Why Fahrenheit?

As someone who has lived all their life in countries where the metric system "rules OK", I'm wondering why there are still a few countries, like USA, using the old Imperial system - especially when it comes to measuring temperatures...

I did some research into the history of the Fahrenheit scale, and apparently it was a joint development by a German guy and a Dutch guy in the 18th century. Fair enough, so far, but where it starts to get out of hand is how they decided on what 0 degrees Fahrenehit should be (an important part of the process, right?). This is what I've uncovered, and I quote:

"... zero was totally arbitrary, the main consideration apparently being that it should be colder than it ever got in Denmark. (Romer didn't like using negative numbers in his weather logbook.)"

:blink:

Hang on, I thought, there must be some logic here. Why else would over 300 million people living in one of the most powerful nations on the planet still be using it? So, I looked into what 100 degrees Fahrenheit means. The closest I got was that 96 degrees was meant to be the temperature of the human body, or at least it used to, a more precise measurement is actually 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Obviously.

:huh:

So, to sum it all up:

"In short, 100 means nothing at all on the Fahrenheit scale, 96 used to mean something but doesn't anymore, and 0 is colder than it ever gets in Denmark. Brilliant."

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why this system still exists at all? Or is it just force of habit...?

-- Jeex

Information from:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit

- http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a891215.html

Or is it just force of habit...?

585326659[/snapback]

that's it. the fahrenheit scale and inches/miles/other imperial measurements are all most americans know and i don't see us switching over any time soon.

it makes my life miserable, since i'm an engineer who's tired of having to convert between the two :p

because to me, 90 sonnds like a hot day, rather then 30, but it is dumb, also the fact that the scale is a lot larger helps too

it good for weather, but i use C for everythign else... excepot cooking too

There was a effort in the 70s to get the US to switch over to the metric system, but it failed miserably. You can't get that many people to want to change... especially when you can give no other reason besides "well, everyone else does it." Heck, think about how inaccurate the current calender everyone uses is... but it is not going to change anytime soon either.

Because in grade school, we used "Measurements for Dummies" as our handbook.

In all our arrogance, do you really feel the U.S. will switch over anytime to the metric system? You've a better chance of us referring to soccer as football. :D

because to me, 90 sonnds like a hot day, rather then 30, but it is dumb, also the fact that the scale is a lot larger helps too

It's all relative - I'm from the UK and I recognise 30 as a very hot day. The Fahrenheit scale means nothing to me as it is not used here.

Actually, while we're on this topic - I find the UK annoying for it's metric/imprerial mix. You have miles instead of kilometres, you have stones instead of kilograms - it's a nightmare. I would much prefer to be entirely metric than in the middle. I doubt we'll change though - it was hard enough getting away from pounds and ounces.

"... zero was totally arbitrary, the main consideration apparently being that it should be colder than it ever got in Denmark. (Romer didn't like using negative numbers in his weather logbook.)"

If people don't like negative numbers, Kelvin is the scale to use, 0 degrees = all molecules cease motion ;)

go metric! i'm glad we use the metric system over here in europe.

Yes! Let's start a pro-Metric and pro-Celsius lobby @ Neowin. :shifty:

@ kjordan2001 : But still you can get negative values of Kelvin units.

is a matter of power, if the US wasn't such a big bully, the standard system have died years ago.

just remember the episode of the Simpsons were the stoncutters sing... :D

As someone who has lived all their life in countries where the metric system "rules OK", I'm wondering why there are still a few countries, like USA, using the old Imperial system - especially when it comes to measuring temperatures...

585326659[/snapback]

I don't think it is a few countries. I think the USA is just about the only country that still uses the British Imperial system (ironically, long after England stopped using it).

The Celcuis/centigrade scale is designed around water. It freezes at zero and it boils at one hundred.

The Imperial system is designed around the human body although we all know that humans vary wildly. Shaq's thumb is likely to be bigger than one inch wide, for example. I suppose my foot is about 12 inches long while I wear shoes but my wife's shoes aren't much good for measuring distance in feet.

Fahrenheit has a more finely graduated scale from freezing (32 degrees) to boiling (212 degrees).  So back in the day before digital thermometers it was more accurate.

585326772[/snapback]

Hardly. If you can tell the difference between 34F and 35F then you can tell the difference between 1.5C and 2C.

there is only one way to make it go away...

force teaching it on kids....over time it will filter out...but teach them the imperial standards for the old devices they may run across....

god knows how many times converting has cost people money because of ****ing it up or forgetting to convert for people that don't use the american system at all...

Hardly.  If you can tell the difference between 34F and 35F then you can tell the difference between 1.5C and 2C.

585326826[/snapback]

It's better to have full degrees rather than fractions of a degree.

well 0 kelvin is where there is no kinetic energy in the molecules and so nothing moves which means you can't get a lower temp

It's better to have full degrees rather than fractions of a degree.

585326871[/snapback]

Why? That's like saying it's best to only deal in full currency units and not to have any cents/pence etc.

Yes! Let's start a pro-Metric and pro-Celsius lobby @ Neowin.  :shifty:

585326748[/snapback]

0k is the stop of all mollecular movement. Thermodynamics is something different if I'm not mistaken. :shifty:

And Metric is a lot more precise! Its used in aviation, science, space, army. And a fraction is a lot better than a whole number. When it comes to temperature. Its more precise!

Feet, Miles, Inches, all had to do with Royality. It had to do with the length of a King's arm, his hand, fingers, etc... and it would change with each king.