Did u know Microsoft Uses 20% of ur Bandwidth?!

A nice little tweak for XP. Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

Have fun. :D :D :woot:

maybe if it is BITS, that idle bandwidth thing used for Windows Update. Do you think it is OK to do this?

I mean there must be a reason for that reserved bw

Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support

There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q316666

FOr those who it works, you probably installed the QoS when you let Windows configure your networks and thus the reason why you see a difference. I tried just in case and I see no result as the others as well.

Pure BS. XP doesn't reserve bandwidth by itself.

Some program has to instruct XP to reserve the bandwidth.

Infact changing this setting will break smooth playback of streaming media applications.

Well all i know is that it works for me and may work for others too!

Just sharing the Info!

omg me 2 my internat is fasta then ever, i think its so fast im gonna turn super saiyan 3 im so fast

QoS reservation is only used when the system launches QoS-compatible applications. And I'm willing to bet that you don't have any QoS-complaint applications on your system. It's pretty high-end stuff used for specialized video confering and similar stuff.

On the assumption that you have no QoS-complaint applications on your system then no bandwidth is reserved.