Microsoft reveals Windows XP Starter Edition boxes

Looks weird to me, not really up to MS standards. Another thing that caught my eye was the taskbar running along the bottom of the case, it has no place on the box. Normally, when targeting a certain market group, MS doesn't identify them visually as is shown in this collection. For example, Arabic Windows XP doesn't have any "arab" items on the box...

I visited the official microsoft site for all 3 countries and couldn't find any mention of this. Granted, I didn't go too deep into each site. Does Microsoft generally show the packaging for a product before it's been released? I can't recall any major recent release where that happened. Feel free to prove me wrong :)

Until someone can verify this (or bring up the MS link), I do believe this is fake (or an extremely shoddy job).

Until someone can verify this (or bring up the MS link), I do believe this is fake (or an extremely shoddy job).

Those pictures are legit, original, real ones, whatever you wanna call it. :D

Look here

I didn't know anything much about Starter Edition, but I just pulled this off the Microsoft Web Site

With Windows XP Starter Edition, first-time home PC users can have up to three programs and three windows per program running concurrently. Further simplification of the operating system includes the display resolution set to 800x600 maximum and no support for PC-to-PC home networking, sharing printers across a network or more advanced features such as the ability to establish multiple user accounts on a single PC.

I see what you mean by insane limitations.

Oh god, they deprive these users of visual style support?

Like not including Luna is saving money?

Oh Microsoft, you really are a sick disgusting company.

I wouldn't care if my WinXP install had Visual Styles or not - it's just not really important to me.

I wouldn't care if my WinXP install had Visual Styles or not - it's just not really important to me.

I wouldn't care either, in fact, I haven't even got the Themes service enabled.

What about a maximum resolution of 800 x 600?

I'm surprised that they included support for sound. Who is going to actually buy this junk?

Junk, yes Junk is what it is.

Oh god, they deprive these users of visual style support?

Like not including Luna is saving money?

Oh Microsoft, you really are a sick disgusting company.

Its not about saving money. Its about making the interface easy and familiar to get used to. You're talking to people who's probably never used a computer in their life. You don't want to hit them with MSStyles on their first run.

Its not about saving money. Its about making the interface easy and familiar to get used to. You're talking to people who's probably never used a computer in their life. You don't want to hit them with MSStyles on their first run.

So they make it look like Windows 98?

I thought the whole point of the kiddish style of Luna was part of the 'ease of use' of Windows XP. A big green start button that a blind person would be lucky to miss.

This is bad marketing at it's best.

I'll be surprised if people waste a blank cd to even pirate this crap.