Apple reports 525% iPod growth and 26% Mac growth

CUPERTINO, California?January 12, 2005?Apple? today announced financial results for its fiscal 2005 first quarter ended December 25, 2004. For the quarter, the Company posted a net profit of $295 million, or $.70 per diluted share. These results compare to a net profit of $63 million, or $.17 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Revenue for the quarter was $3.49 billion, up 74 percent from the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 28.5 percent, up from 26.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 41 percent of the quarter?s revenue.

Apple shipped 1,046,000 Macintosh? units and 4,580,000 iPods during the quarter, representing a 26 percent increase in CPU units and a 525 percent increase in iPods over the year-ago quarter.

?We are thrilled to report the highest quarterly revenue and net income in Apple?s history,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. ?We?ve sold over 10 million iPods to date and are kicking off the new year with a slate of innovative new products including iPod shuffle, Mac mini and iLife ?05.?

?We?re pleased to report 74 percent revenue growth, 26 percent Mac unit growth and 525 percent iPod unit growth,? said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple?s CFO. ?Looking ahead to the second quarter of fiscal 2005, we expect revenue of about $2.9 billion and earnings per diluted share of about $.40.?

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q1 2005 financial results conference call utilizing QuickTime?, Apple?s standards-based technology for live and on-demand audio and video streaming. The live webcast will begin at 2:00 p.m. PST on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq105/ and will also be available for replay. The QuickTime player is available free for Macintosh and Windows users at www.apple.com/quicktime.

Source: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jan/12results.html

C:|p, that's a lot of iPods and Macs :|

1000 a month?  thats... bad LOL im almost positive microsoft sells 1000 every 2 days :p

585282151[/snapback]

Last time i checked MS didn't make computers, you are aware that selling machines ranging from $800-$4000 is a bit different to an OS made for the x86 platform with the majority of sales being corporate and OEM costing about $60 per copy.

1000 a month?  thats... bad LOL im almost positive microsoft sells 1000 every 2 days :p

585282151[/snapback]

Are you reading the PDF? Those are thousands of units and for the quarter. So, 1000 translates to 1,000,000 per quarter. I don't think they sold only 4,580 iPods a month....

Time to buy apple's stock... http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

I find it strange that apple's stock went down during the keynote.. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL&t=5d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

I mean the keynote did show things that were promised and showed before (some) but they did introduced 2 new products.

585282152[/snapback]

I (well my parents) bought Apple stocks about 6 month ago....at the time it was about....$16 a share?...and now it have climed.....what?....at least $50 a share?....LOL!!

that's a good investment....not anymore....(cause the price is so high)...but if we sell them now, we'll be going on to vacations around the world.... :laugh: :laugh:

Apple's profit will grow again over the next few years...following the launch of new iPod marketing campaign "Life Is Random" as well as Mac Mini. The only thing I like about Apple is the iPod...simply as that :)

One area i can see Apple growing is the small office right up to enterprise, they are already getting high marks for their server and storage products with companies such as Oracle and Cisco not only developing their products for Mac but using products like XSan and Xserve RAID themselves, but Apple have failed to produce a client system that does the job for the right price, for instance last year when AT&T announced that they were looking into replacing 70,000+ machines with something NOT running Windows i thought that Linux would have it in the bag, but with the Mac Mini i'm not to sure now.

I hope they will still focus on developing Macs...

585282534[/snapback]

The mac mini is a clear sign that they want to reverse those numbers :)

wow, but i think it's all advertising (for the ipod) as the iriver seems a lot better in my eyes, (haven't tried either, just feature-wise)

585282485[/snapback]

Hey whatever floats your boat. Some people look at easy of use over how many features a product has. I'd suggest finding some place that you can try them in person before you buy one or the other.

For me, as a mac user, my choice has to be another iPod simply because MS refuses to update their WMP for mac to support the WMA based stores. MS is missing out on a big market of mac users and people who either use macs at home and PCs at work (like me) or people who have a PC at home and a mac at work. Most of those people choose iPods because of cross compatibility and the UI.

Same as how AAC support seems to be so limited on PC's. It's really a shame every company feels the need to create their own format.

Microsoft- WMA

Sony- ATRAC

Apple- AAC

etc.