Job for 13 year old. Computers

Well as crazy as it sounds I'm a computer feek/genius for my age :p

Well I need to make some money to get a decent computer by upgrading.

I know that I can't get a job at the age of 13 in the us.

So I was thinking of start like my own computer thing.

I was thinking of doing some basic stuff

1. reinstall windows

2. upgrade windows

3. Install CDROM Drives, etc...

4. Install PCI Cards.

What steps are needed to be taken in order to put this plan into action. I have a lot of time. Won't do anything much untill the summer

what makes them want to hire you over regular workers? the regular workers probably have more reliability too. the only chance you are going to have is with people you already know. and thats if the people you know all have computer problems. chances are youll fix like 3 - 5 computers over your summer break =P

i got a better idea. think of something creative. make a website geared toward a certain audience (say fellow 13 yr olds) and make it so your service to them is useful enough where they would want to ask their parents to pay for it... now if its successful you could possibly be a selfmade 13 yr old millionare :D

Well as crazy as it sounds I'm a computer feek/genius for my age  :p

1. reinstall windows

2. upgrade windows

4. Install PCI Cards.

What steps are needed to be taken in order to put this plan into action. I have a lot of time. Won't do anything much untill the summer

585363784[/snapback]

A lot of computer shops will not hire a 13 year old.

You need to know a lot more about computers other than reinstalling windows which is REALLY basic.

well you should here some of the stuff people buy the computer store to do. Such as reinstall windows, fix spyware, cd drivers, etc... There are to many regular joes that are chickens

and what do you mean buy

i got a better idea. think of something creative. make a website geared toward a certain audience (say fellow 13 yr olds) and make it so your service to them is useful enough where they would want to ask their parents to pay for it... now if its successful you could possibly be a selfmade 13 yr old millionare biggrin.gif

Make a website geared to 13 year olds to fix computers like I have listed above??????

And I can install linux but I really can't operate though it because my current hardware doesn't support linux. Wireless usb card and printer

A lot of computer shops will not hire a 13 year old.

You need to know a lot more about computers other than reinstalling windows which is REALLY basic.

I'm aware of this. I can put together a whole computer. I can do a good amount of trouble shooting but if something get screwed up like a cpu I won't have money to replace it and then I would be in big ass trouble

It's great to see someone get excited about computers... but don't pat yourself on the back too hard. Why don't you read some tech books and learn new skills that way you can eventually be of some help to someone.

hehe maybe a fake beard would do the trick :p

i was able to do that when i was 15 but no idont think u'll get a job on that maybe u could make a small buisness around ur house to help ppl for a very small fee and gain trust :D then u can try big stuff

hehe maybe a fake beard would do the trick :p

i was able to do that when i was 15 but no idont think u'll get a job on  that maybe u could make a small buisness around ur house to help ppl for a very small fee and gain trust :D then u can try big stuff

585363913[/snapback]

Yep that what I want to do. Do some stuff most average joes won't do and charge a small price that a lot cheaper then a comptuer store.

Well as crazy as it sounds I'm a computer feek/genius for my age  :p

1. reinstall windows

2. upgrade windows

4. Install PCI Cards.

585363784[/snapback]

how are you a genius exactly?

coder? linux guru? database master? networking wizard?

well you should here some of the stuff people buy the computer store to do. Such as reinstall windows, fix spyware, cd drivers, etc... There are to many regular joes that are chickens

and what do you mean buy

Make a website geared to 13 year olds to fix computers like I have listed above??????

And I can install linux but I really can't operate though it because my current hardware doesn't support linux. Wireless usb card and printer

585363903[/snapback]

Dude, do you even know how the internet works?

Do you know, a lot about high performance parts and systems such as RAID SCSI and SATA?

Do you know any thing about high performance grfx?

Do you know any thing about virus removal and data protection/forensics?

Do you know any thing about hardware troubleshooting, testing, configuration and management?

Do You know any thing about networking? And advanced network such as layered networking using BGP at router borders?

Do you know, any thing about constructing a computer?

If you know most of that and more, then you can be hired by a " computer store "

But i doubt that you know all of that.

Good luck anyway.

how are you a genius exactly?

coder? linux guru? database master? networking wizard?

585363924[/snapback]

Well for my age I know a lot. I could setup a server. It would take me time to figure the networking but I can do it. I know a little bit of programing. I can build a new system (or at least im trying) so far so good. I've change computer cases. I've made unattened install window discs w/ other things also installing. I know more than I appere to know. I know more than my computer teachers :p, but I'm only in grade school (last year of it)

OK, here's what you do. You stand outside Best Buy and tell people that if they are there to upgrade, after they make their purchase, you will install it for them for like $5. It's perfect! The Geek Squad charges $30 to install a stick of RAM! You could make a killing, assuming Best Buy doesn't kick you off immediately.

and what do you mean buy

I'm aware of this. I can put together a whole computer. I can do a good amount of trouble shooting but if something get screwed up like a cpu I won't have money to replace it and then I would be in big ass trouble

585363903[/snapback]

Sorry to break it to you, but you won't be hired by anyone. First of all, you don't have a degree. You won't be doing office work at your age.

Secondly, as someone already mentioned, you will probably only fix 3-5 computers over your summer - IF YOU GET LUCKY. Unless you have $700,000 in your pockets to buy yourself a store in a good location, then you're not going to get very far.

The site's not that great of an idea either, as I'm presuming he's too young for a credit card. As such, many people will refuse to even consider your service as they will need to pay with cold hard cash, and the process is just way too chaotic. Furthermore, I doubt computer illerate folks (which I'm assuming is your target audience) will trust online shopping; I know many who don't.

Once again, excuse me for the rather uninspiring comments, but there are many more qualified individuals out there for employers to hire. If you graduate from Computer Science, chances are that you'll know how to work with hardware, know how to actually create programs that utilize complex formulas (such as image processors), know several low-level languages such as x86 Assembly, etc. I doubt you can compete with guys with that level of knowledge, but I guess you should list your skills first.

Sorry to diminish your hopes, but I've seen too many failures in my lifetime :( .

Dude, do you even know how the internet works?

Do you know, a lot about high performance parts and systems such as RAID SCSI and SATA?

Do you know any thing about high performance grfx?

Do you know any thing about virus removal and data protection/forensics?

Do you know any thing about hardware troubleshooting, testing, configuration and management?

Do You know any thing about networking? And advanced network such as layered networking using BGP at router borders?

Do you know, any thing about constructing a computer?

If you know most of that and more, then you can be hired by a " computer store "

But i doubt that you know all of that.

Good luck anyway.

585363932[/snapback]

Please stop being rough on me (everyone) :cry:

All I want is a summer job. I need money. I get a max of $300 a year. I'm good at comptuer but willing to do just about anything. And my dad don't support me. He like I screw up my computer tough luck. He won't really help me. Won't buy anything for me even a simple fan. If he willing to get me or my sister anything he won't let me get any computer parts (fans, hd, etc....). I'm trying to convince him to let me buy a power supply of newegg. He doesn't think computer are meant for gaming. I just want some money. I want to get a decent comptuer that would last me for some time. After I get my good comptuer I'll have to start saving up for a laptop for college or maybe late years of highschool if I get enough money before hand.

So if anyone has any ideas it would be great

computer releated or not

im 13 i can do alot of stuff

those that u listed r such easy tasks

i just find neowin addicting and affecting my grades

i jus do them for free cuz seriously hoos gonna pay me

OK, here's what you do. You stand outside Best Buy and tell people that if they are there to upgrade, after they make their purchase, you will install it for them for like $5. It's perfect! The Geek Squad charges $30 to install a stick of RAM! You could make a killing, assuming Best Buy doesn't kick you off immediately.

585363983[/snapback]

:laugh: I like that idea put I bestbuy might get really mad at me. And I don't feel like being arrested

im 13 i can do alot of stuff

those that u listed r such easy tasks

i jus do them for free cuz seriously hoos gonna pay me

585364006[/snapback]

those are extremely easy. I can do those pretty fast. I just a want some kind of source of money. Really don't care how i get it. Well I do but I think you get my point.

i just find neowin addicting and affecting my grades

this is so true to me :)

What about mowing your neighbors lawn? Shoveling driveways? You know... the stuff most kids do? ****, be like the kid off of the man show and sell beer on a street corner. lol

im sorry but i would never trust a computer to a 13 years old..... just wait untill you're a little bit older, i mean what if you screw up a computer? how are you going to replace what you screwed up?

to make a long story short, i wouldnt even trust you with my 486 lol

Problem is there are laws and insurance that will stop employers from employing you for what you want to do.

There are risks when doing a tech job like that and employers dont wanna take the risk.

Also you wont have the qualifications to back you when looking for a job like that.

Just look for a local part time retail job at least it will give you some cash till your older and have the qualifications for something you actualy want to do.

What about mowing your neighbors lawn? Shoveling driveways? You know... the stuff most kids do? ****, be like the kid off of the man show and sell beer on a street corner. lol

585364025[/snapback]

now thats a great idea, thats what i used to do when i was a kid, when i was 12-13 i was making around 100-200$ a week during the summer mowing lawns

i have to admit this is hard work but this is as good as it will get for a 13 years old