New to Mac with questions

Allright, I finally got rid of the defective mac that i got from ebay and purchased myself a brand new 14' iBook. Now I have a couple of questions for you guys so I can get started on thr right foot.

*How do I install firefox so that annoying external looking disc icon would go away from my desktop. I downloaded the firefox-1.0.en-US.mac.dmg file but I dont know if there is any specific way to install it.

*I was also wondering how I take screenshots on a mac. My friends are all interested how my mac desktop looks like but i dont know how to capture screens.

*Ill update this when I think of more questions :p

just open the download it will mount the image then drag the Firefox icon to where ever you want it and that's it.

Screenshot = shift+apple button+3

585410780[/snapback]

That's pretty much it, but I'd recommend that you drag all the applications to the Applications folder.

just open the download it will mount the image then drag the Firefox icon to where ever you want it and that's it.

Screenshot = shift+apple button+3

585410780[/snapback]

Funny. I tried doing what you told me. I opened the download and it "mounted" or in my terms made that icon on my desktop with firefox in it. Then I made a folder in my HD named programs and dragged it in there. When I opened firefox, that icon came up again on my desktop. Is that supposed to happen? Let me show u a screenshot. And as you can see on the desktop. the same icon is on there. :( o wait..another problem. the image is saved as pdf and i cant show the pic. sorry for being a pain.

Id reccomend that you install all apps into Applications, after you drag the firefox application to the folder, right click on the "annoying" icon on the desktop and hit eject (name of image here)

sounds like you are REALLY new so lets start from the top

the firefox program came in a .dmg file that is like a zip file except rather then just unzipping it creates a virtual drive on the computer that is what the drive icon is on your desktop. to get rid of the virtual drive simply drag it to the trash ( the trash bin will turn to a eject icon)

you do not need to make a folder for programs there is one already on your computer it is on the left of the finder and its call applications rather then dragging the firefox program to the folder you made drag it to the standard app folder

now i forgot what else you needed to know so just reply back with questions

Allright I understand this now. When I first draged the firefox into the application folder i did it with that gay icon. I just put the firefox icon into the application and made a copy on my dock. I understand this now. Thank you for your help.

Ok. I got another question. I noticed that I have that airport thing (that is also a recharger for my mac) How do i connect it to my wireless microsoft base station?

EDIT..forget it, i dont. LOl. sorry.

Im back with another nooby question. I have a couple of videos that i want to play but they are .wmv format. What would I use to play those kind of files. I tried video lan but i only had the sound. the video would now show. :(

Ok. I got another question. I noticed that I have that airport thing (that is also a recharger for my mac) How do i connect it to my wireless microsoft base station?

EDIT..forget it, i dont. LOl. sorry.

585411024[/snapback]

:laugh: oh man that's funny :laugh:

Anyway congratulations on the new mac purchase! :)

I got another question guys. are there any other programs other then stuffit that can extract .rar files? Im looking for something simple like winRAR.

aww man, i got a BIG problem with my mac. For some reason, my airport extreme card is not being detected and I can not get any wireless internet now. And another thing is that my laptop start off really slowly! When i first turn it on. the Earth shows up in a box, then the old mac sign on a folder with a question make. and then by the apple sign, those lines that movie in a circle, take about 5 min to load. what might be the problem?

aww man, i got a BIG problem with my mac. For some reason, my airport extreme card is not being detected and I can not get any wireless internet now. And another thing is that my laptop start off really slowly! When i first turn it on. the Earth shows up in a box, then the old mac sign on a folder with a question make. and then by the apple sign, those lines that movie in a circle, take about 5 min to load. what might be the problem?

585435462[/snapback]

Sounds like you messed up your boot order. Go under the Apple menu, to System Preferences. In System Preferences, go to Startup Disk, and select Mac OS X, 10.3.7 on Macintosh HD.

Did you get a brand new iBook G4 or one off of Ebay or something? If it's not picking up sound or your Airport card, you may have a faulty iBook (or your settings may be so messed up that OS X has really gotten confused :p).

This is a brand new notebook. I fixed the problem. I just had to install all the updates and I was good. I have a question though. Are there any media players for os x that are similar to winamp?

hehe..well iTunes is defult but I was looking for something like winamp or xmms. I found winamp but i have to load os classic in order to run it. is there anything else that is made for the os x?

hehe..well iTunes is defult but I was looking for something like winamp or xmms. I found winamp but i have to load os classic in order to run it. is there anything else that is made for the os x?

585449173[/snapback]

Audion from Panic.

I would recommend just playing single files in Quicktime and keeping your music library in iTunes though, since the combination really packs a nice punch. I don't know how I could live without iTunes now.

It's me again :D . I want to try out some game demos for my mac before buying the actual games, but I dont really know what kind of games are avaliable for the mac. I am looking for racing games and fps games. Any ideas?