'BitTorrent' Gives Hollywood a Headache

BitTorrent is more of a threat because it is probably the latest and best technological tool for transferring large files like movies," said John Malcolm, senior vice president of anti-piracy operations for the Motion Picture Association of America. "It is unusual, perhaps unique, in that the moment you start downloading you are also uploading," he added. "It's what makes it so efficient."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=319403

Right, one problem with that tho. It's like saying, "Hey, I can go buy a gun, kill someone, and the gun manufacturer will take the heat." Probably not going to hold up. You know what you're doing, and you know what you're doing is wrong/has consecuences. Well, I do, but I still use it. :)

Well all hollywood is spitting out is crap these days, especially all these so-called "action" movies

The last film i seen was the Motorcycle Diaries, damn that was a good film. I dont mind spending money on a film, actually i prefer that i go to the theatre im not gonna spend everysingle fricking moment in front of my pc. its jsut that if they made actual good movies then there wouldnt be as much file sharing going on

just my two pennies :/

ok bit torrent is one thing, but what can they do to stop dc++ for example? are they just going to make all ISPs to have people monitoring people downloading any thing more than 600 mb?

Piracy will always exist.

True, the problem is now it's second nature to most. Clicking on a link and allowing something that is copyrighted does not seem like pirating to a lot of people. With it being so easy to do, that's the main problem. Im sure everyone at the MPAA will tell you it will always be there, but it's supposed to be an "underground". Websites offering links to such pirated content via a torrent is not "underground", it's now mainstream. This is the problem the RIAA sees too. Websites/services/programs getting millions of downloads a day is far from the amount of piracy that should be existing.

my ISP is right now limitting bandwidth on the bit torrent ports, when you switch to a non standard port it goes back up to normal ports

its happening in vancouver and not here, but im reading about my ISP doing it there cause of the heavy loads

What I ment by goto the makers/authors is kill the program.

Its like Radar Detectors in the UK (not sure if the law is still the same)

But your allowed to use them (as you are with Bit Torrent clients and torrents) but if your caught using the radar detector to avoid Police radar guns while speeding you'll be fined.

So... yeh, Getting the end users will stop some, but if the program is out there it will be used and come on... Who uses it to transfer LEGAL files? We have networks for that.

ok bit torrent is one thing, but what can they do to stop dc++ for example? are they just going to make all ISPs to have people monitoring people downloading any thing more than 600 mb?

585079956[/snapback]

Only a matter of time before that suggestion, or something like it, comes up for serious legal debate.

I think at some point, the "unlimited access" model may wind up becoming a subjective term. (Like "Freedom" and "Privacy") Flat price rates for "unlimited" broadband access could be curtailed more than they are now. We'll start to see additional charges levied against the heavy bandwidth hogs start to become more commonplace, right along with the MPAA and RI AA demanding a piece of the action.

:|

Soon, there will be no point in ADSL/DSL/Cable connections because you wont be able to download anything.

585080079[/snapback]

Sure you will. So long as your own PC gives you permission to do so. We're heading in that direction folks... PCs will be operating us if we're not careful.

Who uses it to transfer LEGAL files? We have networks for that.

Linux for starters. Bittorrent is also a good free way to send large files to friends when setting up a personal server won't work because everyone is behind a NAT router. You don't have to mess with hosting and you have total control over the content. It will run as fast as you can upload.

On another front, I don't completely blame the hollywood people. The theatre owners suck also. They charge $10 to $20 for tickets, $10 for a small popcorn and $5 bucks for a little coke. In return for your money, you get rules specifically designed to limit how much fun you can really have. You can't carry anything in with you, they don't serve beer, and of course, no smoking allowed either. They will throw you out for that, but people can carry screaming babies and ringing cell phones in all they want. And then there are the evil, wicked people who drop off their 10 year old hyperactive kids at the movies while they do their shopping. That should be illegal even for G rated movies.

I've added all these inconvienences up and decided that I'd rather download the movie, legal or not.

Sorry for the rant, I feel better now :).

What I ment by goto the makers/authors is kill the program.

Its like Radar Detectors in the UK (not sure if the law is still the same)

But your allowed to use them (as you are with Bit Torrent clients and torrents) but if your caught using the radar detector to avoid Police radar guns while speeding you'll be fined.

So... yeh, Getting the end users will stop some, but if the program is out there it will be used and come on... Who uses it to transfer LEGAL files? We have networks for that.

585080016[/snapback]

How are they going to kill it if its not illegal though, thats the same as going to the gun manufacturers and getting them to stop producing guns.

Piracy will always exist. When someone comes up with a better piece of armour someone else will come up with a better bullet. End of Story.

585079946[/snapback]

Damn, that's awesomely well said! (Y) :yes:

And about Hollywood, I don't really care. Everybody there is a millionair as far as I know. What the heck are they complaining about? It's just another typical thing.... they've got a lot of money, they smelled it, and now they only want more. :no:

Just my thoughts....

classical reason: authors can't be held resonsible for illicit/illegal use of their product :)

585079923[/snapback]

Beh, people will always be one step ahead of the corporations. I like the -12 posts thing iShakeel, it threw me for a loop.