ClearType Sure Is Pretty

ClearType sure is pretty, but it's probably the biggest resource hog XP has going for it. Running with ClearType shouldn't make much difference for those of you with turbo-charged computers, but for those of us who putz around on these old jobbers, it does make a huge difference whether ClearType is enabled or not.

Try this. Take the test at PC Pitstop with ClearType enabled. Then clear your cache, disable ClearType, and take the test again...you'll see what I'm talking about in your test results

http://pcpitstop.com/

ClearType sure is pretty, but it's probably the biggest resource hog XP has going for it. Running with ClearType shouldn't make much difference for those of you with turbo-charged computers, but for those of us who putz around on these old jobbers, it does make a huge difference whether ClearType is enabled or not.

Try this. Take the test at PC Pitstop with ClearType enabled. Then clear your cache, disable ClearType, and take the test again...you'll see what I'm talking about in your test results

I just turned off ClearType and used Standard Anti-Aliasing (or whatever) and boy did the text on the internet look ugly. I guess I'll continue to pay the price...

I just turned off ClearType and used Standard Anti-Aliasing (or whatever) and boy did the text on the internet look ugly.  I guess I'll continue to pay the price...

Yes, there is a price. Just thought I'd point it out for people who'd rather spend their money on something else.

ClearType rules. Better get used to it, because in Longhorn you won't be able to disable it.

I'm sure somebody will find a reg-hack and then it'll show up in TweakUI-2006

ClearType rules. Better get used to it, because in Longhorn you won't be able to disable it.

COMPLETELY untrue. God I hate when people just pull things out of their proverbial behinds.

Longhorn will likely support updated anti-aliasing/cleartype schemes that make use of Avalon and high-dpi displays.

But I find it highly unlikely, nay impossible, that they'd release Longhorn without support for CRT monitors (ClearType only actually works on LCDs, despite the number of people that use it on CRTs anyway).

COMPLETELY untrue.  God I hate when people just pull things out of their proverbial behinds.

Longhorn will likely support updated anti-aliasing/cleartype schemes that make use of Avalon and high-dpi displays.

But I find it highly unlikely, nay impossible, that they'd release Longhorn without support for CRT monitors (ClearType only actually works on LCDs, despite the number of people that use it on CRTs anyway).

Huh? Talk about pulling things out of the behinds...

ClearType works perfectly well on CRTs. It makes a big difference here.

Have you actually tried it? Perhaps you should before you make these types of proclamations.

Edited by fred666

Man how old is your computer? I have an old p3 733 pc with onboard graphics and I don't notice a darn thing performance wise with it on or off.

Man how old is your computer? I have an old p3 733 pc with onboard graphics and I don't notice a darn thing performance wise with it on or off.

I can't really say how old it is. Noah just handed it to me as we unboarded the ark, and said, "Enjoy, kid."

I have an LCD and really can't stand cleartype... even looking at those pics above i prefer the bottom one as cleartype to me looks REALLY blurry and hard on the eyes :/

I have an LCD and really can't stand cleartype... even looking at those pics above i prefer the bottom one as cleartype to me looks REALLY blurry and hard on the eyes :/

So I'm not the only one then. lol

I got an LCD a couple of weeks ago and found that the text looks better when ClearType is used but not to the degree that it sets it to by default. I use a program called ClearTweak to set it to the level that I want.

I got an LCD a couple of weeks ago and found that the text looks better when ClearType is used but not to the degree that it sets it to by default. I use a program called ClearTweak to set it to the level that I want.

Or use the website I posted about right above your comment. I just noticed that you need to use Internet Explorer as it doesn't work with FireFox.

@the people who don't like cleartype:

Lol you people should run Linux instead..... enough ugly fonts in there to suit your needs ;)

I'm running Fedora Core 1 and Windows XP. There is such a big difference. In Windows all fonts look pretty and in Fedora almost any internet site looks like sh*t due to the crap fonts.

I guess I'm weird, but I don't care much for cleartype. I find the text is sharper and easier to read with it off.

Try it for a week and see if you like it. I didn't like it either when I first saw it, but someone told me to keep it on and after a few days I'd start to like it. It turns out I can't stand it if ClearType is off.

So linux looks crap because of the crap fonts, not because it does not have cleartype.

If you like it, you like it.

If you don't, You don't.

I hate it myself, but who am I judge other peoples eyesight