Windows XP SP2 for ALL

i've seen lots of talk about xp sp2 blocking out pirated copies, and i've come across an

article which says otherwise.

Both legitimate and unlicensed users of Microsoft's XP operating system software will be able to download the Service Pack 2 security patch for free

Microsoft's increasing concern over information security has translated into its decision to bite the bullet and make its upcoming SP2 (Service Pack 2) security patch available to all users - including those using pirated copies of its Windows XP software.

"We haven't explicitly done anything to SP2 to exclude it from pirated copies," said Microsoft group product manager Barry Goffe. The United States-based executive was interviewed via telephone.

Advertisement

This is unlike SP1 (Service Pack 1), which had features to prevent users with pirated copies from downloading it. In SP2's case, the mammoth 80MB to 250MB patch can be downloaded and installed on computers running both legitimate and pirated copies.

Users can also request a free CD copy of SP2, although shipping charges could apply, something which the company has yet to finalise, said Mr Goffe.

"It was a tough choice, but we finally decided that even if someone has pirated copy of Windows, it is more important to keep him safe than it is to be concerned about the revenue issue," he added.

He admitted, however, that it is more than altruism that helped Microsoft come to this decision.

"Having these unsecured users means bigger worm and virus outbreaks - which also impacts the Internet and consequently, our legitimate users as well."

Edited by aisoku

I guess this is a good thing. I don't believe in warez, but the more protected people there are, the smaller virus attacks are, and that means more happy users.

Remember, even n00bs might have warez (bought at a physical "warez shack").

Also, I think they might have changed their mind after they added the anti-piracy features to 2120.

wow, now that's interesting. Didn't the latest beta block out some people using pirated versions?

The latest beta failed to slipstream on certain systems. It could have been user error (who did the slipstreaming) or it could have been a bug in that particular beta release.

wow, now that's interesting. Didn't the latest beta block out some people using pirated versions?

Yes it did. Build 2120 to be exact. Guess we'll see what Windows XP SP2 RC2 does... :/

That's pretty extrage, i've seen some warezed keys being blocked, and some valid gotten-from-a-legitimate-source being blocked too? are they testing something in that build?

and Fred666, what exactly does slipstream means?

Edited by Ivand

worst part is i know the company with the FCKGW-RHQQ2.. i got a copy from my dad's friend's work with that serial...

DUDE FCKGW = F*CK George W. LMAO

In SP2's case, the mammoth 80MB to 250MB patch can be downloaded and installed on computers running both legitimate and pirated copies.

people...if 80MB-250MB is mammoth to you....you need to get the **** off modems and get dsl or cable or better.... :p

Wow, this is a very unexpected move by Microsoft indeed.

Radish?

slipstream means to integrate the service pack into a cd version of windows, so when you install windows, sp2 is already integrated, no need to download and install it later.

unexpected, but good. If they're beginning to think about everybody's privacy over their own revenue, then woo.

oh yeah, and....

LINUX IS BETTER THAN WINDOWS

(not a linux user)

It is all in the eye of the beholder. I, personally, will not use linux simply because of the issue of software compatability. To me, being able to run all my programs take a higher priority than having that 5-year uptime record.

i bet MS has a hidden agenda behind this.

Of course they do. Stopping worms from attacking Windows machines ;)

it costs them more to make more patches when these worms do arrive, so this way the more people updated, the less money they have to spend on patching everyone still on SP1.

Get it?

ok, but will they allow those with illegitimate copies of XP to use Windows Update V5 with SP2?

i dont use windows update anyway... :sleep:

autopatcher xp is my new best friend :D

oh yeah, and....

LINUX IS BETTER THAN WINDOWS

(not a linux user)

compare the user database, and then take into thought which operating system you would rather exploit. lets be real.

damn i wnated my friends to pay for dissing IBM and HP becuse those people didnt get any software and all of it is un legit