Diskeeper or PerfectDisk

Diskeeper or PerfectDisk  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Diskeeper or PerfectDisk

• Diskeeper
    • PerfectDisk

Question

I have tried both Diskeeper and PerfectDisk and I must say they both took over 24 hours to defragmentate my 130gb partition and I never really noticed much of a speed difference.

Now however I have formatted my computer and I am looking to try either Diskeeper of PerfectDisk again. So which one do you think I should go for?

Feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. This is an independant thread from the "best defrager" as I only want feedback on the above mentioned two products. So dont be giving me stick about how this question is asked at least 10 times a week.

Thanks

Martyn

Edited by Martyn

Diskeeper is recomanded by my friends.

But man... I have never take the time to defrag my 80Gb...

Anyway... I don't like the Idea to move a "inuse" file on the HD when you defrag it...

I have use the windows defrag in the past from another partition/windows.

you will only get a response based on how many users respond, not which one is actually better, imo, perfectdisk...

either one you choose, the defragging will take a lot less time after the first couple of runs

Another diskeeper v's perfect disk thread.

I use diskeeper 9, have been using it since issue 5.

How you can state it took 24hrs to defrag a 130gb HD is beyond me. Must be something wrong with your HD.

Never tried PD, happy enough with DK, very good piece of kit.

This is a no brainer IMO. PD all the way! DK has to run in the background to work properly, which I hate programs doing. I like the option to defrag pagefile offline also in PD.

Yes, I've used them both also.

This is a no brainer IMO. PD all the way! DK has to run in the background to work properly, which I hate programs doing. I like the option to defrag pagefile offline also in PD.

Yes, I've used them both also.

585463452[/snapback]

You only need the background service if you wish to run "set it and forget it". I love Diskeeper 9. I never have to go out of my way to defrag my drives. It analyzes my drives daily and defrags when needed. I have the process set to low priority so, even if I'm running a game and it kicks in, I get no slowdown at all.

Diskeeper hands down. I think there is something wrong with your drive too - my 160GB of data defragmented in less than an hour. (w/50% improvement on fragment file read times).

Diskeeper hands down. I think there is something wrong with your drive too - my 160GB of data defragmented in less than an hour. (w/50% improvement on fragment file read times).

585463634[/snapback]

Thats why I formatted in the first place!:D:D

I have the process set to low priority so, even if I'm running a game and it kicks in, I get no slowdown at all.

585463518[/snapback]

excellent tip! thanks man :)

Never tried PD, happy enough with DK, very good piece of kit.

585463449[/snapback]

I use Diskeeper. Never tried PerfectDisk.

585464248[/snapback]

I'll go for Diskeeper. Never used PD before.

585464444[/snapback]

Overall, this thread won't help you as both apps are very good and most people haven't tried both of them.

From what I see diskeeper home costs less than perfectdisk and diskeeper pro costs more than perfecdisk ;)

Of course, if price isn't an issue :whistle: then I suggest you just pick one based on your specific needs and not on a poll and some posts.

I have tried both, and Diskeeper once screwed up my hard drive, making it report errors and then failing to boot entirely. I reformatted and moved on to Perfect Disk. The errors reported before have disappeared "mysteriously". All is well, fingers crossed it stays that way! :happy:

I am happy with DisKeeper. One thing I have noticed, is that after the initial defrag, I schedule a 'boot time' defrag to get all the folders together. After the 'Boot time' defrag completes, I go back and do a regular defrag. This seems to tie up any loose ends. Subsequent defrags will take much less time. One note, I inadvertantly defragged some image files and rendered them corrupt. I read somewhere that you should never defrag the image files, True Image and Ghost, so I take a bit more care when I run a defrag. I have continued with DisKeeper, simply because I am used to it now. Have read good reviews of Perfect Disk, but am reluctant to try a different defrag. The onliest defrag that caused me any serious problems was 'Speed Disk' that came with my Norton/Symantec System Works (I now have nothing that says Norton/Symantec/PowerQuest on my system.

I went of Diskeeper and it has been running a full defrag for about 3 hours on my 130gb partition and it has only done 16%!!

Its taking the same length of time as before I formatted, and now I have only used about 30gb of space were as before I was using 90gb. What is going on?

Do I have to disable any programs to get the best of of Diskeeper?

Thanks

Martyn

O&O Defrag ;)

i found it to be much better the both of those. And it has the background service if you want it.

Also It has the "stealth" mode. which will allow you to defrag large amounts quick.

I went of Diskeeper and it has been running a full defrag for about 3 hours on my 130gb partition and it has only done 16%!!

Its taking the same length of time as before I formatted, and now I have only used about 30gb of space were as before I was using 90gb. What is going on?

Do I have to disable any programs to get the best of of Diskeeper?

Thanks

Martyn

585465498[/snapback]

check your transfer mode. otherwise, your hdd is messed up.

diskeeper is teh suck!

perfectdisk does a much better job and uses smarter defrag methods! without all the bloat that a defrag utility shouldnt have.

I tried both to the end of their trials and I always felt PerfectDisk was better. Diskeeper never seemed to make much of a difference but with PerfectDisk there was quite a noticeable difference. I am actually thinking about buying it.