Speed boot?

Hi guys!

I am interesting in making my windows boot _fast_ as the installation will be used on a htpc.

What and how do you go about making windows boot super fast?

TIA

The boot process on Windows XP replys greatly on the Hard Disk when booting up. So, according to that - At 10K Western Digital SATA Drive Would be Recommended.

Something to add which i have noticed;

When you have just installed XP, Defragment the Disk straight away, i may be wrong. But this does seem to make the System load up slightly faster.

I was thinking more in the line of "hey man, download this great tool, it let's you disable all the junk in windows, making it startup in two nanoseconds" or "hey just go to this url and disable all the services listed there and delete this and that" :)

I was thinking more in the line of "hey man, download this great tool, it let's you disable all the junk in windows, making it startup in two nanoseconds" or "hey just go to this url and disable all the services listed there and delete this and that" :)

If that existed, wouldnt we be all using it?

If you want to help speed up startup, get rid of unnessecary programs starting up with the computer.

Run -> msconfig -> Startup tab

Works for me quite well.

I just mean that for a htpc there is no need for the calculator or paint is there? That was a silly example I know, but i guess you get the general idea..

:huh: Dont know about making windows boot fast.

Linux on the other hand. Theyve been able to almost have an instant on right?

And I thought good ol Lieberman Tech was able to do this with their puRAM or whatever.

About Bootvis.exe

Bootvis.exe is a performance tracing and visualization tool that Microsoft designed to help PC system designers and software developers identify performance issues for boot/resume timing while developing new PC products or supporting software.

Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/syspe...ot/bootvis.mspx

bootvis is part of xp thats why they supply it as a download to the people that hear about it. why not have it run as a resource every week built into windows. hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks Kiwi, I knocked 2 seconds of my boot time, and 10 seconds off my "Getting to desktop" time.

the stats.....

Without:

48 seconds

Get to windows, 49 seconds extra.

With:

46 seconds

Get to windows 39 seconds.

These are all cold boot average times (out of 3) and then the getting to windows time was taken on the third time.

They seem slow, but trust me I would have guessed "30 seconds to boot up" if I hadn't timed it.

Really 10 whole seconds, man how sweet is that - you ROCK!!!

Lets see with the time you wasted figuring out last century's newb thing to do, and being - well being a D_CK to someone trying to help.

And then rebooting your box multiple times to time it - man is your life that boring, that you have nothing better to do than time how long it takes for you computer to boot up?? And to see if you can shave a couple of seconds off it??

I would estimate that it will only take you about 2 or 3 months worth of rebooting to get that time back, at 10 seconds a reboot. ;) That is if you sit there waiting for it to start every time.

Here's a hint - don't reboot your machine unless require for hardware changes or software updates, and you will have instant access - lets see takes maybe what 2 seconds for the screen to pop on, and you would be good to go!

Really 10 whole seconds, man how sweet is that - you ROCK!!!

Lets see with the time you wasted figuring out last century's newb thing to do, and being - well being a D_CK to someone trying to help.

And then rebooting your box multiple times to time it - man is your life that boring, that you have nothing better to do than time how long it takes for you computer to boot up??  And to see if you can shave a couple of seconds off it??

I would estimate that it will only take you about 2 or 3 months worth of rebooting to get that time back, at 10 seconds a reboot. ;)  That is if you sit there waiting for it to start every time.

Here's a hint - don't reboot your machine unless require for hardware changes or software updates, and you will have instant access - lets see takes maybe what 2 seconds for the screen to pop on, and you would be good to go!

I second that!

My computer's never off unless it needs to be restarted. And that really isn't turning it off if you think about it...

Use bootvis to get a list of files that are loaded during bootup. Find out which files are absolutely unnecessary and unregister/remove them. Though if something goes wrong, you're likely screwed, so keep a list of all the files you remove (Y)