Use router as switch

Setup:

Server - Router (D-LINK 614+) - Workstation

Server has internet, its NIC is connected to the WAN port of the D-Link router

Crossover cable is connected from one of the LAN ports on the router to workstation

Cables:

1 short CAT5e patch cable

1 long CAT5 crossover cable

How would I make the router run as a switch? I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO use the crossover cable because the workstation is far away.

I disabled DHCP on the router and let the server issue IPs but the only thing getting an IP is the router ...

kind of an odd setup....

DSL/Cable modem should be plugged into WAN.

Server into one LAN port and workstation into another. Then still disable DCHP on router and have your server take care of it. As for having to use a crossover cable because of distance...this is odd to me too...I have plenty of workstations connected to my router via regular Cat5E that are 120-160 feet from the router. The length restriction of Cat5E is roughly 100meters (300+ feet), are you telling me your workstation is further than 300 feet from your router?

Whoopsies, I put irrelevant info ... LoL

the crossover is 50ft :rofl:

I had this setup workin befo by switchin off DHCP in teh leet router but now I am using the long crossover cable and it don't work :|

i try what ye said, ya heard?

You don't need a crossover. Crossover cables do not increase the distance you can run CAT5/6.

The reason why you're worstation is not getting an IP is simply because it's sending an IP to your router. The router then uses NAT so you need to assign an IP on the workstation in that range. Why oh why you set this up the way that you did is beyond me.

Connect the router to the internet and plug that workstation and server up to the router. Disable DHCP on the router and let the server assign IP addresses. The answer to your question is no. If you want a switch buy one.

The answer to your question is no.  If you want a switch buy one.

584808624[/snapback]

he can use a router as a switch. Its something i do at home myself.

If yuou plug all your networked machines into the LAN ports and none in the WAN, turn off DHCP on the router it should be fine but i would use straight through rather than Xover as this might be causeing a problem.

If you only have two machines i'd also recommend using static IP's.

he can use a router as a switch. Its something i do at home myself. 

If yuou plug all your networked machines into the LAN ports and none in the WAN, turn off DHCP on the router it should be fine but i would use straight through rather than Xover as this might be causeing a problem.

If you only have two machines i'd also recommend using static IP's.

584808740[/snapback]

That's all essentially correct and it answers your question but I would question your question.

Why do you want to do this? Why not put the internet into the router's WAN port and then connect the server and the other computer to the router's LAN ports? That way you get a hardware firewall, hardware DHCP and your client computer will still work even if your server is offline (perhaps while fixing the server one day you'd like to google something).

If you need to have specific ports open for the server (FTP, WWW, whatever) then you can configure the router for this or even use the DMZ mode of your router.

Why make things more complicated than they need to be?

p.s. If you do this then don't forget to disable the software DHCP as you don't want to have two DHCP servers running at the same time.

Why do you want to do this? Why not put the internet into the router's WAN port and then connect the server and the other computer to the router's LAN ports?

optiplex could do this, Im just stating that it is possible to use a router as a switch.

I am forced to use the method i described above becuase my ADSL modem only has USB output and so won't plug into my router.

If I read right, the reason you need to use the X-Over cable is because you have it, and another cable of that length would be rather expensive. Even so, it really shouldn't be a problem. Most recent routers support MDI/MDIX meaning that they can use either X-Over or straight-thru comfortably,