Speaking to high-school students at the company's campus in Redmond, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer talked about the Xbox successor and the next generation console war, among other topics.

In response to the first question regarding the next Xbox, Ballmer said:

"When you see the new Xbox, you're going to think it's un? -- well, let me say it politely -- unbelievable. Just unbelievable. The graphics, what it can do, the way things look, huge innovation. Rumors are that we'll see that product sometime soon. I couldn't comment, of course, on those rumors. But it's an amazing, amazing innovation."

When asked about the next-generation war and how he thinks the Xbox successor will perform against Nintendo and Sony, Ballmer said:"I think we?re going to blow by Sony with our next box. I absolutely think we?re going to kick their backsides, so to speak.k. I think Xbox 1 has been a fantastic product. We?re not market leaders yet. There?s Sony, there?s us, there?s Nintendo. When we get Xbox 2 in the market, there?s going to be Xbox and the other guys."

In what it is by now his trademark style, Ballmer raised his voice until he noticed he was pulling off a Jerry Maguire, as the audience laughed and applauded. "I'm feeling a little frisky on this topic right now!" said Ballmer and concluded his answer.

This is not the first time Ballmer goes on record about the Xbox successor. Last year, Ballmer said in an interview with C|Net News.com that "We've generated something brand new. I bet we can take Sony next generation. I am betting we can take Sony in the next generation."

Finally, the same person who made the previous question asked what would make the Xbox successor stand out over Sony?s PlayStation 3 and Nintendo?s Revolution. Here is what Ballmer said.

"Why do people buy one game console over another? As we say around here, 'Duh, it's the games.' Partly they're great games because they have great graphics, they have great processing, they have great this, they've got great that, but it's about getting great games. So, there's two parts to that: Number one, we have to make sure we have a great environment, software environment for people to write games, games that connect to one another, games that are social, games that are hard-core. We've got to make sure we let people write great games. But then, number two, we, Microsoft, have to write a number of really great games to show it off. What is 'Halo 2?' It's the greatest video game ever written. It shows off Xbox 1, and we?ve got some more games coming that will be the greatest video games ever written, and they?ll show off Xbox 2."

Source

Ha ha, its always funny when people predict their pro:rofl:are going to rock :rofl:

"I think we?re going to blow by Sony with our next box. I absolutely think we?re going to kick their backsides, so to speak.

585473255[/snapback]

LoL....

Speculation and Media-Hype... SO original.

whats soo funny? xbox games do rock.. take halo2 for example.. its THE best game ever written in 2004 atleast (console wise)

585473270[/snapback]

hhahaha :rofl: :whistle:

sorry but that's not true not even in consoles.

""I think we?re going to blow by Sony with our next box. I absolutely think we?re going to kick their backsides, so to speak.""

yes, hes right. it will blow.

lmao, learn to speak correctly you dumb ****.

Ballmer is an idiot.  Everything he says is a slash at another company.

But I do love my XBox, but all it has really is Halo :/ and Live.

585473292[/snapback]

thats business, some people will feed onto it some wont, you can fool some of the people some time but never all the people all the time (i think that how it goes) and the some people equal sales

What is 'Halo 2?' It's the greatest video game ever written.

I never understood the hype about Halo2 . Maybe it's because I don't play it often enough to be able to appreciate it. What's so great about it that makes everyone buy it the moment it comes out? The graphics? Game play?

Whatever the case is, it's definitely NOT the greatest video game ever written.

whats soo funny? xbox games do rock.. take halo2 for example.. its THE best game ever written in 2004 atleast (console wise)

585473270[/snapback]

I was laughing at Ballmer's insane comments, not at Xbox or its games.

well lets put it this way

final fantasy, are awesome! i would love to play one for xbox!

but i only like to beat it once, and thats it! as for halo 2, i can KEEp playing it, cause its still interesting online! now i wanna beat offline again, the story wasn't all that bad

I believe XBox 2 will be the best console.  It is all still hype, though.  I would bet Nintendo won't even really be in the running unless something changes drastically.

585473313[/snapback]

thats what we said about the DS....

why does this remind me of the dreamcast? didn't something like this happen? everyone raved about sega's brainchild and then sony released the ps2 like a year later or so and the dreamcast just totally died. for some reason, i don't think microsoft quite understands how the gaming market really works. it appeared that the xbox was a failure in japan because it was aimed at the average all american frat boy. hopefully xbox2 will offer more than just a media center and then i might consider buying it.

I believe XBox 2 will be the best console.  It is all still hype, though.  I would bet Nintendo won't even really be in the running unless something changes drastically.

585473313[/snapback]

PS3 is alot more powerfull and will win because of graphics. Nintendo is dead IMO, they have nothing left. The console department stinks and the handheld sides is slowly getting overrun in japan by PSP. If PSP really sells as much as sony expects (and sonys gaming products usually do) Nintendo wont have anything left. I really hope sony makes a nice broadband only pay online gaming service such as live, its just so nice.

i don't think microsoft quite understands how the gaming market really works. it appeared that the xbox was a failure in japan because it was aimed at the average all american frat boy.

585473428[/snapback]

I think that the Japanese will keep buying Sony's consoles no matter how good/better other consoles are; just my opinion.

"When you see the new Xbox, you're going to think it's un? -- well, let me say it politely -- unbelievable. Just unbelievable. The graphics, what it can do, the way things lookhuge innovationb>. Rumors are that we'll see that product sometime soon. I couldn't comment, of course, on those rumors. But it's an amazing, amazininnovationb>.""I think we?re going to blow by Sony with our next box. I absolutely think we?re going to kick their backsides, so to speak.k.

"Why do people buy one game console over another? As we say around here, 'it's the gameses.' Partly they're great games because they have great graphics, they have great processing,

that pretty much sums up what he said. he didn't really answer the questions about Nintendo. and from what this story said. he more focuses on console power over everything else. Hes also not afraid of the PS3.

There is also something else he doesn't seem to be talking about. something "innovative" but what could it be? could it be as mysterious as the Revolution? as for my thoughts ont he PS3. Sony wouldn't be stupid not to make changes to their console.. they MUST have something innovative in it besides games and graphics. From the roumers on the other consoles and this, it sounds like the X-box 2 will be on par with its competitors.. if not a little behind (innovation wise). Graphic wise, i don't know.. it would be a tough race for the PS3/X-box 2.

I think that the Japanese will keep buying Sony's consoles no matter how good/better other consoles are; just my opinion.

Nintendo is also Japanese, just so you know.

Nintendo is dead IMO, they have nothing left. The console department stinks and the handheld sides is slowly getting overrun in japan by PSP. If PSP really sells as much as sony expects (and sonys gaming products usually do) Nintendo wont have anything left.

nah.. if i want to play sony games, i'll keep my PS2. and Nintendo isn't dead. Just because you don't like them means they are dead. I love my gamecube, you don't. Nintendo set the right price for their console.. and its got the right party games for my friends and I. Nintendo is here to stay, they been in the console market longer than Microsoft/Sony/sega?? just because they have one system you don't like doesn't mean that they are going to be drop dead horrible.

in my opinion, nintendo is trying to change and people like you like the old ways and don't accept the change. Nintendo is aware of its kiddy image and you can see from the latest commercials and slogans "who are you?" that Nintendo is starting to change.. i would appreciate a reply from you, as you opposed my opinion 2 times in the last 30 days and havn't answered me yet. Im opposing your opinion this time.

Edited by Dale

I've been a playstation fan since the PS1 is out. I currently own a PS2 and think about getting a PS3 when it's out... the only problem I think about the PS3 will be the price. If it costs more than 400 CAD, I'm not buying it.

The Xbox 2 doesn't look pretty innovative compared to the PS3, believe me on that. There are many new technologies in the PS3. Xbox 2 is will be a modded PC just like Xbox was... Ballmer is way too confident by saying such things.

I dont usually comment on rumors but the word from people who have worked on x box is people have no clue what they are in for. also the word is there are talks with several game companies to put few of the most popular game on x box ( i.e. ) finaly fantasy we already know resident evil 4 is coming to x box so we shall see.