Dell 2001FP

First impressions are pretty damn good. I hit a stumbling block straight out of the box though, damn US plug! I had to jet into town and grab a converter, they'd shut the shop and I had to beg to be let in! Anyway, I got it all powered up without being blown up. Very, very, very first impressions are it's not as bright as the Samsung by default. Then after having a little play in the OSD it's set by default to be 50% bright :| stuck that up to 75% and it's nice, whites are white and blacks are still deep, deep blacks. There's far less ghosting then my Samsung, that being a 25ms monitor and this being a 16ms monitor; when pushed to the very extreme you can still see traces of it but that's me violently throwing my MX700 around :D

Build quality is very good, the VESA style way the screen fits onto the stand is cool, I haven't tried rotating it yet though. Although I barely used that feature on my Samsung so I guess I won't now either. The one thing I'm most pleased about is that there's not a single dead or stuck pixel :| it's 100% perfect (touch wood). 1.92million pixels and they're all operating perfectly, damn impressive!!

Here's some piccies...

Damn plug!!!!

Dell4.jpg

Weeeeee

Dell1.jpg

Newness!

Dell3.jpg

Face shot:

Dell5.jpg

Puuuuuurty :wub:

Dell2.jpg

A bit more info from my last forum post about this, there was a Color Profile from Dell included on their CD so I applied that and made it default and it does look better. The disadvantage being that it won't match the sRGB being used in Photoshop. I haven't noticed any difference in the color profiles yet but I'm sure I will. I also tried my hand at gaming, gave Call of Duty and Colin Mcrae Rally 4 a little run out, the difference between this and my Samsung 181t (25ms) was profound. There was no noticable ghosting at all on CMR4, comparable to a CRT I'd reckon :D Call of Duty there was a bit when throwing the mouse around, although it's hard to tell if it's the monitor or not because it was moving so fast. I also for the sake of it stuck on a few DVD's, I actually tried using the S-Video input as well which is included on the monitor so that was a cool little thing to play with; worked flawlessly :happy:

Cost me ?590 from eBay, the seller was in America (wake_me, I incurred no customs fees whatsoever and I tracked it all the way with DHL (International Priority)). I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone else, ?260 ($460) saving over the Dell UK RRP so it's a bargain as wel:D:D

This is an excellent monitor. I have 2 of them... :D The response time is great. I've used the S-Video in for my satellite TV and ran picture-in-picture... small TV window in the corner.

Congrats.

I have the same monitor! So far its been great but it really shines when you use it with a DVI interface!

Right. Tis a fine monitor. Now you just need two more!! :D

that's an amazing monitor i have the 19" version and so far it's good.

i just need the DVI adaptor, i'll try to steal my friend's he doesn't use it.

Any ghosting?

Reading the review usually helps answer those questions. :rolleyes:

I haven't noticed any difference in the color profiles yet but I'm sure I will. I also tried my hand at gaming, gave Call of Duty and Colin Mcrae Rally 4 a little run out, the difference between this and my Samsung 181t (25ms) was profound. There was no noticable ghosting at all on CMR4, comparable to a CRT I'd reckon Call of Duty there was a bit when throwing the mouse around, although it's hard to tell if it's the monitor or not because it was moving so fast.

I'm going to purchase the Dell Ultra Sharp 19in. Reading your review has helped cement my decision. (I'm assuming they're relatively the same, minus the s-video part i believe). Has anyone purchased through the Dell Outlet before? Seems I could save a chunk there, but is it worth it?

Damn thats a nice monitor. I should take advantage of my 20% discount at Dell before I get my ass fired from my job.

I'm going to purchase the Dell Ultra Sharp 19in.  Reading your review has helped cement my decision.  (I'm assuming they're relatively the same, minus the s-video part i believe).  Has anyone purchased through the Dell Outlet before?  Seems I could save a chunk there, but is it worth it?

not true..... the 1901fp is much different than the 2001fp

25ms response time and max resolution of 1280x1024 for starters

:D

EDIT: by the way, i own the 2001fp as well, and it is an excellent monitor. i would highly recommend it to anyone :)

Damn you people. I can't afford this thing right now. Stop giving me reasons to blow my $899 on one.

Its not really 899 lol look on ebay you can get for about $700.00

:| where can i get that from

i just checked outpost and a DVI-DVI cable costs $55

but isn't a VGA-DVI adapter just as good?

the back of my monitor (1900FP) has both a VGA and DVI input