[REQ] Separate forum for pay themes

If this trend starts continuing as it looks like it is, then the Completed Visual Styles forum is going to be cluttered with pay themes and free themes. By creating a separate forum for pay themes, you not only clean things up, but you also cut down significantly on the amount of flaming that's been going on in these threads. People who don't want to use pay themes can just simply avoid the pay themes forum rather than accidentally stumble into a thread for a pay theme and going on to rant and rave about things.

The sooner this is done, the better.

-Kyle

I don't think that pay themes are appropriate. Full stop.

585359377[/snapback]

You mean the concept of pay themes, or the posting of pay themes here at Neowin? I partially agree with you on both counts; posting pay themes here could be considered advertising, which, IIRC, is against the TOS. However, I feel that the users who do make pay themes would feel discriminated against (or something), so just creating a separate forum seems like a good compromise.

The idea of paying for a theme I find exclusive. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't themes made possible by a slightly less than legal modification to uxtheme.dll?

I agree with you on the advertising front as well. Keep Neowin free!!! Except for the necessary ads, and Neobay of course.

If this trend starts continuing as it looks like it is, then the Completed Visual Styles forum is going to be cluttered with pay themes and free themes. By creating a separate forum for pay themes, you not only clean things up, but you also cut down significantly on the amount of flaming that's been going on in these threads. People who don't want to use pay themes can just simply avoid the pay themes forum rather than accidentally stumble into a thread for a pay theme and going on to rant and rave about things.

The sooner this is done, the better.

-Kyle

585357260[/snapback]

Sounds good that way I will know not to go there.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bringing up this relatively old thread, but I thought it would be better than creating another one.

New pay-theme was posted at Completed Visual Style section, and I don't think mods should keep it that way.

Completed Visual Style is where community members share their work, it's not a place for advertisement, and I think it's about time something should be done about it.

I don't think making people pay for a theme is bad, but I just don't think it doesn't belong to that section.

Sorry for bringing up this relatively old thread, but I thought it would be better than creating another one.

New pay-theme was posted at Completed Visual Style section, and I don't think mods should keep it that way.

Completed Visual Style is where community members share their work, it's not a place for advertisement, and I think it's about time something should be done about it.

I don't think making people pay for a theme is bad, but I just don't think it doesn't belong to that section.

585542831[/snapback]

I was actually just about to reply to your post in the AeroWin thread to point you to this thread! :laugh:

Yeah, I still think that something needs to be done about this. There are tons of good reasons to do it and no bad ones.

there's just not enough pay themes to warrant a whole seperate forum, IMO.

if a tag is put in the title, and people still only post "pay themes suck", then perhaps we should moderate a little harsher, but thats not up to me.

• 4 weeks later...
The idea of paying for a theme I find exclusive. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't themes made possible by a slightly less than legal modification to uxtheme.dll?

I agree with you on the advertising front as well. Keep Neowin free!!! Except for the necessary ads, and Neobay of course.

585359534[/snapback]

@Chode

Not true, created pay themes can be used by any legal software. TuneUp Utilities 2004, TGT Soft StyleXP and a few others including Windows Blinds. If you are used to hacking your system with illegal uxtheme.dll then it's your problem.

@Community

Let my just clarify something. Pay themes are creative commercial products. Whether they should be advertised or not is solely decided by Neowin policy, however I don't think it's fair to exclude the possibility of posting either in completed styles or in an all new topic group simply because users are constantly showing products that are also commercially available on this forum like software, windows modification utilities etc.

We are talking here, reviewing and what not about various commercial products, so why not visual styles. You don't have to buy it, you don't even have to read the thread, but please stop being jelous of someone that decided to dedicate a lot of time and creativity and try to make something commercial out of it and you are either too lazy, or unable to do it yourself. I'm sure that pay themes have great success, unless they are badly executed.

Let's say someone is building a really nice and fully complete pay theme and they want to post the progress to users for comments, ideas, testing or whatever, this is not marketing, this is improvement and quality assurance. You do it for many other software companies, so why not visual styles.

To conclude, yes, Neowin should allow posting of pay theme samples and sanction those who post "You suck because you are charging for it" comments.

^ Paying for content destroys the sense of community that exists here on Neowin. Is Autopatcher a pay product? Does BangBang charge for his builds of Firefox? Is the UxTheme patcher a commercial program?

You may say it's different, but it is not. For example, I do my best to offer tech support on the Opera browser under Web Browser discussions: What if I decided that my time and trouble was worth money, and charged people for tech support? Or made people pay for my Winamp-Opera mod?

Are maps/mods for games released as commercial packages? Are community made tools for the editing of game resources pay only? Are Firefox extensions commercially available?

How much time you choose to put into a product is your decision, but community made media has very rarely been commercial. It would be unethical for it to be.

Did you write the countless guides which you have referred to in order to learn how to create/edit visual styles? Other community members worked it out, why should you make a buck out of their work?

It's called a community. Making people pay for your participation is unfathomable.

I agree 100% with Chode.

What the difference between advertising payware in neowin and making a thread about a paytheme?

Paythemes don't contribute anything to the community, it's just another form of advertisement or spam, and I don't think mods shouldn't accept them.

edit/ Chode, my previous username is joseph0324 .. -_-;;

Edited by ZZOOzzoo

I agree 100% with Chode.

What the difference between advertising payware in neowin and making a thread about a paytheme?

Paythemes don't contribute anything to the community, it's just another form of advertisement or spam, and I don't think mods shouldn't accept them.

585652165[/snapback]

Did you used to have a different name? I think I recognise you by your status and Diana Ross.....

I used to be into the theme deal, wanted to learn how to make them and then SHARE my creations with people who would like it, or not like it. But I saw that one day people would want to charge for there themes. I forsaw this along time ago. Why? Just because the whole attitude of the community was starting to go to the dogs. Complaints, demands, super high expectations of the best and beginners. Things feel apart, so I decided to uninstall all my themes, put back my orginal uxtheme.dll and say good by to that aspect of computing. It only further saddens me to see pay themes.

Sad.

While this is a good idea, I think selling themes is a voliation of Microsoft as they were the ones who made the msstyles files. Have you even worked out how to created your own themes right from stratch and not use an existing theme to modify it. I believe most people used the Luna theme and modified it to the themes they make and then sell it. That would be a copyright infringement of Microsoft as you are infact selling a modified microsoft system file.

^^^ good point

The thing that gets me is the price $10... comeon, if it was a new idea - okay cool, but there is a liklyhood that a very similar theme was made for free already, so its like why? Lower the price to $5 maybe people will shut up and you might get more buyers, but its just a theme. Window Blinds when you pay for it the themes are free, but its the software that you have to pay for

I think selling themes is a voliation of Microsoft as they were the ones who made the msstyles files. Have you even worked out how to created your own themes right from stratch and not use an existing theme to modify it. I believe most people used the Luna theme and modified it to the themes they make and then sell it. That would be a copyright infringement of Microsoft as you are infact selling a modified microsoft system file.

IMHO this argument is not valid.

If pay themes are disallowed for this reason, then free ones must be disallowed too.

I think having a subforum for pay themes would be a great idea. People who don't like the idea can steer clear.

yeah make a sub forum. that way i can ignore it and not even look at the ****ty pay themes posted here.

585653585[/snapback]

:rofl: agreed!