Dell Dimension XPS

After using this system for 2+ months, I feel I am now ready to create an informed review. :happy:

System as reviewed:

Manufacturer: Dell

Model: Dimension XPS

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2GHz HT

Memory: 2 gig DDR SDRAM (4 x 512) 400MHz

Video Card: 256 MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800XT w/ TV OUT

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Hard Drive(s): 500 GB RAID 0 (2x250GB SATA) / 120 GB Ultra ATA

Drives: 48x CD-RW Drive + 8x DVD-RW Drive

Included Software: Microsoft Office 2003 Pro , Dell Media Center, Dell Jukebox by MusicMatch, Cyberlink PowerDVD

---------------------------------------------------------

From the moment I received this computer, I knew this was one hell of a machine. Unlike the Dell?s I had previously owned, this beast was designed specifically for gaming / multimedia intense applications.

main.JPG

The Dimension XPS?s larger than average case (Dimensions: (H x W x D): 19.3" x 8.7" x 19.2") gives much room for expandability. Three 5.25? expansion bays, 1 3.5? bay, and 3 internal 3.5? bays coupled with 4 DIMM slots allow much room for expansion in the future.

bays.JPG

The system?s case is blue in color, along with dark grey sides. Brushed aluminum accents the front of the case making this easily the most fashionable case Dell has ever produced.

front.JPG

One particularly innovative feature of the Dimension XPS?s case is the drive door. Unlike many other cases, the door is double hinged allowing it to fold back flush against the side when open.

back.JPG

The back of the case contains a plethora of ports. There are 6 USB 2.0 ports, the Audigy 2 inputs/outputs. Digital (DVI) and analog (VGA) outputs along with S-Video (TV-out) on the 9800 XT, parallel, 2 serial, etc. Mine had 2 empty PCI slots allowing for much upgradeability in the future.

mobo.JPG

Inside the case you can see the green shroud covering the CPU. Two large fans exhaust hot air out of the ducts in the back of the case. This brings up my only complaint so far with the system ? the noise level. The Dimension XPS can be moderately noisy when the CPU is under a heavy load (during gaming, etc.) or during hot summer days. The fans on the CPU often seem to be working excessively leading to a consistent ?whooshing? noise. This is not a huge problem for me as I normally just drown it out with music, and it provides a comforting level of ?white noise? at night while I sleep. I suspect this would not a serious concern for the Dimension XPS?s intended audience.

The Dell XPS motherboard uses Intel's top 875P chipset, and includes the top ICH5R South Bridge with Intel SATA RAID support. Since Dell does not advocate overclocking, there are few or no means to tweak or overclock the motherboard settings. This has not been a huge deal for me as I have no desire to overclock the system, but I suspect this is a drawback for some of those considering the Dimension XPS.

cards.JPG

To date, this computer has handled anything and everything I?ve thrown at it. Games load unbelievably fast and the Radeon 9800XT makes graphics scream. Multimedia applications such as Adobe Photoshop CS, as while as Propellerhead?s Reason 2.5 don?t bog down the system even while running simultaneously along with dozens of other programs.

This computer has performed flawlessly for over two months and I couldn?t be happier with it. I?d highly recommend this system to anybody l;)king for a new and powerful PC. ;)

How much did it cost?

I picked it up a few months ago with a promotional affiliate code.... ;)

The system came bundled along with the Dell 2001FP monitor and a few other various peripherals for around $3000USD. :D

That's a pretty good deal, especially with a P4EE and 2001FP. I would have gone with an Athlon64. But great system :)

Jeez.. that case looks awfully congested in there.. The airflow is probably horrible. Not only that, the cable arrangement is horrible.

Have any suggestions then?

I was considering replacing the ribbon cables with rounded ones..... :happy:

Sell it. Build your own box. Screw Dell.

Give me an intelligent reason why, and I may consider what you said for the future.

Don't quote price, unless dramatically different, because it's always cheaper to walk than to take the bus or a cab. The difference is the time and energy you are willing to invest to do those things. If I choose to spend more time with my daughter and less time building a PC, that's a choice, not a performance issue. At the end of the day, my computer still works, just like the home-built one.

Don't say more configurable, because they are just as configurable. Unless you want to try to fry your processor and you OC it.

Do mention the incredible warranty you get from yourself. Do you give an over-the-counter exchange?

Do mention your telephone support. You offer one, don't you?

I like what you said here.

I bought the parts for my computer and then took it somewhere to be built. Turned out pretty good for me.

Never had any problems, thankfully!!

I agree with what you said, buying a good computer is still a very good option!

Uh Normall I'd say screw dell as well on account of not being able to OC (not an issue for you though) and price is often Dramatically different. However with this promtion code or whatever $3000 is not bad at all for that system with monitor. However I would hateto price that out without a code.

If I choose to spend more time with my daughter and less time building a PC, that's a choice, not a performance issue.

Heh, you talk like it takes 5 hours to build a computer. If you know what you are doing, you can build a machine in an hour and have it totally up and running with an OS in another hour. Sorry if I made it look like some flamebait or something, I'd just rather not go buy a PC.

Heh, you talk like it takes 5 hours to build a computer. If you know what you are doing, you can build a machine in an hour and have it totally up and running with an OS in another hour. Sorry if I made it look like some flamebait or something, I'd just rather not go buy a PC.

i'd prefer to build, because i find enjoyment out of building something myself and my last one took 2hrs < to get it 100%...although that dell does look quite nice :p ...its an order of preference really

Nice box!

Dell stuff is pretty nice, I gotta say.. and unfortunately the days are gone where you can shun the large PC builders and make your own for much cheaper. Simple fact is Dell do buy in HUGE numbers, and as a result they can undercut just about anyone with their prices. I'd still always build my own PC simply because its my interest, but Dell stuff is excellent value for money - and even more so in education with some of the discounts they give!!

That cooling system on the CPU is bigger than my head. :blink:

Do they offer you any overclocking options in their BIOS setup? Or would that automatically void your warranty?

That's an insane machine. I got a dell about 2 months ago, Dell 4600 with 2.8 Ghz HT. No where near your machine. But the Dell has performed marvelously for me. I still don't understand this cult following behind building one's computer. If someone doesn't build their own, these guys threaten to kill.