Flashing blue screen before LogIn

There is a blue flashing screen (>1sec) before logon and when user-switching

(I don?t mean a bluescreen error).

I?d like to change the color (to black), I?ve read two topic:whistle:le: in this forum from users with the same wish, no follow-ups, maybe today?

your probably going to have to change the windows default visual style in the registry to a visual style with a black desktop background color to make that window black since windows loads luna by default at startup thats where its getting the color from also you will notice that scrollbars in the logon screen come from luna too so if you want the scrollbars in the logon screen to match your custom logon and it happens to match your visual style you can change the default visual style to the one you like so the scrollbars match the logon .. there may also be some default sysmetric colors in the registry that you could change to get the window black but im not sure.

Well, I?ve searched the web for hours:sleep:: and found another few posts, there was an reply like: (but I guess it?s rather impossible to change)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to this key in the Registry -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager

Double-click on 'DllName' in the right-hand pane and change the value to your chosen visual style in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes ....

After doing that, go to this key in the Registry -

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager

Change the same 'DllName' value to your chosen visual style as show before but also double-click & change 'ColorName' to the sub-style you are using e.g. 'Homestead' for Luna Olive or 'NormalColor' for a visual style's default theme ....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but the trick didn?t work.

I?ve read and noticed, that if the style is in windows classic mode, after you?ve logged out, windows is switching to newer optic (and show the blue screen even with "olive" or "silver" activated). I?ve found a few entries for luna in the reg (*.msstyles,*.theme), but don?t know by what to replace it?

• 2 years later...

Well, I?d like to change it to a simple color. But because this screen is the same on all LogonSkins, it must be a value that can?t be changed with Logonui.exe editors.

Right now I?am trying to hack the logonui.exe an HEX-editor. Allready found some values (in reverse order) but didn?t work yet (hold on, didn?t reboot...)

Edit: No Succes. Rebooting isn?t neccesary anyway, i guess.

There are a huge number of RGB Values which could match!

5A 7E DC, 5A 7F DC, all slightly different.

Edit: It would be great if I could get some ideas. i tried:

- Searched the Logonui.exe for the 3bytes, found many ones, turned them to Zero,

It?s still possible it?s in there but I can?t find them, better said, i don?t know exactly

what to look for. That?s the bad thing! Must be around RGB 75 105 195. maybe slighly darker.

- Searched the whole sys32 for the Hex-String.

- Looked in the ASCII part of Logonui.exe.

- Searched The Reg.

- Installed several custumize tools, just to know if the can handle.

- Plus several Tweakers (that change the background IN the login phase).

- Another Idea: It?s in the .msconfig file - Looked it through ...

...But if i press Win+L it still flashes. It?s like the last piece for my OS; and it?s well hidden.

Hello! Unfortunately, the Background Color DURING the Login isn?t the problem. It?s all fine yet.

The problem, for me, is after the login process, right before the mousepointer appears, and when Fast User Switching (Right after pressing Win+L, Right before the UserAcounts appear) there is a short appearence of a

Blue Screen (+-0.5s). Seems to be a Fx to make the default loginscreen in XP appear more smoothly.

I tried also to put all RGB values to Zero in the LogonUi.exe, to check out if it has something to do with

this File. My Opinion is: Either there is a hidden RGB value anywhere or this feature is somewhere coded and part of an executable. But anyway, many Thanks for replying! Have a nice day.

Have you tried my suggestion?

Also, what color do you have set in Display Properties? Because usually this color is the one that's behind you wallpaper (so if you choose none as a wallpaper you will see this color).

post-143134-1167668280.jpg

Yes, I turned all values to zero in the uifile in logonui.exe and both settings in the apperance dialog (the one you mentioned and the on in the advanced dialog) are set.

I turned on FileMonitor and did a fast user switch to check out which files/dll are used. Working...

I think this isn?t a problem with an incorrect config. I tried a lot. I guess something has to be hacked.

If even possible. I spent 1 1/2 days on it. I hope anyone has any tips. Bye!

• 1 year later...

One year on from last post...

has anyone got any ideas about this problem? I mean anyone who customizes their logon screen to a color other than blue must get it. It's sooooooo annoying!

Anyway thanks oliver for trying all those ideas out and posting back your results, saved me a few extra hours of grief.

• 6 months later...

this was one of the most annoying little thing in xp that annoys me a long time. but finally i did the hack. basically it is a quite simple hack. you only have to modify one single number to eliminate that blue flash forever.

requires a disassembler and a hexeditor.

load logonui.exe into a disassembler, then search for CreateSolidBrush . you will see this:

n6q2hw.png

see that 74(15)? thats the problem. you have to change that number to 75(15) in hexeditor. when you select (green line in my disassembler) that line (7415) in a disassembler, you will see (in example in the status bar) what offset you need to search for in hexeditor. in my case it was at offset 771f but that number depends on what's your dll version or dll language.

done. no more blue flash when you lock the computer or when logging on/off.

for those who are not familiar with disassembling things. :)

here is the hexcode snippet where you have to change that 74: FF15F41000018BF085F67415568D45

search for it in hexeditor and change it. if you can't find this code snippet, try search for this: F085F67415568D. if you still can't find it, well, it seems you will have to use a disassembler first to determine the correct code.

• 2 weeks later...

hacker's disassembler (freeware): http://hdasm.narod.ru/

cygnus hexeditor (freeware): http://www.softcircuits.com/cygnus/fe/

+ sometimes hexplorer (freeware): https://sourceforge.net/projects/hexplorer

but on the picture above i used w32dasm as disassembler but that's shareware: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/WDAS...nload-1821.html

Edited by dis

hacker's disassembler (freeware): http://hdasm.narod.ru/

cygnus hexeditor (freeware): http://www.softcircuits.com/cygnus/fe/

+ sometimes hexplorer (freeware): https://sourceforge.net/projects/hexplorer

but on the picture above i used w32dasm as disassembler but that's shareware: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/WDAS...nload-1821.html

Dear Dis thank U for telln me and I hav modified my loginui and its not flashing the blue screen any more thank u very much and thanks for telln us what to modify.

• 4 weeks later...

hey dis i really would like to get rid of this blue flash as well.

i got hackers disassembler and cygnus. in disassembler i have the same line as you:

010087E9: 7415 je 01008800 (then theres actually an arrow pointing down at the end of this row)

and in cygnus i searched for the hex you said to search for, and at the end it shows

.........t.V.E.P

so what do i do in cygnus to get rid of the blue flash? Thanks in advance!

hey dis i really would like to get rid of this blue flash as well.

i got hackers disassembler and cygnus. in disassembler i have the same line as you:

010087E9: 7415 je 01008800 (then theres actually an arrow pointing down at the end of this row)

and in cygnus i searched for the hex you said to search for, and at the end it shows

.........t.V.E.P

so what do i do in cygnus to get rid of the blue flash? Thanks in advance!

just change the 74 to 75.

t.V.E.P ---> u.V.E.P

(then save the logonui.exe, replace the file)

btw, here is a logonui version i made. this one doesn't have that blue flash.

http://des.virtualplastic.net/downloads/logonui_eng.zip

just reshack this to your likings (by changing bitmaps, uifiles) and you will have a logonui with your design and without the blue flash. :)

Edited by dis

• 5 weeks later...
just change the 74 to 75.

t.V.E.P ---> u.V.E.P

(then save the logonui.exe, replace the file)

OMG!

Dis you are a god damn legend!!!!!

thank you so much for solving this problem, it has been driving me nuts for years....

i registered here at the forums just to say THANK YOU!

seriously you deserve a medal or something. absolute champion!

:woot:

• 1 month later...

Nice work dis , i love you ! You are the best !

If somebody cannot find the string "FF15F41000018BF085F67415568D45" , because i couldn't too ,

just try to search for t.V. { hex code : 74 15 56 8D }, it will be enough .

And then replace/change the " t " with " u " , save it , then reshack it , resedit it , a.s.o. !!! Happy windows now ;-)

I have made 2 screenshots one for Cygnus , one for Hex Workshop ( just in case ).

cygnushexby7.png

w678.png

hexworkshopbm9.png

w531.png

Hope , will find it usefull .

Ciao .

screenshots.zip