Resident Evil 4

This is a different thread then the review thread. I am asking whoever bought the game, what do you think of it so far? And be considerate and don't reveal spoilers!

For myself, I think one word can sum it up and it is "wow". Playing 10 mins in the demo in GameStop did not do justice. I finally was able to pick up my copy tonight and I have been playing it for like 3 hours straight and I am going back for more soon. All I have to say is that Nintendo (in combination with Capcom) is still the king of games no matter what anyone says. If you have a Cube and a PS2, don't wait for the PS2 version, you can tell this game was made for the Cube. I think they are going to have to water down the PS2 version to handle this game. I was about to hold out and get it for the PS2, but I am seriously glad I didn't. Nintendo definitely knew what it was doing when it had signed that deal with Capcom.

First the game looks incredible. I thought it looked a little blah at first, but boy was I wrong. You can tell that the game sucks up all the power that the Cube can handle. If you though the remake of RE1 or RE:Z for the Cube looked good this puts them to shame. This looks better then any survival horror game then the XBox or PS2 has put out including my favorite Silent Hill series. Everything in the game is perfect except the lack of straffing, which reviews have mentioned. Everything is great about it, the music, cutscenes, voice acting, story, etc. And the other thing is that this game is freaking hard. Three hours into the game and I must have died like 5+ times. The swarms of people are rediculous and they stab you with anything that is pointy. I think that is all I am going to say because everything else would be a spoiler. All I have to say is that this seriously was a suprising game that has come out of nowhere. I thought it would be good from the previews, movies, and screenshots, but not this good. Alright time to go back and play.

Edited by jmole

The AI is too damn smart in this game. I ran into a house and shut the front door. I then climbed up a ladder to a loft, kicking over the ladder when I got to the top. I could hear the villagers outside yelling in Spanish and then before I knew it they used their weapons to break through the door and some even broke and climbed through the windows. As I was trying to kill all of them they freaking raised the ladder again and started to climb up. Too many villagers to fight all at once, the AI is insane. I am on normal mode, I can only imagine what it is like on hard.

Edited by jmole

I finally just stopped playing, but I noticed something weird. The game box says "Only for Nintendo GameCube" in the corner like it does for its exclusive games. When you load the game it says "Liscensed By Nintendo". I wonder if the game was already made and packaged before the PS2 announcement....

I finally just stopped playing, but I noticed something weird.  The game box says "Only for Nintendo GameCube" in the corner like it does for its exclusive games.  When you load the game it says "Liscensed By Nintendo".  I wonder if the game was already made and packaged before the PS2 announcement....

585284277[/snapback]

anyway the PS2 version dosnt come out till winter... so well i suppose is exclusive... for some time :)

Its one of the best things to ever come to the gamecube, seriously. Its got insane graphics, awesome gameplay, and overall better controls than the other games.

Ive put 8 hours into the game, and Ive loved every minute, and im not even on the second cd yet. Im not sure how close i am, but I think the game would be completely worth the buy. Even if you have to get a cube to play it.

This game is one of the greatest games I've ever played. No joke, it's that good. The graphics are gorgeous, so much so that people walking by my dorm room were asking me if it was a pre-rendered cinema or if I was actually playing. It's definitely more polished than the demo, incorporating both graphical updates and control updates. The level of interactivity with the environment is amazing. You can shove bookshelves in front of doors, leap out windows, kick down ladders, and so much more. Voice acting is, unsurprisingly, not the greatest, but I think it suits a Resident Evil game just fine.

The new over-the-shoulder camera is amazing. It really makes for a different, and incredibly better, playing experience. There are still a couple of camera quirks here and there, but by and large, you couldn't ask for anything better.

Character design is great as well. Both human and non-human characters have distinct characteristics and you can really feel the creativity of Capcom's designers radiating off of them.

Personally, I'm around 8 1/2 hours into the game, and I'm pretty sure I've still got a little ways to go. All I know is the second I'm off work this evening, I'm gonna go back to RE and kick some major ass. :)

My score?

10/10

I finally just stopped playing, but I noticed something weird.  The game box says "Only for Nintendo GameCube" in the corner like it does for its exclusive games.  When you load the game it says "Liscensed By Nintendo".  I wonder if the game was already made and packaged before the PS2 announcement....

585284277[/snapback]

Well, (I think) since the PS2 version isn't out until later this year, it is exclusive to Nintendo atm, so they are allowed to say that. I think I had heard that the XBOX did the same thing with some other games.

I think they should put R.E 4 on PS2 and not just on Gamecube.  Overall I love the game.

585286638[/snapback]

Dude, it's also coming to PS2 at the end of the year. It's not GCN exclusive anymore (sadly for me ;) )

Man, it will probably look kinda crappy on the PS2. It looks so incredible :o

585292369[/snapback]

Man you need to be beaten with a bat. Im sure it will look just fine on the PS2 as on the GC.

You tell'em Sedriss. :) Oh yeah, Ripgut. In my last post you thought I was insulting my fellow Members that they couldn't read. I'm just being specific about the things I say in my posts.

BTW, pick your face up off the keyboard. :D

The AI is too damn smart in this game.  I ran into a house and shut the front door. I then climbed up a ladder to a loft, kicking over the ladder when I got to the top.  I could hear the villagers outside yelling in Spanish and then before I knew it they used their weapons to break through the door and some even broke and climbed through the windows.  As I was trying to kill all of them they freaking raised the ladder again and started to climb up.  Too many villagers to fight all at once, the AI is insane.  I am on normal mode, I can only imagine what it is like on hard.

585284141[/snapback]

Holy crap. Now I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. That's nuts.

Dunno , i think the PS2 is much less powerfull then the GC

585293372[/snapback]

Well, not much. But yes there is less power there.

The PS2's strength is also it's weakness. It's got a very powerful CPU paired with a weak GPU. Which means advanced graphical effects must be done in software, problem is this means more and more difficult programming for game developers to do something that's easy on GameCube or Xbox.

The question is how much effort will Capcom expend on a port (keep in mind, the original team won't be porting it either, they'll give it to someone else). If they put as much effort in as they would for a PS2 exclusive it should look and play almost as well as the Cube version, any less and it'll be easy to tell it's the inferior of the two.