Apple Displays

Apple seriously needs to reduce the price of their displays.

For example, the Apple 20" Cinema Display vs the Dell 2005FPW.

Apple Display

Brightness (typical) 250 cd/m2

Contrast ratio (typical) 400:1

Response time (typical) 16 ms

$1,299.00

Dell Display

Response Time (typical): 16ms black-to-white

Contrast Ratio: 600:1

Brightness (typical): 300cd/m2

$799.00

The Dell has vastly better specifications, sure it doesn't look as nice asthetically as the Apple but I certainly wouldn't pay $500 for the casing of a monitor. You can also get various rebates and discounts on the Dell, and I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could get it for less than $700.

Why on earth are people still buying Apple displays when they are this overpriced?

Why on earth are people still buying Apple displays when they are this overpriced?

584999313[/snapback]

Because usually people who buy Apple stuff aren't interested in the price. It's a completely different target market.

Because usually people who buy Apple stuff aren't interested in the price.  It's a completely different target market.

584999661[/snapback]

When looking through at this price situation with apple products, it seem so that Apple would rather look at Place, Product, Promotion and Packaging in relation to the marketing mix. Price isn't an aspect of the way Apple are trying to bring their products to the market. They are always aiming to be providing the best high quality product.

These prices are from 6 months ago thou - Apple doesn't update its pricing until theres an update of some sort.

584999750[/snapback]

It took them 18 months last time to update their monitors. Are they going to do the same this time aswell?

This is insanity that Apple gets away with this theft - this is technically a much better monitor - it has picture in picture support with VGA, DVI and SVideo all at the time!

I don't know about you, but the monitor is what I look at, not the damn display itself.

It took them 18 months last time to update their monitors. Are they going to do the same this time aswell?

This is insanity that Apple gets away with this theft - this is technically a much better monitor - it has picture in picture support with VGA, DVI and SVideo all at the time!

I don't know about you, but the monitor is what I look at, not the damn display itself.

584999793[/snapback]

Look, go use an Apple monitor, and then go use that Dell monitor you seem to want so bad. ;) There's a big difference. Cheap black plastic versus beautiful aluminum or w/e.

Look, go use an Apple monitor, and then go use that Dell monitor you seem to want so bad.  ;) There's a big difference. Cheap black plastic versus beautiful aluminum or w/e.

584999922[/snapback]

I'm just confused how people can persuade themselves that the 'beautiful aluminum' is worth $600.

yes the apple display looks good, but the dell also looks good. Yes i have seen them both and i like them both. If you have the extra money you should probably go for the apple, but if you dont the dell is just as great.

yea i dont care about the dell specs, the dell monitor is ugly. i mean really it is and it is a dell for goodness sakes. i wouldnt have that in my home if my life depended on it.

well most of the people here are apple people. i have both an apple and a pc and im on the apple right now. but yes the apple display is very nice. but the dell isnt really "ugly". its just not as pretty as the apple.

Absolutley insane.. now I know why Apple gets away with this daylight robbery.

You guys understand that you could buy 2 Dells nearly for the same price as one Apple monitor?

Apple's "Cinema Displays" are just re-branded LG panels. They're rather poor quality and hugely overpriced. The new brushed aluminum models look nice, but I think my HP 23" panel looks nicer.

Of course, the aesthetics depend greatly on where it's going to go. Mine has a kind of black and gun-metal/silver finish that goes well with my black desk and computer case, and Klipsch ProMedia Ultras. And the monitor itself has almost exactly the same look as my Toshiba M200 which sits next to it.

I did a comparison a week ago, and the 2005FPW is one hell of a monitor. As mentioned in the first post, it beats the 20" Apple Display at every single spec, and costs significantly less. Plus, if you're lucky, you can get the 25% off coupon from the Dellf promotion, and get the 2005FPW for ~$550, as compared to the ACD for $1,299.

What do you get extra with the Apple Display? An aluminium casing, two Firewire ports, and an Apple logo - the only real tangible advantage is the Firewire hub. Nobody in their right state of mind should be spending $500 extra (or $750 if you factor in the discount) for two Firewire ports. Just put the brandname-loyalty aside for a minute and think about it - for the price difference you could get a whole new computer to go with the display.

The "better quality" argument is just a cover up, especially when, as threedaysdwn pointed out, the Apple displays are just re-branded LG's. Guess what - the new 2005FPW is a re-branded LG too.

The "looks" argument is not only ridiculous (you really need to learn the value of money if you're willing to throw away $500 on aesthetics), but also largely subjective. The 2001FP and the 2005FPW are far from ugly, in my opinion. The Apple Displays look elegant and unique, no doubt, but the Dells are just simple and professional (think IBM notebook design).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I see a clear winner here. ;)

Edited by NetRyder

NEWSFLASH!

APPLE PRODUCTS COST A BIT MORE THAN OTHER BRANDS

In other news, water found to be wet, sky found to be blue

Guess what guys, with their 20/23/30" displays, Apple isn't targeting consumers, aka you people. The displays are aimed at movie studios, graphic labs, schools w/ media programs, and any other business that needs a big amount of desktop space (and probably already has a contract with apple)

Jesus Christ, I love how you people come in here and bitch about how Apple NEEDS to lower their prices or they are teh d00med!1!! Apple's been doing this for 20 years now guys, I think they know what they're doing.

A bit more? Twice the price for the _exact_ same product isn't what I call 'a bit more'.

The fact of the matter is that Apple is either going to just become the 'iPod company' if they keep playing silly games like this.

Most newspapers used to be very Apple places, you couldn't move for Macs. Now its usually Dell computers running Windows XP.

They have also been shedding marketshare year after year for the last 10 years or so, so unless they want to become totally insignificant then they will have to sharpen their act up a bit.

They have also been shedding marketshare year after year for the last 10 years or so, so unless they want to become totally insignificant then they will have to sharpen their act up a bit.

You got some figures on that?