Pioneer Ultraviolet Laser Promises 500gb Disks

Japanese Hardware maker Pioneer has developed a technique which will allow optical drives to store 500GB of data.

That's according to the Nikkei Business Daily, which reported that the technique will use ultraviolet lasers, which emit shorter wavelength rays than blue lasers.

The paper reported that Pioneer uses the beam to write data holes in a master disk, each separated by 70 nanometres.

That gives a data rate 20 times more than the blue laser Blue-ray disk. While there are technical problems creating data cavities so small, Pioneer has, apparently, solved problems associated with scattering of the laser by developing a carbon mask using photosensitive resin. ?

View: >Full Story Source: >The Inquirer

Its neat that they can do that, but I can't even imagine why you would need that much space.

584884695[/snapback]

with hard drives getting bigger, you can back up more of your stuff. there are a few people on this forum that have total storage that reaches 500GB and beyond. I'm sure something like this would alleviate their anxiety of backing up so much data. It's a matter of using 106 4.7GB burnt DVDs vs 1 500GB burnt DVD discs.

I wonder how long it takes to burn that much data :huh:

JC those disks are going to cost like $100 a piece at least... not to mention like $500+ for the drive when it first comes out (in like 2008 im sure) :p

JC those disks are going to cost like $100 a piece at least... not to mention like $500+ for the drive when it first comes out (in like 2008 im sure) :p

584884783[/snapback]

I'd say it's worth it though, that is if you really want a single disc that holds 500GB instead of 100+ regular DVD discs. What would be awesome with these 500GB discs is that you could have a whole series (perhaps at even HDTV res) on one disc :D

I'd say it's worth it though, that is if you really want a single disc that holds 500GB instead of 100+ regular DVD discs.  What would be awesome with these 500GB discs is that you could have a whole series (perhaps at even HDTV res) on one disc  :D

584884863[/snapback]

what about questions regarding durability? I'd be ****ed if my collection of movies on a single 500GB disc goes bad after two years or so...

I'd say it's worth it though, that is if you really want a single disc that holds 500GB instead of 100+ regular DVD discs

584884863[/snapback]

heck ya...

imagine backing up 500GB of data using DVDs only and your computer is beeping at you "Please insert disk number 58"... beep.... "WAKE UP FOO!"... beep! :moon:

Its neat that they can do that, but I can't even imagine why you would need that much space.

584884695[/snapback]

Well for one, video. Video files uncompressed are massive. I maen 1 hour is probably 100GB +. If you have ever watched a DVD on an HDTV you can see the quality isn't that great. With more space, the compression can be lowered giving us higher quality video. Also we can make teh switch to MPEG 4 and H.264. HD Video. Remember, DVD's are NOT High Definition.

584884695[/snapback]

Well because, everyday that passes, we need more space to store our music, movies, games, images, text files,etc... I have 320GB in my PCDesk and a IOMEGA External disk with 250GB, still i'm reaching the limit... Well, true i have some ilegal files :laugh: , but most of my files are legal...

Anyway it's good that companys are researching new storages ways... :yes:

Well for one, video.  Video files uncompressed are massive.  I maen 1 hour is probably 100GB +.  If you have ever watched a DVD on an HDTV you can see the quality isn't that great.  With more space, the compression can be lowered giving us higher quality video.  Also we can make teh switch to MPEG 4 and H.264.  HD Video.  Remember, DVD's are NOT High Definition.

584888000[/snapback]

Using H.264 (btw, that's MPEG-4 AVC) you don't need a 500GB disc for 1080x1920p72. The law of diminishing returns will kick in way before you can fill that. That's also with lossless audio at 8.1 (24 bit/96 kHz). That fact that you will be getting much less then those specs on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD basically means that movie studios and the end user has no use for it.

At this point and time (and for the next 10+ years) you will not need that kind of space to produce DVD's. Of course, you could load up a 500GB disc with 4+ movies, but that's not what the consumer wants to buy.

Things like this (and HVD's) will only be used for high end data back (Library of Congress type sh**)

GOD NOT ANOTHER WAR FORMAT :angry:

WTF..., we doesn`t have dual-layer yet and it will be dream to switch to the blu-ray and HD :)

Edited by za3zoo3