Rumour mill claims Longhorn has a real name

DO WE HAVE the new name of Longhorn revealed today? According to sources at Microsoft, we think we might. While Longhorn has been the much-mentioned codename for the next-generation Windows technology, a Microsoft mole came to us at the weekend with some news of high-level branding discussions that appear to have yielded a name for the new Windows. It could all just be the rankest of speculation, however.

Microsoft Windows e-XPedition

Source: The Inquirer

[quote name='Coffeee?' date='Feb 21 2005, 06:43:huh:h:&nbsp:ninja:a: I dont know why, but i doubt that.

585509073[/snapback]

Prolly 'cause the source is The Inquirer.

DO WE HAVE the new name of Longhorn revealed today? According to sources at Microsoft, we think we might. While Longhorn has been the much-mentioned codename for the next-generation Windows technology, a Microsoft mole came to us at the weekend with some news of high-level branding discussions that appear to have yielded a name for the new Windows. It could all just be the rankest of speculation, however.

Microsoft Windows e-XPedition.

Expedition, geddit? Apparently, marketing suits are happy that the name evokes ideas of the 'e-home' as well as the familiar 'XP' and Media Centre 'Edition', elements of which are all found in Longhorn. It also echoes the 'Where do you want to go today?' slogan, which has become a Microsoft catchphrase.

We couldn't get any confirmation of the name from anyone within Microsoft, so you can treat this one as a rumour for now. We are, however, expecting an announcement pretty soon - possibly at WinHEC, to counteract the negative buzz of not actually showing a Beta version of the OS there.

Will man land on Mars before Longhorn ships? We think we should be told.

Where do you want to go today?? ==> e-XPedition!!! :woot:

I think microsoft should send their marketing team on a long (horn *cough*) eXPedition of a really short pier if thats what they came up with, I really hope thats fake.

I hope that mole can swim...

It just makes me think I'm getting a re-vamped product. Not this brand new thing, which is going to revolutionise the PC world.. which is what most of the hype has been.

Im well aware of their reputation for questionable things neo4051, which is why I say I hope they are wrong and considering that name, they probably are.