OSX Tiger... Your thoughts

You can actually, you just need to make an image of the disk, take a file out, and then reburn the image. I have the panther up to date discs and thats what I did so I don't have to keep wasting my time with 10.2.

585230500[/snapback]

Wow, I never knew that. It's a little trouble, but that makes it infinitely easier for my uses.

ADC members, including students get it

Please include the line below in follow-up emails for this request.

Follow-up:  6750582

Re: Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger GM

Hello Garrett,

Thank you for contacting the Apple Developer Connection regarding Mac OS X v10.4

Tiger GM.

I can confirm that if your Student membership is active when Tiger ships, you

will receive a copy in your monthly developer mailing.

I hope you find this information useful. Please do not hesitate to contact us

again should you have any further problems or queries.

Best regards,

David Nicol

Apple Developer Connection

nice...., just signed up for student adc membership.

:p

$99 = ?52

585242500[/snapback]

I didn't realise it was open to non US students:blink::

A developer cd every quarter or every month, and Panther. I assume if you sign up after Tiger is released, you'd get Tiger in place of Panther. There's a t-shirt in there as well. Can't remember the rest of the list

I didn't realise it was open to non US students :blink:

585243876[/snapback]

aye dazzla, need to fax my student id and other stuff to edinburgh to get my student status confirmed.

p

I know this may seem a bit stupid BUT if your not a developer is this worth getting?

585246065[/snapback]

Well, the hardware discount and the fun you get to have by playing with beta software seems well worth it. :p

aye dazzla, need to fax my student id and other stuff to edinburgh to get my student status confirmed.

p

585244947[/snapback]

So basically you did sign up on the US sites, and they've contacted you, asking for id? After that you'll get all the stuffs? 'Cos i'll be very interested in that as well....

Please, give us all the info you can....

So basically you did sign up on the US sites, and they've contacted you, asking for id? After that you'll get all the stuffs? 'Cos i'll be very interested in that as well....

Please, give us all the info you can....

585248241[/snapback]

Yer they contact you with a list of fax numbers, you have to send your info to the one for your region. The one for your europe is an Edinburgh number.

nice wee national call from Glasgow to Edinburgh, bingo they have my info.

P

Heeey... when is the earliest time that Apple will start giving out free Tiger upgrades for whose who purchase a new Mac computer w/ Panther pre-installed on it shortly before Tiger is released?

B/c then maybe I could get an iBook w/ iLife '05 and iWork ('05?) or whatever.... but with Panther, then upgrade to Tiger later with the free upgrade (minus shipping costs of the CD, perhaps? :p)? . . .

Heeey... when is the earliest time that Apple will start giving out free Tiger upgrades for whose who purchase a new Mac computer w/ Panther pre-installed on it shortly before Tiger is released?

B/c then maybe I could get an iBook w/ iLife '05 and iWork ('05?) or whatever.... but with Panther, then upgrade to Tiger later with the free upgrade (minus shipping costs of the CD, perhaps? :p)? . . .

585259674[/snapback]

It's usually after they announce a firm release date for the new OS. So if, for instance, Steve Jobs was to say this week at the Expo that Tiger will start shipping on Feb 1st, anyone who buys a new Mac after his announcement will be eligible for the upgrade, usually for only the cost of media and shipping.

Very, very nice! Thanks!. :D

So, is it possible/probably/likely that Apple will start shipping its Macs with the new iLife and iWork software before Tiger comes out? (And also after Tiger comes out, of course).... Thanks. :p

do the people in the devoloper connection get a free copy also?

and you can't just upgrade your OS like you can in windows? That is stupid

585225626[/snapback]

This is completely and blatantly misinformed and untrue. I have never "upgraded" my PowerMac by using just the upgrade, where the new version installs over the previous version. However this is not usually disaterous as it is on Windows. I always wipe my drive clean using a tool called SuperScrubber, then install the OS again. I have a full version of Panther. I haven't used Jaguar since I bought Panther a year ago, and I've re-installed about 3 times since then. I usually wipe everything every six months, and reinstall clean. I had to re-sintall once because I screwed up the files system by accident. So, yes you can wipe the drive clean and do a clean install of OS X when ever you want. You can also do this using the disk utility that is part of the OS X installation process, or use a separate tool like I do.

k

So out of curiosity (I ask many questions :D)... how would you go about getting the upgrade? I'd assume that either (a.) when you get the Mac, there is some slip in there saying you can get a free upgrade (well, pay shipping) to Tiger and how to get it, (b.) it'll say so somewhere on the Apple's website, or (c.) both a. and b.

Cya.

k

So out of curiosity (I ask many questions :D)... how would you go about getting the upgrade? I'd assume that either (a.) when you get the Mac, there is some slip in there saying you can get a free upgrade (well, pay shipping) to Tiger and how to get it, (b.) it'll say so somewhere on the Apple's website, or (c.) both a. and b.

Cya.

585261992[/snapback]

It's both A and B. The system comes with a voucher and a number that you use online to order your $20 upgrade.

So if you have a Mac already you only have to pay for the upgrade? I do have the student discount though. I do have those slips with me, just have to look for them.