How good is your antivirus?

Question

Since most would like to argue bout what is the best antivirus. I decided to open this thread solely for testing your preferred antivirus. This is a compilation of a group of hackers.

*************WARNING*************

THIS IS NOT FOR THE SCAREDY CATS. THERE ARE ALL VALID VIRUSES. DO NOT OPEN THEM OR EXTRACT THEM TO ANY LOCATION. SAFEST METHOD TO TEST YOUR ANTIVIRUS IS TO SCAN THE COMPRESSED FILE. I WILL NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR YOUR ACTION.

Here's a link to download an archive file containing the viruses. READ THE WARNING BELOW BEFORE CLICKING HERE

TEST THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

If you dare to take this challenge, do post the screenshots of the antivirus in action and please do not use any Photoshoping skills to manipulate the results.

Try to post at least the following information for others to evaluate

1) Program/scan engine version (Exm NAV 2004, AVG 6 Paid Version, SAV 9.0.0.338 and etc)

2) Any settings you changed

3) Screenshots (Optional as proof)

EDIT: Contrary to the filename which tells you 455 viruses, no it is not. Actual total is 593. If your antivirus detected them all, well done.

Edited by dreamthief

NOD32, Version 1.784 (20040610). Here's the result. I got a friend with NOD32 updated with the latest virus definition. Same results as below.

post-12-1088274682.jpg

I'm not going to ask how you found a virus on the internet. :no: I bet the answer wouldn't surprise me though.

Haha... i dont trust virusbtn and etc too much. I like to search for other "sources" to really give the antivirus a good run for the money i paid.

well i tried to download it and poped up with this. failed to finish download

av is McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1

post-12-1088274873.jpg

This a little crazy idea and I would suggest ALL newbies to stay away from this file however I scanned with Norton AV 2004 and it found a lot of viruses I think around 500 or so.

OK...

My antivirus software is KNOWLEDGE! (Like not using IE/OE, not opening anything I didn't expect, and keeping Windows up to date.)

And my knowledge says I'm not going to download those viruses and put them on my computer because that's rather suspicious.

I do use AVG as a backup tho, just in case.

right

isn't this just a little stupid?

kinda like picking up a hooker and hoping the condom holds?

yes, you can say that in a way. But the best way is always to test it!!!

One more thing to add, the best antivirus would be the ones that dont even allow you to download it. Unless you purposely turn it off (like myself).

@kitteny_berk

Yes, it would be a better idea. But bear that in mind. That eicar virus is just a test file. Every AV has already include it for their product to detect it. If the AV doesn't detect it, you might as well dump it in the trash bin.

I'm going to test it using AVG. Wish me luck.

[edit] i didn't even unzip it, just right-clicked to scan the file, it didn't even start before a warning popped up. I'll run the program now and see what happens.

@digitalslacker

It's perfectly safe if you dont double click or extract it out. This set of viruses are quite "famous" used to test antivirus. Google it. You will find many places to get the file.

Bout the link not working, linky down.. Too much bandwidth was used. LOL

You can use edonkey to download it.

ed2k://|file|455.Viren.(virus.virii.collection).rar|1702323|20CC4F482C202A570C0E6C6914724FC7|/

The password for the RAR is "danger" with the " ".