WMP 10 and SP2 conflict

This thread is'nt a place for discussion about these betas, I'm making this thread soley to help those who are having a problem with WMP 10 after installing a newer build of SP2. If you installed WMP 10 and then uninstalled SP2 to install a newer build of SP2 and WMP 10 now looks like WMP 9, this thread is for you.

Warning: I don't guarantee this will work but logically it should and it has worked for both bangbang023 and myself. I have no idea if this will work on longhorn, Server 2003, Windows XP 64 bit edition, or anything else besides Windows XP 32 bit.

To keep it short and simple, I'm not going to go through all the history of what builds I was using and why, because I honestly think this behavior will be the same across all builds. If it's not, by all means, please inform me. Before you begin, note that you should not open WMP at all until you're told. Doing so could cause problems and you might have to start over. Also note that I haven't thoroughly tested this, but as I said, it has worked for me and bangbang023.

Here's the instructions to get WMP back to version 10 beta:

1. Extract the contents of the WMP10 installer to a folder, say "C:\WMP10" for ease of use.

2. In this folder, select all the INF files except WMP10.INF. Right click all these files and choose "Install". This process will take a few minutes because you're installing several INFs at once.

3. When step 2 is finished, right click WMP10.INF and choose Install.

4. If you get a message asking you to reboot, do so.

5. Finally, navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Software\MediaPlayer\Setup\Installed Versions". There should be three binary values:

wmp.dll

wmplayer.exe

wmploc.dll

Set ALL of these values to the value "00 00 0A 00 91 0D 00 00".

6. Open WMP and you should be using WMP10 beta (Y)

For those of you who are lazy, I have attached a registry file that you may import in place of step 5.

WMP_10_fix.reg

Or he copied and pasted from a forum, i got the exact same instructions from a 64bit forum.

Good info all the same.

Does running c:\windows\inf\unregmp2.exe /UpdateWMP not work?

I don't know, I didn't know about that file until you mentioned it. Plus I'm more into manual fixes anyway :p If someone gets this to work before they use my solution, please say so (Y)

Or he copied and pasted from a forum, i got the exact same instructions from a 64bit forum.

Good info all the same.

:o Where? I swear I made this myself.

Good info all the same.

uh no, he wrote these from scratch.

well I knwo for a fact he didn't copy and paste those. I was talking to him while he was figuring everything out.

He did that 2 hours ago, Ok, I see your point. But my instructions are different from his. He says copy all the dll files to \windows\syswow64, I said install the INFs. Also, the registry key is different. I'm sorry, but I don't see how you think I copied them. His solution probably works on XP 64bit, whereas mine might not. I did all the work in this thread myself, I just didn't have time to test it because I don't have several different OSes installed.

But i still meet the problem when i was installing inf.

the error is : "the software you are installing has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility

with windows xp."

every inf have the error.

how to solve it?

But i still meet the problem when i was installing inf.

the error is : "the software you are installing has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility

with windows xp."

every inf have the error.

how to solve it?

According to my understanding, use script is the best way. No crack/hack ; just teach that

WMP 10 beta to work on 3790 or something other than XP. The main reason was that

WMP 10 Beta was only written for XP only, they are not supposed to work other than xp.

It's not only the inf files but also....... a long way to explain.........

BTW I'll write a script within 24 hours and post it later. Hope it help.