor and "kick his ass" because him got no XP licence! I told to him that they will not come :) it's realy freaked ou! So to see in post here! IT'S OK IF HIM UPDATET HIS XP and no one will come to his dor?! (it's drive me crazy pls help! :x )

No answer to this?! :huh:

i went to the site and downloaded the new windows update beta. if i want to go back to the old version how can i uninstall this one?

All I did was go to the old windowsupdate site, worked like a charm.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

@Max2Go : it looks like your 'friend' is using a pirated copy of windows xp if he's scared, you aren't going to find help with piracy here.

You can go back to v4 just by going to the old URI (like devilman said). There is no way provided by Microsoft to make v4 the default again (well, there probably is a way, and I'm going to figure it out! :p).

Microsoft doesn't know your home address, and there is no such "phone home" feature for pirated copies of Windows XP. However, some updates may fail to install if he is using one of a few widely circulated keys. Even though Windows Update won't phone home, you should tell your friend to buy the real product, because piracy is wrong.

ROFL. Suuuuure. Tell your "friend" to calm down. You'll... er... they'll be fine. No men in black knocking on your... their... door.

if he's so scared, tell him to calm down, and go out and buy it.

before the men in black find him, and beat him to a pulp. :D