Installing OS X (10.2) on a PC

A quick and dirty guide for installing OSX on PearPC ;)

http://emon.us/pearpc.html

http://emon.aaronx.com/pearpc.html <-- Down

Edit: In PearPC the default amount of RAM for OS X is set to 128 megs ..

if you want to allocate more RAM .. follow these steps...

PearPC RAM settings HOWTO

1) Open the Windows Calculator ..

2) Go to View ..

3) select "scientific" ..

4) make sure its at "Dec" ..

5) Now type whatever amount of memory you want ..

6) Click on "Hex", memorize that Hex value ..

7) Open your PearPC config file and go to the line where it says #memory_size=0x8000000

8) Remove that # sign and type that Hex value over 80

For example:

256(Dec) = 100(Hex)

So to get 256 megs of RAM you have to type -> memory_size=0x10000000

384(Dec) = 180(Hex)

So to get 384 megs of RAM you have to type -> memory_size=0x18000000

Edited by Emon

Can this work for Panther (10.3) as well? I only say this because you specified 10.2 only.

It should work for 10.3 also. Although I haven't tested that yet.

thanks man :) when i read the news un the software section i was intimidated, but interested.

my question. what am i missing out on if i dont install things from the second cd?

thanks man :) when i read the news un the software section i was intimidated, but interested.

my question. what am i missing out on if i dont install things from the second cd?

Just like my guide says ..

Additional Printer Drivers, Fonts for Additional Languages, Additional Asian Fonts and Localized Files

Totally useless stuff. Removing those cuts down the installation time drastically.

Very cool, I like the idea of the pre prepared HD image, saves people downloading Darwin to make it bootable. I'm gonna have to give this a try tomorrow :D Hopefully someone can follow your guide with Panther so it's more of a universal guide.

Just like my guide says ..

Additional Printer Drivers, Fonts for Additional Languages, Additional Asian Fonts and Localized Files

Totally useless stuff. Removing those cuts down the installation time drastically.

oh ok. thanks.

i thought that it might have some extra features..

Nice guide. :) I'm having trouble with the IsoBuster part though - it doesn't seem to extract it properly (it either crashes or just hangs at 0%). Any ideas?

Thanks for the guide, its appreciated. :D

-folio

Nice tutorial. It would be good to know what the minimum (XP PC!) spec to get this to run (semi smoothly) would be (or even semi useably!). Are we even vaguely anywhere near a point where it would be worth going out and buying Panther especially, or does this remain in the realms of 'Massively dumb question.'?! Like many, here, I enjoy challanges and the idea of having only one computer box under my desk. iMacs running Windows XP under Virtual PC are absurdly slow, unless you are just doing office software tasks. I am told that even on a G5, Virtual PC is no great shakes, speed wise. Any thoughts on this are welcomed and enjoyed ;) Ah, people will mock... but I love these threads !

Nice tutorial. It would be good to know what the minimum (XP PC!) spec to get this to run (semi smoothly) would be (or even semi useably!). Are we even vaguely anywhere near a point where it would be worth going out and buying Panther especially, or does this remain in the realms of 'Massively dumb question.'?! Like many, here, I enjoy challanges and the idea of having only one computer box under my desk. iMacs running Windows XP under Virtual PC are absurdly slow, unless you are just doing office software tasks. I am told that even on a G5, Virtual PC is no great shakes, speed wise. Any thoughts on this are welcomed and enjoyed ;) Ah, people will mock... but I love these threads !

Yes it is slow but PearPC is only at the version 0.1.1

So wait for it to get matured.

hmm I got an error when extracting the image (its at the very end), might be the cd is scratched, anyways I'll get another copy from my friend :)

great guide...i've been looking for some spare time to get this done and didn't wanna read the massive 60+ page thread that was already posted ...this will speed things up greatly

Very nice guide, Thanks, making an an effor to download it right now

OMfG!!11!!11!!1 Ub3r 1337 w4r3z m0nk3y!1!111!one!11!eleven! :o :o :o :o

:p

is this made bootable from dos when u turn your computer, like so i can choose osx or xp? or does it need to be ran from the windows environment?