[Review] Logitech z-5500

GO ME! Enjoy!

Logitech Z-5500 Review

Review Homepage: DAn's Webpage

Introduction:

Ever want speakers that can pound and supply quality sound that won’t break your bank? I think you may have found them. I like to call these speakers the Klipsch Killer.

Price: $390 CAD

Inside the Box:

4 x Satellite Speakers

Center Channel

Subwoofer

Digital Control Center

Wireless Remote and Batteries

6-Channel Direct Cables

Instruction Booklet

Set Up Guide

About the Speakers:

- 5.1 Surround Sound

- Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoder

- Dolby Pro-Logic II

- DTS 96/24 – This means it can decode 96KHz 24-Bit DTS Audio Streams.

- THX Certified – This is not a decoder if you may have thought it was. THX certification means it meets THX sound standards. (Basically this means these things can pound)

- Aluminium 3” Drivers

- 10” 188w Subwoofer

- 505w RMS

- 1010w Peak

Set-Up

Setting the speakers up was a breeze. Just put them where they are labelled on the back of the speaker and plug the cable into the correct coloured spot.

Configuring wasn’t the easiest part of these speakers, that’s for sure. People new to audio may have some trouble configuring these speakers. To set these up to my SB Audigy 2 Platinum I had to first plug a RCA – Mini Jack Y splitter into the Digital Out and plug the White RCA cable into the Coax In on the Digital Control Center. I now had to select digital out in speaker settings and 5.1 Configuration. That’s not all, I now had to go into the Creative AudioHQ and select external decoder. Now when a digital source comes up, the decoder will detect it and start playing that sweet sweet digital sound.

The Tests:

For the following tests I used the following PC

Intel Pentium 4 2.40B GHz

512MB DDR RAM

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

36.7GB Raptor 10K RPM SATA

80GB Maxtor HDD

Pioneer DVR-108

8x Lite-On DVD-ROM

Logitech z-5500 Speakers (Duh!)

The first test, a movie!

The movie I chose was 2 Fast 2 Furious. The Player I used was PowerDVD 5

Immediately the speakers detected a digital source and the encoder started playing the digital 5.1 track. That sound was crisp, sharp and sounded amazing. The car engines sounded realistic and the bass was perfect. No gross uneven rumble. Just clean clear thunderous bass.

Test 2: Unreal Tournament 2004

I failed to get the Dolby Digital to encode through the Digital Control Center but this may be a user error. I switched from Coax to Direct input and my Audigy 2 did the Dolby encoding. It sounded like I was in a real gun fun. Great sound and great graphics can rally make it feel like your in the game. I played for 30 min and was very pumped after this. I have never felt this kind of excitement from a game before. It was just so much more fun.

Test 3: Call of Duty

24-Bit never sounded so sweet. The bullets hurling by you makes you feel as if you were in World War 2. Maybe I should show my grandpa this? Maybe not, it may scare him or make him tell me and old war story. Anyways back to the speakers. The bullets whirling past you and the explosions going off sending the sub to pound. These speakers really rock.

Test 4: Music

The Logitech z-680s were not very good for music and whether the owners will agree or not is up to them but it’s the truth. These speakers completely change that. Music sounds great! The satellites can really make music sound amazing.

Test 5: DJ Mikes Bass Test

This was a very interesting experience for me. My entire CD collection fell to the ground; my trophies fell of the shelf the Control Center tried to run away. Basically the sub pounds away so hard that you cant talk anymore. This is not yucky bass either. It’s strong but clean bass. Something you get from Klipsch only louder and stronger. These reach really low frequencies.

Conclusion:

Klipsch, you have just been pwn3d. These speakers provide very clear sound combined with strong bass. It’s hard to beat that.

These Speakers rightfuly get 9/10

Kick Ass Product Logitech, keep up the great work!

post-21093-1097640883.jpg

post-21093-1097640890.jpg

post-21093-1097640899.jpg

post-21093-1097641052.jpg

post-21093-1097641067.jpg

Edited by Liquid

These speakers sound very good :D

Question: Have you ever listened to the Gigaworks S750, and if so, how do you think they compare to the Logitech Z-5500?

The Z-680s aren't good for music? Yeah right, they sound fantastic. They are great speakers, but you were bound and determined to give these a 10/10 before you ever got them.

If the 'control center' is anything like the one included with the Z-680s, it should be simple to set up. There is a 3-way cable that goes from the control center to the rear of the sub.

You should include the pictures in the review too. That sub is huge.

damn in india they arent even available , the retailer tell me ill get after new year :( plus they are selling the 680's at a price of abt 560$ U.S :( ..........i guess il have to go to abroad to get these babes :) .

what the heck dude, they don't take standard speaker wiring like the 680's did. That's a HUGE disappointment.

584724130[/snapback]

my sentiments exactly.

584724257[/snapback]

Actually having RCA cables isn't much of a setback. Its a bit more expensive for cable but the rear speakers come with 25' of cable in them already. It may be a problem some but not most.

Pics Added

So Liquid, I'm guessing you have actually owned the Klipsch Ultra 5.1s to compare them too? Did you do any side by side comparissons?

Do you own or have owned the gigaworks s750s?

As far as PC speakers go, I have found logitechs offerings to be the lesser compared to gigaworks or klipschs in terms of fidelity and music especially, logitech makes a big boom though, kids love that these days.

So Liquid, I'm guessing you have actually owned the Klipsch Ultra 5.1s to compare them too?  Did you do any side by side comparissons?

Do you own or have owned the gigaworks s750s?

As far as PC speakers go, I have found logitechs offerings to be the lesser compared to gigaworks or klipschs in terms of fidelity and music especially, logitech makes a big boom though, kids love that these days.

584724286[/snapback]

I have used the Klipsch before and was very impressed but these blew me away.

If you're a home theater kind of guy, you could go for this for about the same price:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-Home-...roductDetail.do

584723974[/snapback]

Not really. The Z-5500's are quoted in Canadian dollars. The speakers you are talking about are priced in USD.

[edit]Nevermind, I just noticed you get a special web deal, making them $254 US. [/edit]

here's a review of the gigaworks s750 with some references to the klipsch

speakers as well.

an interesting read.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/113/1/

or this review

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedi...works-s750.html

what did tom's have to say

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/200312221/index.html

Edited by badnewz

Is there a headphone jack somewhere in that setup?

and OT is there a headphone jack in the Klipsch Ultra 5.1?

I think it's between those two for my next set of speakers.

584724469[/snapback]

Yes there is a headphone jack. Its on teh Control Center. Along with many many inputs.