Linspire 5 Beta (Warning LARGE Images!)

Just install Linspire 5 Beta on VMware and have to say im VERY impressed, it looks and works grate!

Linspire Boot Screen

BootScreen.jpg

Click N Run

ClickNRun.jpg

Playing DvD's

DVDPlaying.jpg

First Boot Desktop

Desktop1.jpg

File Manager (With Grate Icons!)

FileManager.jpg

X Windows Starting

Lindows%20Starting.jpg

Login Screen

Login%20Screen.jpg

Gaim Messenger

Messenger.jpg

Mp3 Player

Mp3Player.jpg

Network Share Manager

Networking.jpg

Logout Screen

Reboot%20Screen.jpg

File System Files

SystemFiles.jpg

Thumbnails

Thumbnails.jpg

Tutorials

Tutorials.jpg

Video Player (Supports most formats)

Video1.jpg

Web Browser (www.dungeon-maker.com) Looks and works great

WebBrowser.jpg

Linspire have really got a good thing going here they have nice but not over the top eye candy and a good stable linux background. I really hope this help linux become more successful and i know if i new anyone getting a cheap computer for the first time Linspire is where i would point them (Just need the game industry to start working harder on Linux ports!)

Keep up the good work all the linspire team I give the latest version 9/10 !

Regards

MadMunky

Edited by madmunky

Looks good. Do you have to be an ubergeek to do simple things like.......get your modem to work? I've tried two linux distros and neither of them were clever enough to do it on their own (and i don't have the ability nor time to arse about with commands i don't understand.)

Linspire is Lindows. They had to change their name because of litigation from Microsoft.

This does look alot better from previous versions of Linspire I have tried, not only graphically but in usebility. Although there can be only so much that can be taken from screenshots.

Hm, is that somehow related to Lindows? Looks much like it!

585435786[/snapback]

Lindows changed its name to Linspire to do obvious reasons.

Yes it is much simpler to use then Mandrake, also there is a free version, but it doesnt include the point&click, I may be wrong on that point though. But I know for sure it doesnt include everything that the full paid version does.

There is also a similar distro called Xandros that is a bit more robust but just as easy to eas. But that is out of the scope of this review.

As its only beta still only insiders get it but i would expect a new release within the next couple of months, as for easy to use i would says its easyer than windows, if you subscribe to Click N Run then installing / removing software is only a click aways, it comes with loads of codecs install so dvds/divx/mpg/mp3 run out of the box.

I anyone wants a starting point for Linux i would defently recommend this distro by far the best ive tried.

I still can't believe they ripped iTunes (Lsongs) and iPhoto (Lphoto) off like that (not as good of course). Does it still support Windows files or did they dropped that? The icons everaldo made look cool, but all the white makes the system look so cold. But where did I see that folder icon style before? :rofl:

I have respect for this company espically because of there stupid ads against microsoft and then they try to sell $35-50 bundle of openoffice and firefox all free software you can download

don't even bother with linspire do suse or fedora for beginers.

quite a long way since the day they started on lindows. It's getting there in terms of making a desktop OS out of linux. I think this is the only company really striving to make linux easy to use for consumers. I don't like the fact that they mislead naive people thinking that it can run windows applications natively, but I've used version 4.5 and it works pretty well out of the box. Installation was painless and so is setting up things like network. There's always room for improvement before it can be user friendly like windows and macs, but by the looks of 5.0 beta, they are on the right track.

quite a long way since the day they started on lindows. It's getting there in terms of making a desktop OS out of linux. I think this is the only company really striving to make linux easy to use for consumers.

Like I said above, Lindows isnt the only one doing this, there is also Xandros. Except the big difference is that Lindows is aimed more at the desktop/home user while Xandros is aimed at the workstation/business user which is shown most prominently with the built-in VPN support.

Looks good.  Do you have to be an ubergeek to do simple things like.......get your modem to work?  I've tried two linux distros and neither of them were clever enough to do it on their own (and i don't have the ability nor time to arse about with commands i don't understand.)

585435785[/snapback]

^ What he said :yes: