Gmail atachments size......

I've also heard that it's 10 megs, but it calculates that regardles of wheather you compress stuff.

If it is then my enthusiasm has just upped and left.......i dont need that amount of space, but i sure as **** need an account that isnt crippled like that. :no:

Hold on, are you question the size of attachments being sent FROM your gmail acc or being received INTO your gmail acc?

(yes there is probably a difference)

,Jun 18 2004, 18:16] Hold on, are you question the size of attachments being sent FROM your gmail acc or being received INTO your gmail acc?

(yes there is probably a difference)

Both. Most accounts i've had limit it the same in both directions anyway.

In that case the easy way to test is try to attach something greater than 10Mb and send it out to somewhere else, then send it back in (complete with attachment).

If it is then my enthusiasm has just upped and left.......i dont need that amount of space, but i sure as **** need an account that isnt crippled like that. :no:

Where are you going to find a webmail service that allows for more than 10mb attachments? Not to mention, what are you going to send through e-mail that's more than 10 MBs!

Where are you going to find a webmail service that allows for more than 10mb attachments? Not to mention, what are you going to send through e-mail that's more than 10 MBs!

My point exactly.

My point exactly.

Erm.........i could mention a million things (songs, apps, games, videos, pictures (you ever seen the size of a 24bit bmp or targa file? they can exceed gigs, not just megs) documents etc etc etc...

Point? yeah, your point is you didnt think it through.

Where are you going to find a webmail service that allows for more than 10mb attachments?

Does you ISP's mailbox not allow for unlimited (or at least have a high ceiling) attachment size?

what's the point in allowing you to store a gig and only allowing an attatchment as big as 10MB? Gmail is not all I hoped it would be, BUT early days yet.

what's the point in allowing you to store a gig and only allowing an attatchment as big as 10MB? Gmail is not all I hoped it would be, BUT early days yet.

That is kinda what i am trying to find out. I couldnt even fill my 6mb limit on my yahoo account before they upgraded it to 100mb (i usually read my mail, download any attachment then bin it, i don't have a great memory or anything but most e-mails i send/get are more "notes" than anything else anyway, and for personal things that are worth keeping i usually still use the good old snail mail.)

Spymac (Another free 1GB email provider) also has a 10MB attachment limit, when they were asked about this issue, their response was that it was somthing along the lines about MySQL not allowing them to extend the limit.

Erm.........i could mention a million things (songs, apps, games, videos, pictures (you ever seen the size of a 24bit bmp or targa file? they can exceed gigs, not just megs) documents etc etc etc...

Well ****, why the hell would you be sending games and videos through email anyways. Then you said this

That is kinda what i am trying to find out. I couldnt even fill my 6mb limit on my yahoo account before they upgraded it to 100mb (i usually read my mail, download any attachment then bin it, i don't have a great memory or anything but most e-mails i send/get are more "notes" than anything else anyway, and for personal things that are worth keeping i usually still use the good old snail mail.)

Why the hell are you complaining about the 10MB when you "couldnt even fill your 6mb limit". You confuse me to no end. Now vraa made a good point with the excel spreadsheets, but .bmps? Those are unnecessarily large. Pictures? Compress the damn things and send them in seperate files. It wont kill you.

Well ****, why the hell would you be sending games and videos through email anyways. Then you said this

Why the hell are you complaining about the 10MB when you "couldnt even fill your 6mb limit". You confuse me to no end. Now vraa made a good point with the excel spreadsheets, but .bmps? Those are unnecessarily large. Pictures? Compress the damn things and send them in seperate files. It wont kill you.

You're confusing yourself mate..... 6mb STORAGE limit. I'm not talking about storage, i'm talking about the max filesize you can send (and with a storage of 1gb, you'd imagine this (attachment size) would increase accordingly.)

and as for the .bmps.......i assume you dont do anything concerning graphics, you simply cant compress images if they are still at the editing stage.

Jeez........how stupid are some people.

Songs, apps, games .... and legally? Doubtful. As for high resolution images, sorry, it's the internet, that's what JPEG compresion is for. P2P, instant messengers, and FTP are much better at sending files than e-mail.

I send Excel spreadsheets that are easily 30 megs..

For work? Because then you should have a work account, not some webmail one.
Does you ISP's mailbox not allow for unlimited (or at least have a high ceiling) attachment size?

Yeah, they usually allow for as large as the mailbox is, but the three I've had over the years have been 10MB and 25MB accounts max.

Not to mention, you could just split the file into a few files with a rar program.

Think that through again there buddy. If you said you couldnt fill you 6mb storage limit on your yahoo, why would you care that you cant send 10mb through gmail. I mean you said it yourself "most e-mails i send/get are more "notes" than anything else anyway, and for personal things that are worth keeping i usually still use the good old snail mail". Come now.