Windows XP Service Pack 2 build 2180

I've created this thread to hopefully prevent people from asking the same questions over and over again about Windows XP SP2 build 2180.

The version

This is the final version of SP2. It is in the RTM (release to manufacturers) state. Microsoft has released it officially on their site today (Monday, August 9th). This is the same exact version as the one from Windows Beta that was given out a few days ago.

If Windows says your version is Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158, don't worry, it's supposed to look like that. 2158 is not the build number, it's the build time (040803-2158 is August 3rd, 2004 9:58 PM).

Downloading

You can download Windows XP SP2 build 2180 at the following locations: English | German

The SP2 File

There have been plenty of threads about verifying your SP2 file.

English version:

- The MD5 sum should be 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7. You can get an MD5 checksum verifier here.

- The file size should be about 266.01 megabytes.

- It should be digitally signed by Microsoft. To check for a digital signature, right click the file, click Properties, and go to the Digital Signatures tab.

German version:

- The MD5 sum should be 2fa1439dd7425848ba187213f9b9949f. You can get an MD5 checksum verifier here.

- The file size should be about 265.06 megabytes.

- It should be digitally signed by Microsoft. To check for a digital signature, right click the file, click Properties, and go to the Digital Signatures tab.

If all of the above are true, you have a real copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2 build 2180. The timestamp isn't as important as the information above and may change for many reasons.

Express Installation

At this time, there is not an express installation available.

Updating

Yes, it is possible to update from previous versions of Windows XP SP2 to build 2180. It is, however, cleaner to slipstream and reformat.

To update, just run the service pack executable.

Slipstreaming (the easy way)

AutoStreamer is an easy way to slipstream a Service Pack onto a Windows XP CD. It does everything for you, so if you want to include the uxtheme.dl_ file mentioned below, use WinRAR to add it to the ISO.

Slipstreaming (manually)

1) Download Service Pack 2 build 2180 to C:\xpsp2.exe

2) Download this boot file to C:\xpboot.bin

3) Insert your XP CD into your CD drive.

4) Run the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd).

5) Enter xcopy /E /I /V D:\ C:\XPCD into the command prompt and press enter. Replace D: with the drive your XP CD is in.

6) Enter C:\xpsp2.exe -s:C:\XPCD into the command prompt and press enter.

The updated contents of your CD are now in C:\XPCD. You may create an ISO from these files or burn them to a CD. Because it highly depends on your software, I will not go into how to do that here. When you make an ISO or burn a CD, use xpboot.bin in the boot options of your software to make your CD bootable. Before burning your CD, you may want to read "Patching uxtheme.dll".

Note: Some people say it's better to slipstream from an XP CD without Service Pack 1, but I don't think it makes a real difference in the end.

The Boot Screen

Yes, the boot screen has changed. The version and copyright have been removed. No, it wasn't beta only (obviously).

Patching uxtheme.dll (prehacking the file through the CD)

If you haven't already burned a CD, you can include a hacked uxtheme.dl_ file on the CD so when you install XP, you're ready to use third party themes.

Get the modified uxtheme.dl_ file at the following locations: English | German

Copy the file to the i386 directory of your CD.

* This uxtheme.dll has been hacked by vortex and it has been compressed to be used on a CD by myself.

Patching uxtheme.dll (on a system with 2180 already installed)

If you have already burned a CD or you already have Service Pack 2 build 2180 installed, you will need to replace the file yourself.

Get the modified uxtheme.dll file here.

To replace uxtheme.dll on a system already running build 2180, use Replacer and replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll with the modified version in your language. You may have to boot into safe mode to replace the file.

Please note: Neowin's Multi-Patcher does not yet work with Service Pack 2.

Edited by todd`

Excellent... (Y)

Clears up a lot of confusion for people. You might want to give some thought to including a link to nw_raptor's AutoStreamer which really simplifies the process of slipstreaming Service Packs

Good, although about checking the MD5 string? There weren't any fakes that I'm aware of. Just changes in filename. Changes in filename changes the MD5 sum,

(Y) Awesome guide! Maybe it should be moved to A Collection of Essential Guides :huh: Just a thought though!

I wasn't sure where to put it.. on one hand, SP2 is not beta so it might go in XP Support forum, and it is a guide, so it might go in A Collection of Essential Guides, but a lot of common questions are being asked here.. so I ended up putting it here because I thought it would benefit the most people :unsure:

Good, although about checking the MD5 string? There weren't any fakes that I'm aware of. Just changes in filename. Changes in filename changes the MD5 sum,

There were a few. One appeared to be it but wasn't digitally signed, one was 80MB (hah) .. but many people are asking for MD5 sums so I included it..

Ummmmmmmmmm... please tell me this doesn't matter:

I have the exact same version as listed in the original post; same size, same hash, verified, etc.

Now for my worry...

I just booted up into safe mode (hitting F5 or F9 at boot) and this is what it says at the top of the screen:

:BUILD 2600 xpsp sp2 rtm.040803-2158:sp2"

Is this still the final version? (or build 2158?) <---as I said it is the same one listed in the original post... I am confused.

ok I have just installed the RTM slipstreamed but all the about windows etc. show xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

so 2158?

is something wrong with my install or should it show 2158.

1 - my md5 hash matches

2 - hd was formatted before install

3 - files I overwritten on the i386 dir on the cd were notepad.ex_ (metapad) and uxtheme.dl_

ok I have just installed the RTM slipstreamed but all the about windows etc. show xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

so 2158?

is something wrong with my install or should it show 2158.

1 - my md5 hash matches

2 - hd was formatted before install

3 - files I overwritten on the i386 dir on the cd were notepad.ex_ (metapad) and uxtheme.dl_

2158 was the time it was compiled. in 24 hour time, of course. ;)

WHEW! <Sigh of relief> (I just installed it on 5 machines now and realized this... heheh)

You beat me to it... I found that information on a german forum site:

"that is the time in the military format, when one compiled -- 2158 = 21,58 o'clock = 9.58PM rolleyes.gif before it the date, in amerik. the format -- 040803 -- 03.08.04"

It's the one! yay~!!

i still dont see the digital signature tab and I got the damn file directly from windowsbeta.

Oops sorry

- It should be digitally signed by Microsoft. To check for a digital signature, right click the file and go to the Digital Signatures tab.
should be
- It should be digitally signed by Microsoft. To check for a digital signature, right click the file, click properties, and go to the Digital Signatures tab.

fixed :blush:

(Y) Awesome guide! Maybe it should be moved to A Collection of Essential Guides :huh: Just a thought though!

Definately an essential guide - for n00bs (Y)

:$

Microsoft is expected to release it on their site officially on Tuesday (August 10th).

So maybe it will be up at Windows Update tomorrow?

Sure hope so!

Anyway does XPlite and Driver Cleaner work with this?

Edited by iron2000

That uxtheme patch messed up my computer, are you sure that's the right version?

Yes. The uxtheme.dll files have come straight from vortex and uploaded to my webspace; is it possible you grabbed the wrong version? The uxtheme.dl_ files are vortex's files compressed by myself and I have tested the English version. The German version should work as well, but I don't have a machine to test it on.