Add ProcessIdleTasks cmd to your Start....

Here's a quick install routine I've created that puts the ProcessIdleTasks command on your XP Pro/Home right-pane start menu. This install routine relies on xcopy, and WSH (Windows Scripting host). Some antivirus programs will halt scripts, so if it doesn't work for you, that may be why. You can disable script blocking for this install or choose to allow scripts at any prompts. Please disregard the negative criticism posted below, it's mostly unfounded. Once it's installed, The ProcessIdleTasks API is called from advapi32.dll via a vbscript file when you click the gear icon. Not sure what Process Idle Tasks does? Search Google and find out. Or read the brief explaination.txt below. An uninstall routine is included through the batch file Install.bat and choosing U for uninstall. Instructions are included. The icon pictured in the image below, is now the same as the one included with the install. This is freeware whith no license. Use at your own risk. Note: This package is virus free. It is simply a self extracting zip file, and nothing gets installed without your permission. Update: PIT.exe has been updated on 10/31/2004. Fixed a script file in the install routine that would execute a "lock workstation" command rather than a reboot when clicked. Fixed a file copy incompatability. Changed param1 from REG_SZ to REG_EXPAND_SZ using %SystemRoot%\system32\ rather than an exact path for compatabiltity with non default windows installation paths. 7/17/2006, added a new icon to reflect what's shown in the example image below. Download file: PIT.exe 121kb

stmenu.jpg

Process_idle_tasks_explaintion.txt

Edited by samxt

ooooo thankyou samxt.. this is great! Well done!

for those of you too lazy to google lol

What does Process Idle Tasks do?

This command will force the OS to process all idle tasks. If your PC is never idle these tasks will never run. One of the tasks that Windows XP performs during idle times is the optimization of the files needed to start the OS. These files will be re-arranged on the disk and match the exact order they are loaded during startup. This list is in C:\Windows\Prefetch\Layout.ini.

Why do I need to use Process Idle Tasks?

Optimised and improved startup times

:D

You just took that from the User Guide forum, and it doesn't even work for half of the people here...

584781698[/snapback]

Actually the Install routine that I've created for this command cannot be found anywhere but in this post. And there are actually two tweaks that make this work. The first is the branding windows XP article from TweakXp.com. And the second is Not really a tweak per se, but just knowledge of the ProcessIdleTaksks command that I learned about a long time ago somewhere other than Neowin. Then I just threw some batch files and vbscript files together to copy the files and add registry entries, then posted it here for anyone to try if they want. I make no claim that it will work for everyone, and I'm not going to go into the technical details as to why this doesn't work for everybody. But it has been tested on a few XP pro and Home machines, all with success. Of course, you can always invoke the ProcessIdleTasks command manually via the run dialog box if you want.

rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

what visual style are you using. that looks pretty cool

584781712[/snapback]

I believe the theme (Visual Style) I'm using is called Ivorance, and probably got it at http://www.themexp.org/ a long time ago.

Themes should not affect the display of this icon.

It sounds like the maybe the files were not for some odd reason copied to C:\windows\system32. or your %SystemRoot%\system32\ folder

Go to C:\Program Files\Process Idle Tasks\ and manually copy the files " ProcessIdleTasks.vbs" and gear.ico to: %SystemRoot%\system32. Reboot or To see new icons and sizes without rebooting go to Display\Appearance\Advanced\change Item to Icon, then make a chnge to icon size down or up a notch then back, click OK, and then apply to see the new icon on the start menu.

You could try or do this: Go to the following Registry key and edit the path of the default icon value to any you wish? This is the key:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon]

Upon trying to figure out how to possibly solve this problem, I have changed all references, and file copy command paths that read C:\Windows\System32\ to %SystemRoot%\System32\ for compatibility of non default Windows installations in an effort to alleviate some of these problems. I will post another updated PIT.exe file soon. It will be available through the original download link above.

Edited by samxt

OK slimy. If you ever want to run the command without enabling scripts, just copy and paste this command in the run box.

rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

With my antivirus software, I can allow scripts that I know are safe, you just have to configure it to prompt you when a script runs on your system. Once you authorize the script, it will be allowed from then on., just the ones you authorize.

a batch file will do it also, and not be interpeted as a script, but the batch window lingers until some things get done

--------Cut and paste below---------

echo off

echo.

echo Processing Idle Tasks

echo.

echo To Improve Performance!

echo.

echo Please Wait.......

echo.

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

-------------save as .bat---------------------